Highlight of my concern about the offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Highlight of my concern about the offense

Post by Brayden Green »

Mars wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:46 am Kalani was already a college football coach, and he was already out recruiting, so it's not like he was at home on the couch the 10 months prior. He already had targets and relationships, he just had to convince them to swap along with him to Provo. So I'll count it, especially since transfers can come long after signing day, but I understand those who might not.
I get that. But this conversation (and our interaction) has been on the offensive side of the ball. He was a DC so obviously his focus was on the defensive side of the ball, making contacts there. The defense isn't in dire straits, the offense is. Our OC was in Texas courting 15 and 16 year olds to come to his high school at the time of his hire, so yeah... I don't count it.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

Mars wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:46 am Kalani was already a college football coach, and he was already out recruiting, so it's not like he was at home on the couch the 10 months prior. He already had targets and relationships, he just had to convince them to swap along with him to Provo. So I'll count it, especially since transfers can come long after signing day, but I understand those who might not.
The problem with your statement is that, while the head coach "closes" the top recruits, most recruiting is done by the assistant coaches. The problem BYU has in having hired assistant coaches that have no college experience or had not been coaching at the college level for several years, is those new assistants were not out recruiting for another school. More importantly, they hadn't developed the pipelines with coaches at the top high school football programs that produce a lot of college level recruits. So in fairness to Sataki, he had a very major handicap in recruiting during his first recruiting season.

Of course, he's responsible for this problem since he hired those assistants. And the years it takes his current assistants to develop those pipelines is going to delay any turnaround at BYU for at least a couple extra years.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

True. And it's Sitake.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars