1-4 with no end in sight

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 1-4 with no end in sight

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:02 am I see us winning maybe 2 more games. I don't see us having a winning season.

Sitake will get one more season. If he wants another one after that he'll need to make some serious changes.

He's on thin ice.
BSU is our super bowl currently!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm pretty excited for our November bowl game to Hawaii.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

2016 Kalani's first year, not full recruiting chance
2017 Kalani's first full-year recruits are missionaries
2018 Kalani's first full-year recruits are still missionaries
2019 Kalani's first full-year recruits are redshirts
2020 Kalani's first full-year recruits are just freshmen
2021 - Kalani can be judged by the product that he puts on the field!!

2023- National Championship

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Mars wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 am 2016 Kalani's first year, not full recruiting chance
2017 Kalani's first full-year recruits are missionaries
2018 Kalani's first full-year recruits are still missionaries
2019 Kalani's first full-year recruits are redshirts
2020 Kalani's first full-year recruits are just freshmen
2021 - Kalani can be judged by the product that he puts on the field!!

2023- National Championship
That's assuming Kalani's recruits want to play for him after their missions. At the end of their two years they'll be able to go to another school and they'll have two years of tape to look at.

If I am a top recruit, I'd be second guessing my decision. This staff can't coach.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:53 pm
KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Looking back it's hard to believe we went 9-4 last year. Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Short answer... yes.
2016 BYU football was how many points from going undefeated? and had a decent shot in every one of those games except UCLA which somehow never felt like it was going to be a win.

A friend of mine has a cousin on the team. Cousin relates that last year morale was high after 1-3. This year 1-3 (now 1-4) feel like 0-100. I think we saw a first half team that was desperately trying to turn that around, and the 2nd half tonight squashed any remaining hope. will be very difficult to turn this thing around at this point.
Here's the scary truth. If BYU had not made the staff changes they did last year BYU would have been at minimum 11-2. With the talent and players BYU had and an offensive and defensive staff that were actually competent at calling plays, it would have been one of those elusive special seasons we hadn't had in a long time.
I agree with Hawkwing

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Jarhead wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:07 am
KingCoug wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm Looking back it's hard to believe we went 9-4 last year. Did Taysom and Jamal make that much difference?

Short answer... yes.
2016 BYU football was how many points from going undefeated? and had a decent shot in every one of those games except UCLA which somehow never felt like it was going to be a win.

A friend of mine has a cousin on the team. Cousin relates that last year morale was high after 1-3. This year 1-3 (now 1-4) feel like 0-100. I think we saw a first half team that was desperately trying to turn that around, and the 2nd half tonight squashed any remaining hope. will be very difficult to turn this thing around at this point.
Here's the scary truth. If BYU had not made the staff changes they did last year BYU would have been at minimum 11-2. With the talent and players BYU had and an offensive and defensive staff that were actually competent at calling plays, it would have been one of those elusive special seasons we hadn't had in a long time.
I agree with Hawkwing
Except I don't consider 11-2 a special season. 13-0 is a special season. 11-2 certainly looks great right now but I got tired of the last coaching staff not being able to break through that 10 or 11 win ceiling.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:15 pm
Jarhead wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:07 am

Short answer... yes.

I agree with Hawkwing
Except I don't consider 11-2 a special season. 13-0 is a special season. 11-2 certainly looks great right now but I got tired of the last coaching staff not being able to break through that 10 or 11 win ceiling.
I think that's a valid criticism of the former staff, they definitely left some wins on the table. But we may be starting to see just how difficult it is to simply maintain 9-10 wins. That Bronco was able to do that for all those years is a credit to his coaching. To say otherwise is ignorance.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

That's fine, if you want to say only undefeated seasons are special, BYU has been lucky enough to have one of those against a much weaker schedule than we've faced in the last 10 years.

BYU will not be having any undefeated seasons under this staff.

screamineagle2
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by screamineagle2 »

hawkwing wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:51 pm That's fine, if you want to say only undefeated seasons are special, BYU has been lucky enough to have one of those against a much weaker schedule than we've faced in the last 10 years.

BYU will not be having any undefeated seasons under this staff.
BYU will never have another undefeated season doesn't matter who the coach is.The way things are now they will probably never have another one or two loss season. Its just the way things are but what makes it worse is other than exposure there does not seem to be any goals or direction for the football program.Can someone with more knowledge and experience enlighten me on what the long term goals of the football program are?Winning a National Championship is fools gold wont happen If its exposure this is not the type of football that will make that successful long term.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pmI think that's a valid criticism of the former staff, they definitely left some wins on the table. But we may be starting to see just how difficult it is to simply maintain 9-10 wins. That Bronco was able to do that for all those years is a credit to his coaching. To say otherwise is ignorance.
I give Bronco credit as far as it goes. But the devil is in the details. As you can see below, the double digit win seasons mostly went out the window after we went independent and started playing more P5 teams instead of a familiar MWC schedule. We also went from holding our own with Utah and TCU to those games being an automatic loss. Something else I noticed when looking at Bronco stats in the past is, in those earlier years, most of our losses were by a small margin. In the later years, it was not uncommon to lose by a wide margin. And as I've said before, if you look at the stats, the 2006 team was Bronco's all around best. Bronco seemed hungrier in those earlier years, maybe because he felt he still had to prove himself, but he struck me as more complacent and satisfied with generally just winning more than he lost and running a clean program. He certainly didn't seem to care about losing to Utah again and again.

MOUNTAIN WEST

2006: 11-2 (2-0 vs Utah and TCU, 1-2 vs P5 teams)

2007: 11-2 (2-0 vs Utah and TCU, 2-2 vs P5 teams)

2008: 10-3 (0-2 vs Utah and TCU, 2-1 vs P5 teams)

2009: 11-2 (1-1 vs Utah and TCU, 2-1 vs P5 teams)

2010: 7-6 (0-2 vs Utah and TCU, 1-1 vs P5 teams)

50-15

5-5 vs Utah and TCU

Played 2-4 P5 teams a year

8-7 vs P5 teams

INDEPENDENT

2011: 10-3 (0-2 vs Utah and TCU, 2-1 vs P5 teams)

2012: 8-5 (2-3 vs P5 teams inc loss to Utah)

2013: 8-5 (2-5 vs P5 teams inc loss to Utah)

2014: 8-5 (3-0 vs P5 teams, didn't play Utah)

2015: 9-4 (1-4 vs P5 teams inc loss to Utah)

43-22

0-5 vs Utah and TCU

Played 3-7 P5 teams a year

10-14 vs P5 teams

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director