Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Post Reply
User avatar
mtnradio
Junior
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by mtnradio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I've been thinking about the season (and I agree to the liberating effect of low expectations), and I've been thinking about the future (where fan expectations cannot be low ...). I can overlook a bad season (even a 3-9 season ... look at Michigan State last year). I can accept the argument that a new offensive scheme takes a while and different personnel to make work, and that the defense would be better if they didn't have to play the whole game .... blah blah blah ...

But maybe what bothers me the most is: the offense has had, what, less than 10, less than 5 good drives this YEAR? We aren't seeing even the building blocks of success. Normally you would expect the team to be able to mount a solid drive at least once or twice in a game, and should have several. But the Coug haven't ... or maybe I've missed them (frankly, I've been busy and with low expectations, my interest level is lower too ... even with a nephew on the team).

So, where is my optimism for the future supposed to come from? This is an honest question, and I'm looking to you guys for input. I really don't want this to be another "negative Nelly" thread ... I really am not interested in this being another bash on the coaches or players thread. I do believe that BYU is a great school and great seasons will come again ... but is there anything you are seeing on the field that helps you feel optimistic?
In the cause of improving the human condition,throughout the history of man, Socialism has never succeeded and Freedom has never failed.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9093
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by Mars » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:15 pm

No.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5565
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by frdbtr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 pm

mtnradio wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm
I've been thinking about the season (and I agree to the liberating effect of low expectations), and I've been thinking about the future (where fan expectations cannot be low ...). I can overlook a bad season (even a 3-9 season ... look at Michigan State last year). I can accept the argument that a new offensive scheme takes a while and different personnel to make work, and that the defense would be better if they didn't have to play the whole game .... blah blah blah ...

But maybe what bothers me the most is: the offense has had, what, less than 10, less than 5 good drives this YEAR? We aren't seeing even the building blocks of success. Normally you would expect the team to be able to mount a solid drive at least once or twice in a game, and should have several. But the Coug haven't ... or maybe I've missed them (frankly, I've been busy and with low expectations, my interest level is lower too ... even with a nephew on the team).

So, where is my optimism for the future supposed to come from? This is an honest question, and I'm looking to you guys for input. I really don't want this to be another "negative Nelly" thread ... I really am not interested in this being another bash on the coaches or players thread. I do believe that BYU is a great school and great seasons will come again ... but is there anything you are seeing on the field that helps you feel optimistic?
Not with this coaching staff No. I have no optimism that they will get this turned around.

a1247
All-American
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:32 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by a1247 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am

Freshmen RB, receivers, and TE. And possible a new redheaded QB.

Next year all the players who transferred in this last summer will be eligible. There is a lot of talent standing in street cloths on the sidelines unable to play because of transfer rules. If you include those players in last year's recruiting class byu would have had a top 25 class.

BYU is trying to run a pro style offense with players who were recruited to play a spread and the defense is trying to run a 4-3 with players recruited to play a 3-4.

I'm trying to be positive and not bash anyone.

User avatar
mtnradio
Junior
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by mtnradio » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:27 am

a1247 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am
Freshmen RB, receivers, and TE. And possible a new redheaded QB.

Next year all the players who transferred in this last summer will be eligible. There is a lot of talent standing in street cloths on the sidelines unable to play because of transfer rules. If you include those players in last year's recruiting class byu would have had a top 25 class.

BYU is trying to run a pro style offense with players who were recruited to play a spread and the defense is trying to run a 4-3 with players recruited to play a 3-4.

I'm trying to be positive and not bash anyone.
No bashing there, thanks! I guess I didn't realize we have that many players who can't play due to transfer rules. I'm glad to hear that! Thank you!
In the cause of improving the human condition,throughout the history of man, Socialism has never succeeded and Freedom has never failed.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5606
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by Gunk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm

My only optimism comes from the knowledge that for changes to be made it has to get worse.

I was skeptical of Detmer from the beginning. Hiring Cahoon, a coach with a poor track record, was a huge red flag in my book. Hiring Mahe, a coach with no experience and one that didn't even play RB, as RB coach was another red flag. Too many red flags. Too many poor decisions. Yet, the decisions were made and rather than act quickly to rectify the situation, Holmoe is sticking to his poor decisions. We have to get so bad, that it forces change.

Keep in mind, Bronco wasn't let go. I highly doubt Holmoe would have ever let Bronco go (understandably so) despite all the clamor from fans and boosters. Sitake and Co aren't going anywhere until it gets so bad Holmoe is forced to make a change or BYU is forced to fire Holmoe.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9219
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by BroncoBot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Gunk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm
...or BYU is forced to fire Holmoe.
I'm not convinced this will or should happen. Holmoe has done a great job overall.

User avatar
mtnradio
Junior
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by mtnradio » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Gunk,
I agree on Cahoon and Mahe. They may be nice guys, and may have done well when they played ... but they aren't doing well as coaches. I think Mahe may have screwed up Canada ... sad.

But I have to agree with BroncoBot ... not sure Holmoe would get fired no matter how bad Sitake does. Athletics are relatively clean and profitable ... why get rid of the guy at the helm for that? BUT, football generally pays for most other sports at BYU and if this abyssmal football performance hurts that income, maybe things will happen. (Although someone should really do something about those football ticket prices ...!)
In the cause of improving the human condition,throughout the history of man, Socialism has never succeeded and Freedom has never failed.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5565
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by frdbtr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am

Gunk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm
My only optimism comes from the knowledge that for changes to be made it has to get worse.

I was skeptical of Detmer from the beginning. Hiring Cahoon, a coach with a poor track record, was a huge red flag in my book. Hiring Mahe, a coach with no experience and one that didn't even play RB, as RB coach was another red flag. Too many red flags. Too many poor decisions. Yet, the decisions were made and rather than act quickly to rectify the situation, Holmoe is sticking to his poor decisions. We have to get so bad, that it forces change.

Keep in mind, Bronco wasn't let go. I highly doubt Holmoe would have ever let Bronco go (understandably so) despite all the clamor from fans and boosters. Sitake and Co aren't going anywhere until it gets so bad Holmoe is forced to make a change or BYU is forced to fire Holmoe.
Bronco wasn't fired but I think he was encouraged to look for employment elsewhere because the boosters and football alumni weren't happy with him. Well these moron's got their Lavell guy, someone who was a former player who is personable......who now has a 1-5 soon to be 1-6 record.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Posts: 6780
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Maybe this is what bothers me the most ...

Post by Cougs_Rule » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am

frdbtr wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am
Gunk wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm
My only optimism comes from the knowledge that for changes to be made it has to get worse.

I was skeptical of Detmer from the beginning. Hiring Cahoon, a coach with a poor track record, was a huge red flag in my book. Hiring Mahe, a coach with no experience and one that didn't even play RB, as RB coach was another red flag. Too many red flags. Too many poor decisions. Yet, the decisions were made and rather than act quickly to rectify the situation, Holmoe is sticking to his poor decisions. We have to get so bad, that it forces change.

Keep in mind, Bronco wasn't let go. I highly doubt Holmoe would have ever let Bronco go (understandably so) despite all the clamor from fans and boosters. Sitake and Co aren't going anywhere until it gets so bad Holmoe is forced to make a change or BYU is forced to fire Holmoe.
Bronco wasn't fired but I think he was encouraged to look for employment elsewhere because the boosters and football alumni weren't happy with him. Well these moron's got their Lavell guy, someone who was a former player who is personable......who now has a 1-5 soon to be 1-6 record.
Before you tee off on the boosters, don't forget that they are providing BYU with more money, alot more money, and the chance to Be more competitive with pay. Otherwise BoT would likely keep BYU sports, esp football, with even lower salaries and thus in the dark ages or cancelled altogether. Bronco disdained big donors/boosters and the power/control/influence they had. It's too bad really.
Kalani should give some of his salary back until he earns it. And now as recruits start to jump ship, the real hemoraging starts. He needs some major magic or miracles or lucky breaks cause this ship is taking on alot of water and he doesnt have the skilled coaches to know how to bail out water. And he's losing his team which portends the most dismal season at BYU in more than half a century and most all fans entire lifetime.

Post Reply