Badgers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BubblerBoy
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Badgers

Post by BubblerBoy »

I will be the best looking Badger attendee come Saturday, unless others show up. I'll attend with a friend, BYU alum DD, who went with me to the game in Madison a few years ago.

Despite a number of injuries going in, especially to our still questionable O-line, I expect the Badgers to run consistently over BYU and hope our passing game keeps you honest. We have a few stud receivers, but question whether we can get the ball to them on time and in stride. The FAU game did not build confidence. Hornibrook, the QB, has really nice numbers when he not pressured, but the numbers drop when pressured and it has happened far too often. What kind of pressure have you been able to bring in your first few games?

The Badger D is really solid so far, so I expect it to come down to your D. We will run the ball and Taylor will have +150 yards, but that may not be enough if you contain our pass game. Don't think that will happen, but it could. Going in, I expect a 45-17 victory for the boys in Cardinal.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Badgers

Post by Mars »

Currently BYU has a fairly solid bend-but-don't-break defense that stops the run well, prevents the deep pass well, and is extremely tough in the red zone, but brings no pressure on the QB, doesn't blitz, and prefers to sit back in a vanilla scheme and give receivers a bubble of free space. So we give up yardage and first downs, and are poor on 3rd down, but we limit TDs and tend to keep scores low.

On offense, we suck.

Special teams, we have strong punt and kick coverage. Our kick returner can be dangerous, but our punt return is non-existent. Our punter has a decent leg, but sometimes tries to do too much. Our field goal kicker is awful, even from PAT range. We have the ability to block the occasional FG attempt.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am Our field goal kicker is awful, even from PAT range.
Especially when we sit our perfect long-snapper (Matt Foley) who has literally graded out perfect in every game of his career and instead let walk-on lob the ball short to the holder. That always helps.

Don't forget to mention how awesome our pooch kick game is....

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am Currently BYU has a fairly solid bend-but-don't-break defense that stops the run well, prevents the deep pass well, and is extremely tough in the red zone, but brings no pressure on the QB, doesn't blitz, and prefers to sit back in a vanilla scheme and give receivers a bubble of free space. So we give up yardage and first downs, and are poor on 3rd down, but we limit TDs and tend to keep scores low.

On offense, we suck.

Special teams, we have strong punt and kick coverage. Our kick returner can be dangerous, but our punt return is non-existent. Our punter has a decent leg, but sometimes tries to do too much. Our field goal kicker is awful, even from PAT range. We have the ability to block the occasional FG attempt.
Basically, if the badgers don't run roughshod over BYU, you may have to adjust your season expectations. Or, BYU figured out how to play football again.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am
Mars wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 am Our field goal kicker is awful, even from PAT range.
Especially when we sit our perfect long-snapper (Matt Foley) who has literally graded out perfect in every game of his career and instead let walk-on lob the ball short to the holder. That always helps.

WUT?! I don't follow the long snapping game too closely, but this seems strange.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

WUT?! I don't follow the long snapping game too closely, but this seems strange.
Very strange. Something weird is going on with personnel this season. Butch sits PSU. Hanneman doesn't play 2nd half against U. #98 long snaps on a field goal instead of Foley on the missed FGA, and there aren't any explanations -- not to the media, and not to the Cougar Club so far either.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I did notice hanneman was missing second half vs Utah. What the heck? I noticed there was no good explanation. I'm fine with Pau'u not playing PSU.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Very strange. Something weird is going on with personnel this season. Butch sits PSU. Hanneman doesn't play 2nd half against U. #98 long snaps on a field goal instead of Foley on the missed FGA, and there aren't any explanations -- not to the media, and not to the Cougar Club so far either.
As a new Cougar Club member I think I'm entitled to some insider info!! :D

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:21 pm
snoscythe wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

As a new Cougar Club member I think I'm entitled to some insider info!! :D
LOL. That wasn't what I was getting at. The prior staff, for all the talk about how they were with fans, was much more open about personnel and progress at Cougar Club luncheons and meetings than they were with the media. That's what I was referring to. Sitake is still more open with the Cougar Club, but personnel is a no-fly-zone.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Sitake did explain Hannemann missing the 2nd half. He said it was extra punishment for 2 targeting hits in a 3 game stretch.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars