Mangum's last year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Mangum's last year?

Post by hawkwing »

cougarnerd wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm
Jarhead wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 pm If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....
From what I understand, he had no choice after his penalty vs Utah.
What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?
There was a celebration penalty he was called on while on the sidelines last year, which some thought may have ended his chance to redshirt because he was called for a penalty.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Jarhead wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 pm If Tanner is out for 4 weeks and his back-up succeeds, I don't see how you can justify putting Mangum back in this year. Maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent about not red-shirting last year.....
What penalty in what game are you referring to? I wasn't able to watch the Las Vegas Bowl, not sure if it was then, don't remember any specific penalties last game nor why they would have affected his choice to redshirt the year before?
It was during the 2016 Utah game -- Hill had that 40 yard run for a touchdown, and Mangum ran off the sideline onto the field for a chest-bump in the endzone and got flagged for a personal foul. End of his redshirt season at that moment.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 am
Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not
Nope as Mangum is listed as a junior so there is one more year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

TheDean wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 am
Yes, I'm aware he has one year left.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

TheDean wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:47 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 am Tanner got a penalty against Utah last year when he ran out onto the field after a Hill TD. There were rumors that said penalty affect the availablity of a red shirt year. Not sure if that's true or not

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

The way this season has gone, not even the Cleveland Browns would look at Mangum. I don't think the NFL route is a concern for him this year.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Jarhead wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 pm Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.
I've heard this rumor as well. I find it incredibly odd and wonder if he actually was thinking that, if he would take that redshirt at this point. I don't think 2017 has gone according to plan for Mangum. Why not keep that option open? you don't HAVE to use it.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Jarhead wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 pm Mangum made it clear last year that he had no interest in red shirting well before the Utah game took place.
No, he didn't.