BSU game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by Sammich »

BSU scored 17 points in the first half. 3 of those from Mangum's turnover. I don't see how you can put the other 14 on Mangum's shoulders.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I'm not saying Tanner's going to win us the game, but the criticism is a bit misdirected when the whole team is playing poorly.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Sammich wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm BSU scored 17 points in the first half. 3 of those from Mangum's turnover. I don't see how you can put the other 14 on Mangum's shoulders.
No but an offense should be able to score 14 or more points shouldn't they?

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

a1247 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 pm [quote=Sammich post_id=239235 time=<a href="tel:1507350639">1507350639</a> user_id=5368]
BSU scored 17 points in the first half. 3 of those from Mangum's turnover. I don't see how you can put the other 14 on Mangum's shoulders.
[/quote]
Probably, but an offense is more than Mangum. Our backs and receivers can't make anyone miss, and our play caller keeps calling for 5 yd throws which demand yac, so Mangum would have to be 100% to make up the difference. Defense can't seem to get off the field right now, but I guess that's on Mangum somehow too?

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

Sammich wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 pm
a1247 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 pm [quote=Sammich post_id=239235 time=<a href="tel:1507350639">1507350639</a> user_id=5368]
Probably, but an offense is more than Mangum. Our backs and receivers can't make anyone miss, and our play caller keeps calling for 5 yd throws which demand yac, so Mangum would have to be 100% to make up the difference. Defense can't seem to get off the field right now, but I guess that's on Mangum somehow too?
[/quote]

The defense got off the field and then the offense gave it right back.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

Sammich wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 pm
[/quote]
Absolutely not on Mangum it's on the whole team. Offense is pathetic and the defense plays soft. This team has no identity outside of losers.
Mangum is not a good QB and the "wild cougar" is not an offense. Blow it all up start over and bring in one of the redshirt freshmen, it's time to start building on the future because the present is a waste.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The redshirt freshman wouldn't make any difference. This is a bad football team. Offensively, Defensively and special teams. The whole team is a mess. This coaching staff has ruined a team that averaged 9 wins under Bronco for 11 years in the short period of time that it took to graduate Hill and Williams.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 pm The redshirt freshman wouldn't make any difference. This is a bad football team. Offensively, Defensively and special teams. The whole team is a mess. This coaching staff has ruined a team that averaged 9 wins under Bronco for 11 years in the short period of time that it took to graduate Hill and Williams.
If defense keeps Boise from scoring any more than they have done their job according to Bronco. #magic24points

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Bronco's defense shut this BSU team off in a blowout win for Virginia a couple of weeks ago. I watched that game. This defense has an unearned reputation. If this defense was good, it wouldn't give up 1st downs on 3rd and long consistently. This team is getting harder to watch. Being a loyal fan, I can't turn it off but this is bad football all the way around.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Dude, this is not a great defense. But, they are not doing terribly. They have to go out there series after series knowing that their offense probably isn't going to do anything. What do you expect will happen long term. The defense has not been stellar, but the failure is on the offense.