Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by KingCoug » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 am

Brayden Green wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm
... against some of the worst defenses in the nation. Compile his stats against above .500 teams and things get much less impressive. Against .750 things get downright horrific.

If Anae was coaching against a schedule like ours you would see the same results... Or did you like putting up complete Oh-fers annually against Utah, TCU, Boise State, FSU, et all?
The above is true. Before he left I actually went through all of Bronco's games and his win/loss record against the opponents end of season winning %. Definitely a big drop off against teams above. 500. And he only had a handful of wins vs teams above .700. And 2 of those were against FCS teams. The other good wins of those better teams were vs TCU in 2006 and Utah in 2009 - when we had a senior QB. But anyone who wants to bring up those games can't forget that, when all was said and done, both Gary Patterson and Kyle Whittingham made Bronco their you-know-what. Bronco did nothing but get pushed around and embarrassed by TCU after 2007 and by Utah after 2009.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by frdbtr » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

In my experience, good coaches get players to play good football and bad coaches do the opposite, and it happens almost immediately (someone mentioned Bronco turned BYU around in 1 year). I am not on the fire detmer bandwagon but I am looking at a team that is not playing good football at all and that is on the coaches. I would like to see Cahoon and Empey gone though and replaced by guys who can coach toughness. If the RB's don't start playing better then Mahe should be next. As far as the defensive coaches are concerned. I would like to see someone get Tuiaki to start calling something more creative than 4 lineman rushing and soft zone on every freaking play. If this team doesn't make a bowl game, I want to see some changes on the coaching staff, if they don't make a bowl next year, I want to see a new coaching staff, one that is more qualified than this one was when it was hired.

mormonrasta
Junior
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by mormonrasta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm

... against some of the worst defenses in the nation. Compile his stats against above .500 teams and things get much less impressive. Against .750 things get downright horrific.

If Anae was coaching against a schedule like ours you would see the same results... Or did you like putting up complete Oh-fers annually against Utah, TCU, Boise State, FSU, et all?
Anae averaged 27.8 points per game in the 55 games he coached at BYU vs. FBS teams that finished with winning records. BYU had a record of 28-27 in those games. BYU scored at least 20 points in 41 of those games.

By comparison, in the last 9 years of Lavell, BYU had 56 games against FBS teams that finished with winning records. We scored 24.17 points per game. Our record against such teams was 23-33. BYU scored at least 20 points in 34 of those games.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by frdbtr » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 pm

mormonrasta wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm
Brayden Green wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm

... against some of the worst defenses in the nation. Compile his stats against above .500 teams and things get much less impressive. Against .750 things get downright horrific.

If Anae was coaching against a schedule like ours you would see the same results... Or did you like putting up complete Oh-fers annually against Utah, TCU, Boise State, FSU, et all?
Anae averaged 27.8 points per game in the 55 games he coached at BYU vs. FBS teams that finished with winning records. BYU had a record of 28-27 in those games. BYU scored at least 20 points in 41 of those games.

By comparison, in the last 9 years of Lavell, BYU had 56 games against FBS teams that finished with winning records. We scored 24.17 points per game. Our record against such teams was 23-33. BYU scored at least 20 points in 34 of those games.
Aaaand Mormonrasta drops the mic.

screamineagle2
Recruit
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:11 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by screamineagle2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Dont look now but Virginia is now 4-1.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by frdbtr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Yep, it took the good coach 1 season to take a ACC doormat to a bowl game, and it too a bad coach 1 year to take a 9 win average team to being a doormat.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5604
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by Gunk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Of all the sports, coaching has the biggest influence in football. The number of players involved, the complexity of the sport, and the emotional aspect of the game all factor into football being the most influenced by coaching, good or bad.

We're seeing it right now.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1457
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by KingCoug » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm
Yep, it took the good coach 1 season to take a ACC doormat to a bowl game, and it too a bad coach 1 year to take a 9 win average team to being a doormat.
You're kidding right?

Not only is it waaaaay to early to start making those comparisons, you can't exactly make an apples to apples comparison with two different teams.

Even if we go 1-11 this year, I still wouldn't want Bronco back. We may have had a better record but, we saw repeatedly what Bronco's ceiling was, and we would have still lost to Utah.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9086
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by Mars » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Moving on from Bronco was a risk. We've gone from above average to terrible. That's bad.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5559
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by frdbtr » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 pm

KingCoug wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:27 pm
Yep, it took the good coach 1 season to take a ACC doormat to a bowl game, and it too a bad coach 1 year to take a 9 win average team to being a doormat.
You're kidding right?

Not only is it waaaaay to early to start making those comparisons, you can't exactly make an apples to apples comparison with two different teams.

Even if we go 1-11 this year, I still wouldn't want Bronco back. We may have had a better record but, we saw repeatedly what Bronco's ceiling was, and we would have still lost to Utah.
I'm being dead serious. I know there are a lot of Bronco haters out there. I don't understand it but I accept it. We had a very good head coach in Bronco Mendenhall and now he is turning around an ACC doormat. You can usually tell how a coach is going to do with a team pretty quickly. We didn't get to see that last year because Hill and Jamaal are literally that good. This year we are seeing it. This team is in complete disarray and the worst part about it is, the coaches have no idea how to fix it. I don't see this coaching staff doing anything good with this team. We are going to have to change again to hope the next guy can get us back to Bronco's level.

Post Reply