Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Mendenhall's Virgina Cavaliers

Post by frdbtr »

Bronco had 2 offensive coordinators and one of them averaged over 30pts per game every year he was the Ocoordinator with the exception of 10 when he was run off by the same idiots who ran off Bronco. This comparison is never going to go away. My main issue isn't that Bronco left, it was the tunnel vision from the BYU athletics department to hire Sitake without giving anyone else a legit shot. IMO, there were at least 3 better candidates than him including one who said after the interview that he didn't feel he was a serious candidate even though he currently has a successful and winning team as a HC. If BYU doesn't beat USU, and BYU has a losing season this year, I will want Sitake's seat to be red hot with a very short leash next year.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm Bronco had 2 offensive coordinators and one of them averaged over 30pts per game every year he was the Ocoordinator with the exception of 10 when he was run off by the same idiots who ran off Bronco. This comparison is never going to go away. My main issue isn't that Bronco left, it was the tunnel vision from the BYU athletics department to hire Sitake without giving anyone else a legit shot. IMO, there were at least 3 better candidates than him including one who said after the interview that he didn't feel he was a serious candidate even though he currently has a successful and winning team as a HC. If BYU doesn't beat USU, and BYU has a losing season this year, I will want Sitake's seat to be red hot with a very short leash next year.
He had Anae twice and Doman in between. And it almost sounds like you want to be right to think there was better candidates and are relishing the struggle.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:02 pm
frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm Bronco had 2 offensive coordinators and one of them averaged over 30pts per game every year he was the Ocoordinator with the exception of 10 when he was run off by the same idiots who ran off Bronco. This comparison is never going to go away. My main issue isn't that Bronco left, it was the tunnel vision from the BYU athletics department to hire Sitake without giving anyone else a legit shot. IMO, there were at least 3 better candidates than him including one who said after the interview that he didn't feel he was a serious candidate even though he currently has a successful and winning team as a HC. If BYU doesn't beat USU, and BYU has a losing season this year, I will want Sitake's seat to be red hot with a very short leash next year.
He had Anae twice and Doman in between. And it almost sounds like you want to be right to think there was better candidates and are relishing the struggle.
So, since I criticize the piss poor play that this current coaching staff is presiding over, I am accused of wanting BYU to fail in order to be proven right? That's rich. This is as disappointed as I have been in BYU football since 2002 because that was the last time I saw a BYU football team be completely physically dominated offensively and defensively by 4 teams, including an FCS team. I don't know what the answer is, but I am hoping that the current coaching staff finds it and implements it before Friday because if we lose to Utah state, we may only win another 2 or 3 games all season. I had major concerns with this current coaching staff when they were hired and I voiced them hoping I was wrong, and I guess my irritation is I am seeing my worst fears unfold on the football field.

Edit: I am aware that Anae had 2 stints as Ocoordinator. He still averaged over 30 points per game every year he was the Ocoordinator with the exception of 2010. He also got a backup QB ready in a week after spending all off season preparing someone else and had the offense still score over 30 points. He did that twice by the way.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm
So, since I criticize the piss poor play that this current coaching staff is presiding over, I am accused of wanting BYU to fail in order to be proven right? That's rich. This is as disappointed as I have been in BYU football since 2002 because that was the last time I saw a BYU football team be completely physically dominated offensively and defensively by 4 teams, including an FCS team. I don't know what the answer is, but I am hoping that the current coaching staff finds it and implements it before Friday because if we lose to Utah state, we may only win another 2 or 3 games all season. I had major concerns with this current coaching staff when they were hired and I voiced them hoping I was wrong, and I guess my irritation is I am seeing my worst fears unfold on the football field.

Edit: I am aware that Anae had 2 stints as Ocoordinator. He still averaged over 30 points per game every year he was the Ocoordinator with the exception of 2010. He also got a backup QB ready in a week after spending all off season preparing someone else and had the offense still score over 30 points. He did that twice by the way.
... against some of the worst defenses in the nation. Compile his stats against above .500 teams and things get much less impressive. Against .750 things get downright horrific.

If Anae was coaching against a schedule like ours you would see the same results... Or did you like putting up complete Oh-fers annually against Utah, TCU, Boise State, FSU, et all?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Brayden Green wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm
frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm

... against some of the worst defenses in the nation. Compile his stats against above .500 teams and things get much less impressive. Against .750 things get downright horrific.

If Anae was coaching against a schedule like ours you would see the same results... Or did you like putting up complete Oh-fers annually against Utah, TCU, Boise State, FSU, et all?
I remember beating TCU and Utah within the first 2 years of bronco and Anae...Sitake/Detmer can't say the same.
Also, 2005 BYU pushed TCU and Utah to overtime.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BYU has not had a statistically worse first 4 game performance since the 1950s despite having faced a similar or tougher 4 game strength of schedule several times.

There is no doubt or argument that this is the worst offense in the modern era of college football at BYU. The question is whether or not this will pay off next year in Detmer year 3, or the year after in Detmer year 4, or Detmer year 5.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am BYU has not had a statistically worse first 4 game performance since the 1950s despite having faced a similar or tougher 4 game strength of schedule several times.

There is no doubt or argument that this is the worst offense in the modern era of college football at BYU. The question is whether or not this will pay off next year in Detmer year 3, or the year after in Detmer year 4, or Detmer year 5.
I think it is going to pay off in the long run, so I am willing to be patient. As long as we are bowl eligible each year, which I think we will be, then I can wait a few years. If nothing happens by then, once the right personnel for the system are here, and they have had a chance to develop, if we don't see change by then, I would be looking for some coaching changes. Every major football program goes through a three to five year rebuilding after losing a very good coach, especially when they change offensive systems. It happened to Alabama before Saban, it happened to Florida after Urban Meyer left (and they are still rebuilding), it happened at Michigan, Ohio State after Tressel, Penn State after Joe Pa retired, USC recently, etc. We have been very spoiled that Bronco got his rebuild done in basically one year...but that is because the horses Crowton recruited fit Anae's spread system. I am willing to wait and see, because the concept is a good one. Run an NFL system so that we can recruit QBs and lineman that want to play in the NFL. We can recruit excellent QBs and excellent Lineman, Linebackers as we have in the past. We don't have the speed to out run people with a spread system, so why not use the smarts, and execution required by a pro-style offense to give us a competitive advantage. I'm willing to wait and see if we can get a Wisconsin style offense rolling at BYU. Because if we can, then we become competitive against our tough, front-loaded independent schedules.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougarfan87 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 am
hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am BYU has not had a statistically worse first 4 game performance since the 1950s despite having faced a similar or tougher 4 game strength of schedule several times.

I think it is going to pay off in the long run, so I am willing to be patient. As long as we are bowl eligible each year, which I think we will be, then I can wait a few years. If nothing happens by then, once the right personnel for the system are here, and they have had a chance to develop, if we don't see change by then, I would be looking for some coaching changes. Every major football program goes through a three to five year rebuilding after losing a very good coach, especially when they change offensive systems. It happened to Alabama before Saban, it happened to Florida after Urban Meyer left (and they are still rebuilding), it happened at Michigan, Ohio State after Tressel, Penn State after Joe Pa retired, USC recently, etc. We have been very spoiled that Bronco got his rebuild done in basically one year...but that is because the horses Crowton recruited fit Anae's spread system. I am willing to wait and see, because the concept is a good one. Run an NFL system so that we can recruit QBs and lineman that want to play in the NFL. We can recruit excellent QBs and excellent Lineman, Linebackers as we have in the past. We don't have the speed to out run people with a spread system, so why not use the smarts, and execution required by a pro-style offense to give us a competitive advantage. I'm willing to wait and see if we can get a Wisconsin style offense rolling at BYU. Because if we can, then we become competitive against our tough, front-loaded independent schedules.
I totally agree. problem is, BYU fans (all college football fans) are fickle and want results now. I'd like to see Kalani (and Detmer) given a few more years to get their system in place.

My biggest problem so far is that it seems that they've struggled mightily to get any sort of system going with the talent they do have (which is more than enough to at least move the ball down the field).

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I agree with what you've said above and I'm willing to give it another year to see some improvements. My only concern is that although every team goes through a rough patch after a transition it's almost unheard of for a team to go from an offense ranked around 20th to an offense ranked 130th. That is more than a rough transition, or at least it is potentially more than that. By the end of the year the offense better be ranked better than 75th or that's seriously bad news.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

I agree with what you've said above and I'm willing to give it another year to see some improvements. My only concern is that although every team goes through a rough patch after a transition it's almost unheard of for a team to go from an offense ranked around 20th to an offense ranked 130th. That is more than a rough transition, or at least it is potentially more than that. By the end of the year the offense better be ranked better than 75th or that's seriously bad news.
Agree. I think a lot of that has to do with the competition. I expect by the end of the year the stats will look much better.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.