How many P5 teams should BYU play a year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

9%
18%
45%
18%
9%
6+
No votes

Total votes: 11

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by KingCoug »

Just interested in what everyone thimks...

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: How many P5 teams should BYU play a year?

Post by nuk13 »

I didn't vote because you didn't have 0. I don't think we should play any of them until the team can fix problems and take the field with some hope of playing a better game than we have so far.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I voted for 3. I actually like this years schedule. If our team wasn't in complete disarray, this schedule would give us a good chance to make a huge splash in college football. This years team coached by the previous coaching staff gets at least 1 if not 2 of the 3 P5 games we played this year.

For what it's worth, BYU ends the losing streak to the utes last year if Bronco was still here. As for this coaching staff, I don't see any time in the future where the streak is broken, not with the marshmallows we have on the offensive line and at receiver.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

What P5 teams are you talking about? This poll is presented as if Iowa State and the rest of the coat tail riders are as good as Clemson and Alabama.

Sure most of them are a level above. BUt I think BYU could use as many middle ground p5 teams as they can get. Mix it in with an elite name like LSU or Nebraska from time to time and BYU SHOULD be just fine. If you're talking about this year specifically, a loss to LSU looks a heckuva lot better than a loss to USU.

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

As I've said before, until the Trustees on down state that they are willing to commit the resources and make the changes required to have a P-5 level program, the answer should be zero.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Woody3715 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm As I've said before, until the Trustees on down state that they are willing to commit the resources and make the changes required to have a P-5 level program, the answer should be zero.
This again assumes that all P5 schools are equal. BYU could join a p5 conference today and be right in the mix (well, maybe not this year) for mediocre team of the year. I don't think they would finish dead last.

Now, if you're talking about actually competing for a NC, then yes, there would have to be a lot more money invested by the school, donors etc and kids would have to be paid to come to BYU.