BSU game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9091
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: BSU game thread

Post by Mars » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 am

Yeah, calling this defense average seems to be giving them a lot more credit than they deserve. They aren't horrible, and they're much better than our offense, but they are still below average.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by Brayden Green » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am

frdbtr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:04 am
Brayden Green wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:58 am
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 pm
BYU has some good players, they should be playing better than this.
Fred Warner, Khyris Tonga, Tejan Koroma ...

Who else would you consider good on this team? Face it, this team is a bunch of scrubs. Bronco left the cupboard super bare. Jamal and Taysom were lipstick on a very, very ugly pig.
Bronco was taking these same types of players and fielding top 25 defenses on a yearly basis. Don't try to pull the cupboard is bare BS. It won't fly with me. Bronco averaged 9 wins per year with schedules just like this one. This team has plenty of talent to beat USU and this years BSU team. BYU should have beat the utes this year. We should have put up 60 on that bad PSU team. This is not a talent problem, it is a coaching problem on both sides of the ball.
Leaving aside your top 25 claim for another time... you didn't answer the question. So name me our good players. You made a claim it wasn't on the players, ("we have some good players") and that it is all on coaching.

So.... What about that? The truth is, the cupboard is extremely bare. Bronco and Anae did a suck-tastic job recruiting 4 and 5 years ago, and now his chickens are coming home to roost in the form of little to no senior leadership and contribution, and very little talent depth.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

selway
Gray Shirt
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by selway » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am

No problem playing Critchlow. It is time to find a quarterback. Tanner has been a major disappointment it was clear after the bowl game he has no accuracy.

McY
BLUEshirt
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by McY » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 am

Ok,ok, we are all upset that this team and it’s record stinks this year. I’m with you on that. But though many may disagree with me, and as painful and difficult as it is to see a 5 game slide, I’m inclined to say that patience with the team, coaching, and staff will pay off in a positive way. I don’t know what changes to the coaching staff are coming, if any, or when they will be made. But, I don’t think they will be made this year, not should they be. I could be wrong. I just think we need to give the coaches and players more time, difficult as that may be. You may say I’m less of a fan for not screaming to torch the coaches or criticizing the players’ subpar performance, but I don’t give a rip if anyone thinks that. I love BYU and BYU Sports and am super disappointed with this team this year. But I’m ok with being patient and giving the coaches and players more time. That’s how I’m choosing to deal with the great mental anguish caused by being 1-5. And I’m also ok with anyone who disagrees with my opinion. 8)

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5606
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by Gunk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 am

McY wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 am
Ok,ok, we are all upset that this team and it’s record stinks this year. I’m with you on that. But though many may disagree with me, and as painful and difficult as it is to see a 5 game slide, I’m inclined to say that patience with the team, coaching, and staff will pay off in a positive way. I don’t know what changes to the coaching staff are coming, if any, or when they will be made. But, I don’t think they will be made this year, not should they be. I could be wrong. I just think we need to give the coaches and players more time, difficult as that may be. You may say I’m less of a fan for not screaming to torch the coaches or criticizing the players’ subpar performance, but I don’t give a rip if anyone thinks that. I love BYU and BYU Sports and am super disappointed with this team this year. But I’m ok with being patient and giving the coaches and players more time. That’s how I’m choosing to deal with the great mental anguish caused by being 1-5. And I’m also ok with anyone who disagrees with my opinion. 8)
Fair enough. I think we're all fans here.

But for the time being, Holmoe shouldn't be charging $100 per ticket.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5565
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by frdbtr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am
frdbtr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:04 am
Brayden Green wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:58 am
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 pm
BYU has some good players, they should be playing better than this.
Fred Warner, Khyris Tonga, Tejan Koroma ...

Who else would you consider good on this team? Face it, this team is a bunch of scrubs. Bronco left the cupboard super bare. Jamal and Taysom were lipstick on a very, very ugly pig.
Bronco was taking these same types of players and fielding top 25 defenses on a yearly basis. Don't try to pull the cupboard is bare BS. It won't fly with me. Bronco averaged 9 wins per year with schedules just like this one. This team has plenty of talent to beat USU and this years BSU team. BYU should have beat the utes this year. We should have put up 60 on that bad PSU team. This is not a talent problem, it is a coaching problem on both sides of the ball.
Leaving aside your top 25 claim for another time... you didn't answer the question. So name me our good players. You made a claim it wasn't on the players, ("we have some good players") and that it is all on coaching.

So.... What about that? The truth is, the cupboard is extremely bare. Bronco and Anae did a suck-tastic job recruiting 4 and 5 years ago, and now his chickens are coming home to roost in the form of little to no senior leadership and contribution, and very little talent depth.
Oh, I don't know.....Tanner Mangum looked like a Pro in the making under Anae. I think Talon Shumway has a lot of talent. Micah simon, Beau Tanner, Jonah Trinniman. We have guys offensively. Defensively, Corbin Kaufusi is a good player, The other D end that was "unstoppable" in fall ball, forgetting his name. The Warner Brothers, Dayan Lake, all good players. The safeties are no names but I can guarantee you that Bronco would have this talent playing better than it is. He always had a top 25 ranked defense and Virginia with less talent is playing way better defense than we are. The fact is, everyone was tired of Bronco's consistency and wanted to get "to the next level" well we found out that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. the "master recruiter" has not only NOT recruited better than Bronco, but his coaching has destroyed a 9 win average team. I like Sitake, it makes me feel bad to hear the disappointment in his voice after every loss but he is a bad HC and BYU is never going to be good with him as coach. It is time to cut our losses and find a coach that can get us back to the Bronco level, at least.

McY
BLUEshirt
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by McY » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Gunk wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:37 am
McY wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 am
Ok,ok, we are all upset that this team and it’s record stinks this year. I’m with you on that. But though many may disagree with me, and as painful and difficult as it is to see a 5 game slide, I’m inclined to say that patience with the team, coaching, and staff will pay off in a positive way. I don’t know what changes to the coaching staff are coming, if any, or when they will be made. But, I don’t think they will be made this year, not should they be. I could be wrong. I just think we need to give the coaches and players more time, difficult as that may be. You may say I’m less of a fan for not screaming to torch the coaches or criticizing the players’ subpar performance, but I don’t give a rip if anyone thinks that. I love BYU and BYU Sports and am super disappointed with this team this year. But I’m ok with being patient and giving the coaches and players more time. That’s how I’m choosing to deal with the great mental anguish caused by being 1-5. And I’m also ok with anyone who disagrees with my opinion. 8)
Fair enough. I think we're all fans here.

But for the time being, Holmoe shouldn't be charging $100 per ticket.
Hopefully, those aren’t a precursor of what is to come once the team recovers. Though with the number of games I go to, I suppose ticket price is not much of a factor for me personally but still sounds pretty high.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9219
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by BroncoBot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:59 am
frdbtr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:04 am
Brayden Green wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:58 am
frdbtr wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 pm
BYU has some good players, they should be playing better than this.
Fred Warner, Khyris Tonga, Tejan Koroma ...

Who else would you consider good on this team? Face it, this team is a bunch of scrubs. Bronco left the cupboard super bare. Jamal and Taysom were lipstick on a very, very ugly pig.
Bronco was taking these same types of players and fielding top 25 defenses on a yearly basis. Don't try to pull the cupboard is bare BS. It won't fly with me. Bronco averaged 9 wins per year with schedules just like this one. This team has plenty of talent to beat USU and this years BSU team. BYU should have beat the utes this year. We should have put up 60 on that bad PSU team. This is not a talent problem, it is a coaching problem on both sides of the ball.
Leaving aside your top 25 claim for another time... you didn't answer the question. So name me our good players. You made a claim it wasn't on the players, ("we have some good players") and that it is all on coaching.

So.... What about that? The truth is, the cupboard is extremely bare. Bronco and Anae did a suck-tastic job recruiting 4 and 5 years ago, and now his chickens are coming home to roost in the form of little to no senior leadership and contribution, and very little talent depth.
BYU defense (under Bronco) always rode 2-3 players hard. It wasn't like bronco had 8 - 9 out of 11 players who were going to the NFL on defense, and he had much better defenses on average. What happened to Takitaki? Kaufusi outside of USU has looked meh. Troy Warner was supposed to be a real stud. Hanneman has the athletic ability to be an NFL player. I don't get why this team continually gives up 3rd downs and often LONG 3rd downs.

Post Reply