$$$

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

$$$

Post by KingCoug » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Was listening to the radio on the way to work today. They were talking about money and coaching. Hans said he has reason to believe the pay the assistant coaches at BYU make would put them in the middle of the pack in the Mountain West Conference. He also said he knows for a fact that Sitake tried to lure away some guys from the U but the U stepped in and upped their pay right there to ensure they didn't go anywhere. They said Detmer is being paid good money but he's the exception.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12645
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by SpiffCoug » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Well, Reno Mahe was working at the airport before coming to BYU. I don't think it would take much money to lure him to BYU. Mike Empey was an assistant (non-teacher) at a local, nearby high school. He probably came cheap too. Ben Cahoon was selling what? medical supplies? I'm sure he didn't need multiple commas on his salary to agree to come back to BYU.

BYU is paying cheap for cheap coaches and we're getting cheap results as the return on investment.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by KingCoug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:36 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm
Well, Reno Mahe was working at the airport before coming to BYU. I don't think it would take much money to lure him to BYU. Mike Empey was an assistant (non-teacher) at a local, nearby high school. He probably came cheap too. Ben Cahoon was selling what? medical supplies? I'm sure he didn't need multiple commas on his salary to agree to come back to BYU.

BYU is paying cheap for cheap coaches and we're getting cheap results as the return on investment.
Yup.

Below is a list of all 129 FBS coaches. BYU sits at #67, with its HC being paid $2 million - the same as those at schools like Temple, Indiana, UCF, and Illinois - and is below the overall average. Ken Niumatalolo would actually have had to take a pay cut to come to Provo. Utah is #25 at $3.8 million - almost twice what our guy makes. Whittingham is making more than the coaches at schools like LSU, UCLA, and Oklahoma.

http://coacheshotseat.com/CFBCoachesSalaries.htm


Below is a list of assistant coaches salaries from 2015.

Harding, Roderick, and Scalley were all making $425,000 a year at Utah. Erickson was making $350,000, Shah $300,000, and Fred Whittingham $225,000.

The highest paid assistant coach in the Mountain West was Andy Avalos at Boise St at $309,000. The lowest was John Richardson at Wyoming at $70,000. BYU and other private schools don't have amounts listed but, as I said above, Hans Olsen was saying those at BYU (aside from Detmer) would fall somewhere in the middle of the Mountain West.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... /assistant

You get what you pay for and perhaps Tom Holmoe's biggest failure is trying to have BYU play like we're one of the big boys on a shoestring budget.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8993
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by BroncoBot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm

I take everything Hans says with a grain of salt. The guy can be a complete douche and lets his emotions do his talking from time to time.

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by KingCoug » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm

BroncoBot wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm
I take everything Hans says with a grain of salt. The guy can be a complete douche and lets his emotions do his talking from time to time.
I agree but, considering BYU's thriftyness (putting it nicely), I find it easy to believe. We pretty much know how much Bronco was making before and how much Sitake is making now and it's a relatively low salary.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8993
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by BroncoBot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:24 pm

KingCoug wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm
BroncoBot wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm
I take everything Hans says with a grain of salt. The guy can be a complete douche and lets his emotions do his talking from time to time.
I agree but, considering BYU's thriftyness (putting it nicely), I find it easy to believe. We pretty much know how much Bronco was making before and how much Sitake is making now and it's a relatively low salary.
Which only makes it more ridiculous that BYU fans were so ready to see Bronco leave. I realize he left BYU. BUT, good luck getting a more bang-for-your-buck coach BYU.

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by KingCoug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am

BroncoBot wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:24 pm
KingCoug wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm
BroncoBot wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm
I take everything Hans says with a grain of salt. The guy can be a complete douche and lets his emotions do his talking from time to time.
I agree but, considering BYU's thriftyness (putting it nicely), I find it easy to believe. We pretty much know how much Bronco was making before and how much Sitake is making now and it's a relatively low salary.
Which only makes it more ridiculous that BYU fans were so ready to see Bronco leave. I realize he left BYU. BUT, good luck getting a more bang-for-your-buck coach BYU.
Like I said in another thread, that's loser thinking. 5 straight losses to Utah is pathetic bang-for-your-buck.

The new coaching staff's current struggles don't suddenly put on a shine on all of Bronco's turds.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8993
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Let's see how many we lose to Utah with the coaching carousel that BYU likely goes on the next 5-10 years. This should be fun. Love Kalani the person. But I'd rather have a coach than wins 70% of his games and it comes down to a FG vs rivals most years. Maybe Kalani turns it around, maybe he doesn't. But COULD BYU HAVE KEPT HIM, I currently don't see anyone who is going to be more consistent, win more games, keep a program clean than Bronco Mendenhall.

Who else you got? I know, I know, that's Tom Holmoe's job. There has to be tons of coaches ready to jump at the money BYU is willing to pay who could totally go undefeated every couple years and have a winning record vs the utes while independent. Right?

User avatar
scott715
TV Analyst
Posts: 10046
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Pendleton, OR

Re: $$$

Post by scott715 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:50 pm

What if we had paid more money on assistant coaches? Bronco with KS and a couple of his hires to help in recruiting might had been a winner.

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: $$$

Post by KingCoug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 pm

BroncoBot wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 pm
Let's see how many we lose to Utah with the coaching carousel that BYU likely goes on the next 5-10 years. This should be fun. Love Kalani the person. But I'd rather have a coach than wins 70% of his games and it comes down to a FG vs rivals most years. Maybe Kalani turns it around, maybe he doesn't. But COULD BYU HAVE KEPT HIM, I currently don't see anyone who is going to be more consistent, win more games, keep a program clean than Bronco Mendenhall.

Who else you got? I know, I know, that's Tom Holmoe's job. There has to be tons of coaches ready to jump at the money BYU is willing to pay who could totally go undefeated every couple years and have a winning record vs the utes while independent. Right?
I'm the first one to say BYU needs to up the pay. That or stop scheduling like we have been. And nobody expects to go undefeated every year. But Bronco should have been able to do it once in his 11 years at BYU. And he should have at least been more competitive with Utah and not go 3-7, including 5 straight. That has nothing to do with $ and everything to do with him not caring about that game as much as Whittingham does and allowing us to be embarrassed year after year.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

Post Reply