QB Leash

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Leash

Post by Jarhead »

Ty Detmer has reiterated that Mangum is going to be the starter this weekend. However, he has strongly indicated that if Mangum underperforms, we will see Critchlow.

How long do you think the leash on Mangum will be? How many consecutive bad series gets him pulled?

Last week I thought they should have pulled the trigger at halftime. This week, I will be really upset if Mangum continues with his current performance and sees any second half action.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: QB Leash

Post by hawkwing »

I imagine Mangum will get the first half and Critchlow will get the second half.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Doing the same thing over and over again equals the definition of denial and insanity.
They should keep Tanner on the bench with a plausible excuse that his ankle just is not better. And only bring him in in the second half if Critchlow is totally looking bad.
Instead, if they start Tanner and then pull him, it will devastate him and he very likely will have gone from a supposed potential early departure for the draft to a total bomb out in less than seven games. What a football tragedy.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm They should keep Tanner on the bench with a plausible excuse that his ankle just is not better.
And this would have been 100% true for BSU. Also would have given the fans and coaches a chance to see Critchlow in action for an entire game. If he plays great, keep him rolling. If he stinks it up, like I think he would have, Mangum gets another roll with the dice.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

So if Hoge and Mangum are hurt, and if Crichlow stinks, should coaches pull the redshirt from Wilstead?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I would give Mangum four drives.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

SpiffCoug wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:20 am I would give Mangum four drives.
That sounds about right to me.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Let Mangum play as much as possible this game then start Critchlow the rest of the season. It's not fair to throw Critchlow at an SEC defense for his first start when he's barely even been getting first team reps in practice. But he clearly needs A LOT of playing time this season. I just have a feeling that whoever is the QB is going to get eaten alive.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am Let Mangum play as much as possible this game then start Critchlow the rest of the season. It's not fair to throw Critchlow at an SEC defense for his first start when he's barely even been getting first team reps in practice. But he clearly needs A LOT of playing time this season. I just have a feeling that whoever is the QB is going to get eaten alive.
As much as I want to see Critchlow, I agree with you.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

byufan4ever wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am Let Mangum play as much as possible this game then start Critchlow the rest of the season. It's not fair to throw Critchlow at an SEC defense for his first start when he's barely even been getting first team reps in practice. But he clearly needs A LOT of playing time this season. I just have a feeling that whoever is the QB is going to get eaten alive.
Such a good point, I may abandon my criticism of going back to Tanner one more time.
Scuttle the boat on the veterans efforts. Well, maybe that's too dire. How about, Let the ship submerge, sink or float on Tanners time. Let Tanner get gobsmacked and reinjured so that the rook can save the day another day or at least not get blamed for a most certain loss.