Sounds like Joe Critchlow is getting the start

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Sounds like Joe Critchlow is getting the start

Post by Brayden Green »

Listening to the postgame it sounds like Joe Critchlow is going to get snaps and the start next week if Tanner can't go. They wanted to put him in, but he doesn't know any of the sets, so Kalani said it wouldn't be "fair to him to put him in that situation" in the middle of the game. From what I have heard by people in and around the program, he is the 2nd best qb on the team (he is just in mission shape, that is to say, he isn't in football shape).

Could be interesting to see, but I hope Tanner can go (obviously).

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Re: Sounds like Joe Critchlow is getting the start

Post by Brayden Green »

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I was guessing that Kafensis would get the start, but Criddle says he thinks Crichlow as well.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I wasn't able to watch the game but I liked what I was hearing when Kafensis was in the offense. I think if he hadn't fumbled, they would have kept him in there. They should have left him in anyway. Detmer was not going to get it done. His throwing was so bad, BYU wouldn't even let him throw on 3rd and long.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

If BYU feels like Hoge or Mangum can be back by East Carolina they should leave the redshirt on Critchlow, the next two games are guaranteed losses, so there's no point in breaking a redshirt to lose them.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Boise State has been up and down this year. Not sure they are a guaranteed loss. But I don't know if we can put together some offense for any sustained period of time.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

They need to do anything they can to increase chances of winning, even if that doesn't ultimately result in a win. This is a complete disaster right now, and nothing should be off the table.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Jarhead wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm They need to do anything they can to increase chances of winning, even if that doesn't ultimately result in a win. This is a complete disaster right now, and nothing should be off the table.
Exactly!!!!
Now is the time and day of repentance!!
Baby Detmer is a bigger dumpster fire than the Offense. It's a compounding problem. And Uncle Detmer can't afford to have baby Detmer be the scapegoat bc there will be collateral damage to OC Detmer. Baby D should be exactly what his Uncle was In the pros--a player/coach who can spend extra time teaching scheme and/or running the practice squad.
Besides, BYU is losing recruits with each ever increasingly embarrassing loss.
If Kalani uses Baby D for the next two losses it will look like he is totally confused and as under qualified and incapable as some are already accusing.
There Are already other qbs I need the pipeline. Saving a redshirt will only convince recruits even more that the coaches are either too stubborn or dumb to throw in eminently more talented qbs even if they don't know the schemes as well.
Further, if Tanner is still out and Beau out for a few more games, BYU still needs a backup QB if Joe were to go down.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I'd play the best guy you can. Either:
A. He creates a spark and BYU starts winning, or
B. He gets some solid experience for possibly next year, or
C. All the above.

Its not my decision. I will say the offense was looking HOT before Beau went down. Maybe Detmer and the offense are finally firing on 4/8 cylinders instead of 2/8. Detmer was obviously woefully underprepred. Who knows what a week of solid prep allows him to do next week. Kafentzis, I've heard is a playmaker will little to no arm. Criddle certainly didn't like what he has seen in practices.

Will be an interesting game next week. The biggest silver lining to this year has been watching ALL BYU QBs play some football. We've heard very little "put in qb X" because he has played and was no better than qb Y.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

It's kinda funny how under Hoge the offense scored 14 points and threw a pick six, but at this point to BYU fans it seemed unbelievably great.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars