LSU taken out by Troy!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: LSU taken out by Troy!

Post by frdbtr »

So the real question is, do you shoot for the moon and miss or shoot for a cow pie and hit it? Bevel may not have ever come to BYU but was he contacted?

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm
snoscythe wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:45 pm ... was never interviewed that we know of.
... as far as we know, was never contacted.

[So I'll characterize Holmoe as] the AD that never even tried to get anyone else .
What evidence do you have that these other candidates were contacted?
Well, we do know Holmoe contacted Pete Carroll about Darrell Bevell:
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... or-byu-job

And Lance Anderson admitted that BYU contacted him:
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

What evidence do you have that they did not contact/interview Bevell or Anderson?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm
snoscythe wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:45 pm ... was never interviewed that we know of.
... as far as we know, was never contacted.

[So I'll characterize Holmoe as] the AD that never even tried to get anyone else .
What evidence do you have that these other candidates were contacted?
Well, we do know Holmoe contacted Pete Carroll about Darrell Bevell:
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... or-byu-job

And Lance Anderson admitted that BYU contacted him:
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID

What evidence do you have that they did not contact/interview Bevell or Anderson?
So Bevell was contacted and Coach Carrol took him out of the running saying that timing wasn't right. I understand that. Having said that Lance Anderson said something similar to what Ken N said after his interview:

"One of the obvious candidates to replace Bronco Mendenhall as head football coach of the BYU Cougars, Stanford defensive coordinator Lance Anderson, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Friday afternoon that he is interested in the position, but understands that the school probably has its sights set on a higher-profile coach."

Which is another proof to my original point. Maybe if Holmoe would have been patient enough to wait until after NFL season was over, Bevell would have been a candidate but that would have been bad for recruiting so I can give that a pass.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pmSo Bevell was contacted and Coach Carrol took him out of the running saying that timing wasn't right. I understand that. Having said that Lance Anderson said something similar to what Ken N said after his interview:

"One of the obvious candidates to replace Bronco Mendenhall as head football coach of the BYU Cougars, Stanford defensive coordinator Lance Anderson, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Friday afternoon that he is interested in the position, but understands that the school probably has its sights set on a higher-profile coach."

Which is another proof to my original point.
What was your original point?
BYU only interviewed 1 other guy other than Sitake and the most qualified candidate left feeling like he was a token interview.
I thought you point was that Holmoe had been negligent in his duties and only interview one other guy. That simply is not true -- he at least interviewed Lance Anderson in addition to Niumatololo, and we know he at least reached out to Darrell Bevell. That's only the people that the media know about. I know Ed Lamb was also interviewed early in the process. There's a difference between "we don't know about it" and "it didn't happen." You're drawing conclusions without information and calling for a guy's job based on those conclusions. What would you expect Lance Anderson (a guy who wants to be a head coach) to say after he was interviewed and didn't get the job?

Essentially, without knowing anything about the interviews (other than the fact that Kalani, Anderson and Ken N. were in fact interviewed), you're saying Holmoe should have hired Anderson, but you have no idea how those interviews did or didn't go.
Maybe if Holmoe would have been patient enough to wait until after NFL season was over, Bevell would have been a candidate but that would have been bad for recruiting so I can give that a pass.
If anyone wants to put an iota of blame on Holmoe for not waiting until the Seahawks (ahem....Bevell) conceded the Superbowl to the Pats on February 1st, they are up in the night. Not only for recruiting, but hiring any assistants.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:50 pm
frdbtr wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pmSo Bevell was contacted and Coach Carrol took him out of the running saying that timing wasn't right. I understand that. Having said that Lance Anderson said something similar to what Ken N said after his interview:

Which is another proof to my original point.
What was your original point?
BYU only interviewed 1 other guy other than Sitake and the most qualified candidate left feeling like he was a token interview.
I thought you point was that Holmoe had been negligent in his duties and only interview one other guy. That simply is not true -- he at least interviewed Lance Anderson in addition to Niumatololo, and we know he at least reached out to Darrell Bevell. That's only the people that the media know about. I know Ed Lamb was also interviewed early in the process. There's a difference between "we don't know about it" and "it didn't happen." You're drawing conclusions without information and calling for a guy's job based on those conclusions. What would you expect Lance Anderson (a guy who wants to be a head coach) to say after he was interviewed and didn't get the job?

Essentially, without knowing anything about the interviews (other than the fact that Kalani, Anderson and Ken N. were in fact interviewed), you're saying Holmoe should have hired Anderson, but you have no idea how those interviews did or didn't go.
Maybe if Holmoe would have been patient enough to wait until after NFL season was over, Bevell would have been a candidate but that would have been bad for recruiting so I can give that a pass.
If anyone wants to put an iota of blame on Holmoe for not waiting until the Seahawks (ahem....Bevell) conceded the Superbowl to the Pats on February 1st, they are up in the night. Not only for recruiting, but hiring any assistants.
You are also drawing conclusions. You are saying that Anderson was "interviewed" when the article says that he was only contacted. Both Ken N and Lance Anderson said that BYU was "looking for someone else" after they were contacted and/or interviewed. Kalani is far from "higher profile" so who was he referring to? I never really called for Holmoe to be fired. I feel like there was only one guy that was the target of the last hiring process and that was Kalani who is turning out to be a bad coach. I hope things change but so far the team is in complete disarray and is playing some of the softest football I have ever seen out of a BYU football team. My assertion from the beginning is that if the Kalani experiment fails, I want the AD dept either cleaned or at least seriously evaluated. When good ole boys hire their buddies without seriously considering other candidates, there needs to be an evaluation of the way they are running things.

Edit: oh and by the way, the seahawks did not go to the superbowl that year, it was Denver vs Carolina. So it wouldn't have been after Feb 1st.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I think Holmoe tossed a softball to Whittingham first, hoping to get a surprise hit.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am I think Holmoe tossed a softball to Whittingham first, hoping to get a surprise hit.
That one was a surprise to me. Whittingham turned down BYU back when BYU was the better job, he was as much a long shot as Bevel or Reid.