1-4 with no end in sight

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

1-4 with no end in sight

Post by KingCoug »

Looking back it's hard to believe we went 9-4 last year. Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

One of the biggest hopes I had with Sitake is recruiting. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to get "his" guys on the field. Or for Detmer to get his offense going.

Short of an invite to a P5 conference, which may never happen, I like being independent. But I hate the front loaded schedule. It's so unbalanced.

Anyway, how many years are you prepared to give this coaching staff?

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Raiderboy
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: 1-4 with no end in sight

Post by Raiderboy »

I thought the team took big steps forward offensively and that we would have won the game going away if not for the Hoge (and Mangum) injuries.

However, the lack of WR and RB talent limits us and we cannot compete with top 25 teams this year, even with healthy QBs.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Looking back it's hard to believe we went 9-4 last year. Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Short answer... yes.
2016 BYU football was how many points from going undefeated? and had a decent shot in every one of those games except UCLA which somehow never felt like it was going to be a win.

A friend of mine has a cousin on the team. Cousin relates that last year morale was high after 1-3. This year 1-3 (now 1-4) feel like 0-100. I think we saw a first half team that was desperately trying to turn that around, and the 2nd half tonight squashed any remaining hope. will be very difficult to turn this thing around at this point.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Also, did I read somewhere the team took a week off? psssshhhhh. WTH? At the very least Detmer should have been taking a lot of snaps the last 2 weeks in preparation of Hoge potentially going down.

Raiderboy
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Raiderboy »

BroncoBot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 pm Also, did I read somewhere the team took a week off? psssshhhhh. WTH? At the very least Detmer should have been taking a lot of snaps the last 2 weeks in preparation of Hoge potentially going down.
I thought Detmer's arm strength looked really questionable. He had to give it everything he had on sideline throws, and even midrange passes over the middle hung up there. It may not be a matter of reps.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm
KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Looking back it's hard to believe we went 9-4 last year. Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Short answer... yes.
2016 BYU football was how many points from going undefeated? and had a decent shot in every one of those games except UCLA which somehow never felt like it was going to be a win.

A friend of mine has a cousin on the team. Cousin relates that last year morale was high after 1-3. This year 1-3 (now 1-4) feel like 0-100. I think we saw a first half team that was desperately trying to turn that around, and the 2nd half tonight squashed any remaining hope. will be very difficult to turn this thing around at this point.
Here's the scary truth. If BYU had not made the staff changes they did last year BYU would have been at minimum 11-2. With the talent and players BYU had and an offensive and defensive staff that were actually competent at calling plays, it would have been one of those elusive special seasons we hadn't had in a long time.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Short answer... yes.

Here's the scary truth. If BYU had not made the staff changes they did last year BYU would have been at minimum 11-2. With the talent and players BYU had and an offensive and defensive staff that were actually competent at calling plays, it would have been one of those elusive special seasons we hadn't had in a long time.
Hold on, I've been hearing from everyone that Bronco left the cupboards bare at BYU when he left. Now you're telling me that BYU had some talent?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 pm
hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Short answer... yes.

Hold on, I've been hearing from everyone that Bronco left the cupboards bare at BYU when he left. Now you're telling me that BYU had some talent?
There are some bare spots, BYU is only now recovering from the Anae->Doman->Anae which interrupted offensive recruiting. But yes, coaches would kill to be able to step in to the talent levels BYU had going into 2016.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I see us winning maybe 2 more games. I don't see us having a winning season.

Sitake will get one more season. If he wants another one after that he'll need to make some serious changes.

He's on thin ice.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I feel pretty confident against SJSU and UMASS. I don't feel particularly confident against anyone else right now.