BSU game thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BSU game thread

Post by frdbtr »

Detmer should "resign" tomorrow. I don't know who could take over the offense but it isn't working with him. I would like to see Ed Lamb take over the defense. They need to move Kaufusi back to the Dline coach and Tuiaki back to linebackers. Both of those groups are performing worse this year than last year and that was an off season change. Once we get done with this season with 2 or 3 wins, we need to re-evaluate whether The entire coaching staff should be sent packing. This kind of football is unwatchable.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 pm Bronco's defense shut this BSU team off in a blowout win for Virginia a couple of weeks ago. I watched that game. This defense has an unearned reputation. If this defense was good, it wouldn't give up 1st downs on 3rd and long consistently. This team is getting harder to watch. Being a loyal fan, I can't turn it off but this is bad football all the way around.
Actually, BSU scored 23 points against Bronco’s D and 24 against BYU. Odd, because BSU looked more dominant as the game progressed against us and VA looked better than the score. We should win when ho,ding a team to 24 points. Our O doesn’t have it in them this year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 am
frdbtr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 pm Bronco's defense shut this BSU team off in a blowout win for Virginia a couple of weeks ago. I watched that game. This defense has an unearned reputation. If this defense was good, it wouldn't give up 1st downs on 3rd and long consistently. This team is getting harder to watch. Being a loyal fan, I can't turn it off but this is bad football all the way around.
Actually, BSU scored 23 points against Bronco’s D and 24 against BYU. Odd, because BSU looked more dominant as the game progressed against us and VA looked better than the score. We should win when ho,ding a team to 24 points. Our O doesn’t have it in them this year.
They scored 9 points in garbage time in the 4th quarter. Bronco's d gave up 30 yards rushing and had the BSU QB running for his life all game. BSU may have put up 23 but there was a major difference in how comfortable BSU's offense looked on the field.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

One other point. Bronco's Virginia team has been an ACC doormat for years. Bronco took over a very under talented team and is going to coach them to a bowl game. This coaching staff took over a team that has 9 win talent and is now going to coach them to 2-3 wins.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:03 am
They scored 9 points in garbage time in the 4th quarter. Bronco's d gave up 30 yards rushing and had the BSU QB running for his life all game. BSU may have put up 23 but there was a major difference in how comfortable BSU's offense looked on the field.
Boise had 363 total yards against Virginia. They only had 303 against BYU.

BYU's defense could have been better, but they absolutely were not BAD.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

BYU's defense Has the potential to be much better, but they absolutely were not BAD.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Jarhead wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 am

BYU's defense could have been better, but they absolutely were not BAD.
They turned BSU into a 1 armed fighter and had the QB running for his life. This with less talent than we have on defense. They looked physical and dominant. they gave up 9 points in garbage time with their backups in. They played better. BYU's defense is not a good defense this year. They are playing better than the offense but they are also giving up plays that would put our offense back out on the field. They are also part of the reason BYU is 1-5 right now.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Well for BYU's defense garbage time starts once the other team gets above 11 points, because our offense averages less than 11 points per game.

If actual statistics don't matter to you, just the "eye" test, I don't know what to tell you.

They only gave up a single score in the second half. The offense had plenty of chances. They stunk. Defense was okay. You obviously have a very different definition for the word bad than several others of us on this forum.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Jarhead wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 am Well for BYU's defense garbage time starts once the other team gets above 11 points, because our offense averages less than 11 points per game.

If actual statistics don't matter to you, just the "eye" test, I don't know what to tell you.

They only gave up a single score in the second half. The offense had plenty of chances. They stunk. Defense was okay. You obviously have a very different definition for the word bad than several others of us on this forum.
Good defenses don't give up 75 yard TD drives in a minute and a half right before half time to put your bad offense in a worse situation. Good defenses don't give up long TD drives with multiple 3rd and longs to put the offense 17 points down. This is a bad defense. Maybe they play hard but they are a bad defense. They are not turning the ball over, they are not putting pressure on opposing QB's, they are not giving our bad offense the best opportunity to win games. This team is a bad team all the way around. It isn't all on the offense. That is my only point. Both sides of the ball are playing poorly.

Edit: good defenses don't completely blow contain on a wildcat play to let the RB walk into the end zone. (On BSU's first TD)

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:31 am
Jarhead wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 am Well for BYU's defense garbage time starts once the other team gets above 11 points, because our offense averages less than 11 points per game.

Good defenses don't give up 75 yard TD drives in a minute and a half right before half time to put your bad offense in a worse situation. Good defenses don't give up long TD drives with multiple 3rd and longs to put the offense 17 points down. This is a bad defense. Maybe they play hard but they are a bad defense. They are not turning the ball over, they are not putting pressure on opposing QB's, they are not giving our bad offense the best opportunity to win games. This team is a bad team all the way around. It isn't all on the offense. That is my only point. Both sides of the ball are playing poorly.
You live in a world where you can only call a defense good or bad. I live in a world where there are great defenses, good ones, average ones, poor ones, and terrible ones.

It's just a matter of semantics. I keep agreeing with you that the defense is leaving opportunites on the field. You seem to just ignore that for some reason. The only area where we disagree is on the label of what to call the defense. An elite defense would perform the way that you describe. But in my opinion, the two options are not just "elite" and "bad". Average is not bad. BYU's defense is at least average. If they were great or elite, it sure would help. But they just simply are not bad, not by any realistic measure of the term.