1-4 with no end in sight

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 1-4 with no end in sight

Post by Mars »

Gunk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 am
Mars wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 am 2016 Kalani's first year, not full recruiting chance
2017 Kalani's first full-year recruits are missionaries
2018 Kalani's first full-year recruits are still missionaries
2019 Kalani's first full-year recruits are redshirts
2020 Kalani's first full-year recruits are just freshmen
2021 - Kalani can be judged by the product that he puts on the field!!

2023- National Championship
That's assuming Kalani's recruits want to play for him after their missions. At the end of their two years they'll be able to go to another school and they'll have two years of tape to look at.

If I am a top recruit, I'd be second guessing my decision. This staff can't coach.
Yeah, if you write off this season the next big concern is recruiting and keeping recruits. There are some big-name QBs that were looking at BYU before, but unfortunately now they've actually seen BYU.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

screamineagle2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 pm
hawkwing wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:51 pm That's fine, if you want to say only undefeated seasons are special, BYU has been lucky enough to have one of those against a much weaker schedule than we've faced in the last 10 years.

BYU will not be having any undefeated seasons under this staff.
BYU will never have another undefeated season doesn't matter who the coach is.The way things are now they will probably never have another one or two loss season. Its just the way things are but what makes it worse is other than exposure there does not seem to be any goals or direction for the football program.Can someone with more knowledge and experience enlighten me on what the long term goals of the football program are?Winning a National Championship is fools gold wont happen If its exposure this is not the type of football that will make that successful long term.
Exposure is great and all but not the kind BYU has been getting lately. Doesn't much do much good to play more P5 teams in front of more viewers if you're just regularly getting embarrassed.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

The funny thing is, I was totally against the hire of Sitake, I didn't want a former ute coach coaching BYU even if he was a former player. Since his hire, I love his attitude, I love the way he talks about his players and the way he is so candid with the media, and I feel really bad that what he is trying to do is not working. This is why I have been wanting coaches fired that I feel will improve the program. I still feel Detmer can get it done, he just needs better position coaches working for him. BYU is never going to get the kinds of athletes that P5 teams can get because of the honor code so we need to work harder than other teams. We need to be more physical than other teams. I have been saying since before cahoon was hired that unless our receivers bring the physical game to the ute defense that we will never beat them again. I think Holladay was getting them to that point (remember the ute bowl game where once we got the turnover thing fixed we dominated that defense) The problem is, our receivers aren't being physical with anyone including the "patsy's" and so now we are the patsy. Pillows and feathers does not work. Sitake wants to be another Lavell type father figure HC and that is fine, but he needs to hire some serious Hard A coaches to keep discipline on the team. All the former Lavell players love him because he was a father figure but I can guaran damn tee you that guys Hated Roger French when they were playing for him, and I know there were others. You can't get physical play from the players by doing "pillows and feathers" in practice. I feel Sitake gets this year to have a bad team, if BYU doesn't make a bowl game next year, I want a house cleaning not only on the football staff but also in the AD dept where qualified candidates weren't even given a look because Sitake was the guy from moment one.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:49 pm The funny thing is, I was totally against the hire of Sitake, I didn't want a former ute coach coaching BYU even if he was a former player. Since his hire, I love his attitude, I love the way he talks about his players and the way he is so candid with the media, and I feel really bad that what he is trying to do is not working. This is why I have been wanting coaches fired that I feel will improve the program. I still feel Detmer can get it done, he just needs better position coaches working for him. BYU is never going to get the kinds of athletes that P5 teams can get because of the honor code so we need to work harder than other teams. We need to be more physical than other teams. I have been saying since before cahoon was hired that unless our receivers bring the physical game to the ute defense that we will never beat them again. I think Holladay was getting them to that point (remember the ute bowl game where once we got the turnover thing fixed we dominated that defense) The problem is, our receivers aren't being physical with anyone including the "patsy's" and so now we are the patsy. Pillows and feathers does not work. Sitake wants to be another Lavell type father figure HC and that is fine, but he needs to hire some serious Hard A coaches to keep discipline on the team. All the former Lavell players love him because he was a father figure but I can guaran damn tee you that guys Hated Roger French when they were playing for him, and I know there were others. You can't get physical play from the players by doing "pillows and feathers" in practice. I feel Sitake gets this year to have a bad team, if BYU doesn't make a bowl game next year, I want a house cleaning not only on the football staff but also in the AD dept where qualified candidates weren't even given a look because Sitake was the guy from moment one.
Anyone else wish BYU had given coach Niumatololo a better shot? Maybe Ken was meant to be "the guy". But it seemed awkward how it all worked out.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Yes, I wish we gave Niumatololo a better shot. I think Sitake is a great guy. I like his attitude, but I think he suffers a bit too much from nostalgia.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Sorry, but if we think part of the struggles on the offense are because we don't have the players to run the pro-style Detmer wants, how on earth do we think we would have the players to run a triple option attack?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 am Sorry, but if we think part of the struggles on the offense are because we don't have the players to run the pro-style Detmer wants, how on earth do we think we would have the players to run a triple option attack?
Unfortunately we already have the zone-blocking lineman for it.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Anyway, how many years are you prepared to give this coaching staff?
The answer to the 1 question is an emphatic "Yes." They carried the team. They were exceptional. They were elite college athletes.

The answer to the 2nd question is, the problems with BYU's performance is deeper than the coaching staff. BYU fans have a culture of whining and complaining, even when it's going pretty well. They were unhappy with Bronco, Doman (10-3, and 8-5) Anae (8-5, 8-5, and 9-4), etc. etc. Looking back, not so bad.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Ddawg wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:34 pm
KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Anyway, how many years are you prepared to give this coaching staff?
The answer to the 1 question is an emphatic "Yes." They carried the team. They were exceptional. They were elite college athletes.

The answer to the 2nd question is, the problems with BYU's performance is deeper than the coaching staff. BYU fans have a culture of whining and complaining, even when it's going pretty well. They were unhappy with Bronco, Doman (10-3, and 8-5) Anae (8-5, 8-5, and 9-4), etc. etc. Looking back, not so bad.
BYU fans have a culture of whining and complaining?

This is one of those stupid accusations Utes always make. Go on the Ute board when they're not winning, or even when they are winning - during or after a game - and you'll see loads of whining and complaining. Same as for every fan board.

It's like when Utes accuse Y fans of always booing any call that goes against them at the stadium. Nevermind that happens at every stadium by every fan base. Including up at that crap hole called Rice-Eccles. But somehow it's only bad or worth mentioning when Y fans do it.

8-5 is a winning record but it's debatable if that means things went "pretty well." Especially if its three 8-5 seasons in a row. 10-3 is a really good season but, sooner or later, fans want to see their team break through that 10 or 11 win ceiling.

By the way, I wipe my @$$ with your avatar.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

KingCoug wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm BYU fans have a culture of whining and complaining?
Yep. Deal with it.
KingCoug wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:50 pm By the way, I wipe my @$$ with your avatar.
Nice christian thought. You are a fine LDS representative. Classy.
I'll bet you were inspired to write your post while watching conference today - right?
Last edited by Ddawg on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.