Vanilla defense leads to a Rocky Road

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougarapologist
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Vanilla defense leads to a Rocky Road

Post by cougarapologist »

Forgive the ice cream flavor puns.

While I have no doubt that the defense is loaded with "tough guys", they aren't being given much chance to succeed. When an opponent shows you clearly that you cannot get pressure on the QB with your front 4, you must blitz, sometimes 5, sometimes even 6! Yes, this puts your corners on an island, but put them up close and have them jam the receivers, just to disrupt timing a little bit. This is football 101.

Playing straight base defense against a team who is so obviously physically superior may slow down a blowout a little bit, but it won't stop it. The LSU and Wisconsin games prove that. But taking a chance could lead to a sack or two, maybe even a turnover once in a while.

If you sit back and let them pound your base defense over and over, you have no chance at all. While BYU blitzed a little more in the 2nd half against Wisconsin, they really didn't do it enough to ever generate any significant pressure.

Probably wouldn't have changed the outcome at all, but at least you would have allowed the defense to be a little aggressive! We are way to passive on defense, and we are getting eaten alive for it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Vanilla defense leads to a Rocky Road

Post by frdbtr »

I agree with this completely. BYU's defense looks passive and soft. We get no pressure on the opposing QB's even the one from Portland State. Something needs to change.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Last week on the radio Jason Buck was kind of salty at how he perceives Takitaki being mis-used this season instead of being turned loose as a pass-rusher.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Last season Alex Hornibrook had a comp % of 58.6% (181 Att), 9 TDs to 7 Ints for a Rating of 125.8. Against us he had a comp % of 94.7% (18/19), 4 TDs to 0 Ints and a Rating of 277.4. Sad.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I just wish it was Lavell's Vanilla.....

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

This year's defense has been in it's base package for well over 95% of it's downs. Why we are playing such a base defense is really head scratching, when even Greg Wrubell, the everything is great and it's only getting better guy, starts openly questioning the vanilla defensive play calling you know something is wrong.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Greg also stated in post game that TakiTaki caused four holding penalties which he thought was as good as 4 sacks. And Wisc got away with a number of other holds on Taki.
Which makes me wonder, while in agreement with most thoughts on this thread--
1. Does Tuiaki just think that TakiTaki's rushing ability is good enough of a threat that he doesn't need any other pressure or isn't willing to sacrifice his Swiss cheese zone coverage.
2. Has our passing O looked "good enough" against our suspect pass D in practice and scrimmage such that Tanner and the pass O looked "good enough" and significant changes just weren't necessary?

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Fair questions.

Another explanation is that we're hiding the playbook against teams where we're clearly outmatched. But that has me bothered because it is us capitulating for losses, and who would we be holding back for? UNLV?

Last possibility is that Tuiaki doesn't have confidence in the ability of the D to run anything but base. But of course, that would belie poor coaching in an inability to install anything more than basic base defense over the last 21 months.

While I get that some want to withhold judgment comparing Sitake and Mendenhall, what I don't think is in doubt is that Mendenhall>>Tuiaki as a defensive play caller. Still, Mendenhall took time to grow into that role, though he started out at the other end of the risk-taking spectrum and dialed it back a bit over time.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Both of our first-time coordinators are in over their heads this year. Detmer can't adjust his offense to his players, and Tuiaki can't adjust to the opposing offense by changing up plays and keeping the opposing O guessing.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

I know a lot of people has been saying our D line isn't very good, or they don't get pressure on the QB. I would agree to that partially. I haven't gone back and watched to Wisconsin game, but I rewatch the Utah game and during that game they rushed only 3 many times, I think it was 16-17 times. Most of those times they only showed a 3 man front. Against Utah they effectively shut down everyone except the QB, he accounted for almost all of the offense. Even BYU's D line didn't get any sacks they certainly smacked him hard a few times, they were just a step late. I actually think both lines played well.

Now against Wisconsin, the whole D had fits because their backs were so good. They never went down after 1st or 2nd contact. BYU did suck at getting pressure on their QB, but the rest of the D mostly played zone from what I saw, and they were stuck playing their area and not anticipating someone coming into their zone and therefore Wisconsin's receivers were pretty much wide open all game long.