An actual coaching genius on Detmer's Offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

An actual coaching genius on Detmer's Offense

Post by Brayden Green »

Tommy Tuberville on Ben Criddle's show.

Says that it is an elite offense and "impossible to stop" when the right personnel is in place. It's the reason most of the teams in the NFL use it.

The reason so many teams have gone away from it is that it is a complex offense, and it is hard to get a quarterback to make the reads.

I believe that if we get the right people (totally possible, we have a history of recruiting the right personnel for a pro-style offense) we will go back to the glory days, like when we were running the West Coast and torching people. Except those days are gone, everyone is so much faster than us on offense. But, we can get bigger and jam the ball down their throats. Counter their speed with unstoppable strength (a la Stanford), and we get the extra recruiting bonus of placing people in the NFL, and having an offense EXACTLY like 95% of teams in the NFL.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: An actual coaching genius on Detmer's Offense

Post by Cougs_Rule »

No offense BG...cause I usually like most all your stuff. but I also believed we will get into a P5 conf. Fools gold. What else is TT going to say? Coach speech. If true, The best college teams with the most elite athletes would be running this O.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 pm No offense BG...cause I usually like most all your stuff. but I also believed we will get into a P5 conf. Fools gold. What else is TT going to say? Coach speech. If true, The best college teams with the most elite athletes would be running this O.
Thanks. I like you too :)

I think it's the opposite. The pro style offense lends itself to system players, not "elite" players. For example, just because you are athletic it doesn't mean that you are smart. With other types of offenses (spread, read option, option attack, west coast from the shotgun) you can have a playbook that is only a page long and have success by speed and arm strength alone.

With the pro it is playing matchups before the ball is even snapped. It is having a QB who has sat on the bench for a couple years holding a clipboard taking the reigns as a junior or senior, with a fully complex matchup based offense that can have literally hundreds of potential different plays for each offensive set.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Also, the coaches didn't have influence of whether or not BYU joined a P5. They do have direct influence to change the personnel BYU recruits to fit their current and future schemes. Which they are already doing, for example, we have a Tight End now, which we haven't had since Pitta and George in the early - mid 2000's.

That only took a half season of recruiting. Everything else will come in time.

cougarnerd
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougarnerd »

Brayden Green wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 am They do have direct influence to change the personnel BYU recruits to fit their current and future schemes. Which they are already doing, for example, we have a Tight End now, which we haven't had since Pitta and George in the early - mid 2000's.

That only took a half season of recruiting. Everything else will come in time.
I agree that things will come. I think that many of the guys are trying the best they know how, and the coaches are calling plays based on performance. None of the players are outstanding yet, so we playcall more conservatively, hoping that slow and steady wins the race.

However, most of our issues would be fixed/irrelevant if we had a bigger/better O-Line & D-Line. More time to pass and room to run, we would get our offensive system going, QB (Tanner, Beau, or whoever) would have time to hit receivers. Hopefully, guys don't drop passes at that point. Defensively, we would get more QB pressure and run stop capability. We would be able to bring DBs in closer, maybe use LBs to cover w/ Safeties over the top. Force them to beat us deep, and with little/no time to throw, maybe we force a bunch of punts & turnovers.

Long story short, I wasn't aware that our O-Line & D-Line were smaller or less capable last year than this year. Maybe Taysom could somehow do more with it, but it seems to me that we have one of three problems.

First, if we did lose good SRs last year, our recruiting has been down, resulting in underqualified players for our system.

Second, they are not conditioned well enough (possibly because of the recruiting problem). I don't know if this is fixable--some athletes can spend hours each day and seem to have a high limit of peak lean muscle mass. (For instance, why, other than genetics, do LSU, Utah, and Wisconsin have bigger/more physical linemen?)

Third, they don't really care. They're going through life and college and go about hitting people, but can't muster the same mental energy as can the guys on opposing teams.

I'm not trying to be critical of our guys, just trying to say that as our coaches go on for another year or two, get connections with HS coaches etc., we should be able to recruit better/higher-level athletes that can perform in our system enough to succeed. I think this year we can still likely make a bowl, and maybe we lose. Maybe the same next year. I don't know if we will ever achieve another championship, maybe not even a New Year 6 bowl, but in 2-3 years, we might have another 10-win season.

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Just as a point of correction, Matt Bushman was a Bronco commit who went on a mission after committing.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:16 pm Just as a point of correction, Matt Bushman was a Bronco commit who went on a mission after committing.
I was just getting ready to post this. :D

Sharper
Recruit

Post by Sharper »

"... I wasn't aware that our O-Line & D-Line were smaller or less capable last year than this year. Maybe Taysom could somehow do more with it ..."

On this point, having a successfully running QB takes pressure off the O-Line. It forces the defense to use someone to spy the QB much of the time, leaving one less defender to either rush or cover. So Taysom likely did make a difference in how well the O-Line played.

That said, there is a difference between deciding on an offense and recruiting players for it and having players and then deciding on the offense which will best use their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

My own suspicion is that with a HC and OC who are less experienced with building a College program, they may have erred too much on trying for their ideal offense too early in the transition compared to creating an offense for the players they have right now.

That seems to be changing a little out of sheer desperation to move the ball, with some of the adjustments made against Wisconsin showing Detmer is at least capable of a pre-game analysis and adjustment during the week when sufficiently motivated. Now he needs to start better considering the question of "Once we change this or tweak that, what will the defense do to counter that and how can we be prepared to move on to the next adjustment in a timely manner?"

I expect they'll get it in time to beat at least most of the lousy teams on the schedule this year. The real question will be if they can pull off an upset anywhere (maybe not this year) or be better prepared with a successful offensive next year (I hope so).

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm
hawkwing wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:16 pm Just as a point of correction, Matt Bushman was a Bronco commit who went on a mission after committing.
I was just getting ready to post this. :D
That's cool. Would he have been used as a TE under Anae? It's hard to say that he would, based on our offense the last 5 years.