1-3 : A Guide to Not Hating Life

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

1-3 : A Guide to Not Hating Life

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Look, I'm down as much as anybody regarding the manhandling from Wisconsin today. All things considered, and this I also mentioned to the two Wisconsin fans who sat in front of me: this was a good, old-fashioned butt-whooping.

I am a total BYU homer. I give the coaches and players a pass. New system, injuries, high caliber opponents. It may be just one of those years. BYU might be down, but dammit they are never down for long.

I saw several good things from this team, and I think the season and the future is always looking good.

But I might just follow one of my other teams a little more closely than usual. Vandy is 3-0 and upset ranked Kansas State, with #1 Alabama next week. In college football, you never know who is up or down, because when you play with heart, you are never down for long.

screamineagle2
Recruit

Re: 1-3 : A Guide to Not Hating Life

Post by screamineagle2 »

I like your optimism. Like you I am not ready to hang anyone out yet but they better start showing some improvement especially with the soft part of the schedule on its way. Congrats on Vandy I hope they upset Alabama just for you.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I hope anybody upsets Alabama for all of us and NCAA football. Oh, and I appreciate the optimism too.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Yeah, my usual solace is Baylor. Not a good year.

Pro sports I go Cowboys, then Broncos. Nice "meh" week for me there.

Hunting is going good, so there's that.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Hey, my son is a huge Bama fan, so y'all back off.

I agree, though. Patience is needed. I saw some encouraging things from Hodge. If he hadn't made that boneheaded safety play at the end, and not thrown two picks, I think we would have the makings of a QB controversy.

The difference is that Hodge is throwing in rhythm. When he hits that back foot, he is releasing the ball. Mangum is still waiting to see who is open, which doesn't work in a pro-style offense. But I think Mangum would probably have looked a little better if he was allowed to play more from the shotgun, like Hodge was Saturday. And had Ula been healthy enough to be his featured back in the first games.

So, I don't think there is a controversy yet. But if Hodge gets more careful with the ball and learns to throw it away, there could be. I wasn't expecting much from him, but I was pleasantly surprised. Boise State, Utah State, and Mississippi State should be proving grounds for Hodge. If he succeeds against them, then I think we have a controversy. Success against the rest, is kind of expected, no matter who we trot out there.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.