QB Mudville on Friday

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Mudville on Friday

Post by Cougs_Rule »

One more swing and a Miss. Or is that three (qbs)? Or is that SIX (losses)?

Starting QB. A hobbled, already slow QB w a suspect arm, and horrible few games.
Backup. A scrawny, big hearted, weak armed, INT factory newbie.
Third string. A guy with more talent, not getting near enough reps this week to prep bc coaches are betting on their barely out of a boot veteran.

This just does not look good folks. The only hope in Hoge is nowhere to be seen.
Get ready for the BOO birds and breaking a 50 year old record of a 5 game losing streak headed toward six after next week in one more big MISS to 1-6.

Mudville. And at 1-6, Mighty Sitake will need more than a "get me a helmet" and shield for the arrows coming his way and a box of farewell cards to the recruits going away. Not to leave out coach Lamb running away and Mahe and Cahoon going away.

May we all have the humanity and composure to not become the "crowd" we should not be but will have to fight hard not to be.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: QB Mudville on Friday

Post by byufan4ever »

Part of me says that the season is already lost so don't waste a redshirt. Part of me says that Mangum should not be playing at 50% (he struggled even when he was 100%...) for both him and the team. Hoge most likely has a concussion and we shouldn't even entertain the thought of him playing. So, that leaves us with little Detmer whom the coaches have zero faith in and haven't even mentioned his name when talking about possible starting QBs for BSU. Well, now I go back on my redshirt statement. We have 2 redshirt QBs, burn one of them I guess. But if the coaches have not been preparing him like you said (not enough first team reps) then that's just not fair to him. So one legged Mangum it is!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Man....is there anything more angst y than a BYU fan when things aren't going well? ;)

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 am Man....is there anything more angst y than a BYU fan when things aren't going well? ;)
Agree, at this point this season is a true goner. Time to sit back and just enjoy football. Watch Brayden el-bakri block, watch the trench battles, find something to keep you interested, but QB and WR is suspect enough this year that BYU won't win many games. Is what it is, I'm certainly not going to be booing anyone's performance on Friday.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Fido wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 am Man....is there anything more angst y than a BYU fan when things aren't going well? ;)
I believe that's every fan base for every team in every sport ever. ;)

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BroncoBot wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 am
Agree, at this point this season is a true goner. Time to sit back and just enjoy football. Watch Brayden el-bakri block, watch the trench battles, find something to keep you interested, but QB and WR is suspect enough this year that BYU won't win many games. Is what it is, I'm certainly not going to be booing anyone's performance on Friday.
Booing is classless and should never be done just because of poor performance on the field.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I'm not sure why we need to keep a redshirt for our QB of the future, don't we have enough recruits coming in? I say let it fly with Critchlow!

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

There is something very liberating about watching football in a season of which it doesn't matter what happens. BYU has already lost it's must-win game in Utah State. I guess you could make an argument that SJSU, ECU, and UMASS are must wins just in the fact that if you field a team that loses to any one of those three teams you don't deserve to have a football program any more. But regardless, now you can just sit back, enjoy some snacks, a cougar tail, have some laughter and enjoy the company of the people you're watching the games with. It's kind of nice.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 am I'm not sure why we need to keep a redshirt for our QB of the future, don't we have enough recruits coming in? I say let it fly with Critchlow!
I dunno, after a 1 win season will we have any recruits coming in? :bug: /s

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 am There is something very liberating about watching football in a season of which it doesn't matter what happens. BYU has already lost it's must-win game in Utah State. I guess you could make an argument that SJSU, ECU, and UMASS are must wins just in the fact that if you field a team that loses to any one of those three teams you don't deserve to have a football program any more. But regardless, now you can just sit back, enjoy some snacks, a cougar tail, have some laughter and enjoy the company of the people you're watching the games with. It's kind of nice.
I can't really agree with the philosophy of "it doesn't matter what happens". A special/great season is off the table sure, and a good season is almost gone as well, but the results going forward will still have a big impact on the direction of the program.

I can agree with the philosophy that there is not much reason to hope for any better results than what we have seen so far, and once each individual accepts that as a reality, it is a liberating fan experience.
Last edited by Jarhead on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.