Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYZoo
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

Post by BYZoo »

I think we're really seeing the effects of not having MLP. He was one of our returning experienced receivers with proven talent. The other was Trinnaman, but he hasn't done much at all. The others are all Freshmen and Sophomores with little to no experience. The same is true with running back. Squally hasn't shown much and is our only returning back with experience. These guys just don't seem like they're all on the same page. Tanner will have time to throw but misses an open receiver. Or, he has time to throw and throws into coverage instead of to the open guy. Or, the receivers are open and drop the ball when it's delivered. Sometimes, no one is open at all, but that hasn't been that often. The O-line has given him time, but the backs don't pick up the blitz. Stuff like that. I don't see a single person or position group that can be singled out for fault. It seems like it's a different person or group that breaks down depending on the play. I'm baffled because shouldn't stuff like this be worked out better in Spring ball or Fall camp? I know you can't simulate a game, but performing against a 1-AA school in your opener should have better performance and allow you to progress into the next game. Oh, except our next game was LSU, so even if we did progress it would be hard to tell.

As for Utah, that game was there for the taking. A touchdown on the Hifo PI play would have been huge. A more lucky bounce of the ball when Fred Warner caused a fumble early on, and we return it for a touchdown or at least recover in Utah territory. The lucky bounces of the Utes continue. Either way, I didn't see a Ute team that was dominant or really that good. They might win 4 more games, including San Jose St. As for BYU, I think we need a quarterback that makes plays and has that intangible. Maybe Tanner has it and he's thinking too much because of the offense and he's getting confused. Or, maybe he just doesn't have it. So far this season, I haven't seen much of a playmaker/gamer out of him. Hope it changes soon.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Who was the receiver/tight end who dropped the ball in the north endzone at the pylon? That was a huge drop and a GREAT throw. There were a LOT of drops that should have been catches on Saturday vs Utes. Not just the last drive.

BYZoo
Recruit

Post by BYZoo »

Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYZoo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.
Any non-catch that hits a guy in the hands is painful to watch.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm
BYZoo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm Pretty sure it was Neil Pau'u, a true freshman. It would have been a tough catch, so I have a hard time calling it a drop. Could have been caught, though, for sure.
particularly when it would have been a TD against a rival in a loss. I agree it would have been a difficult catch, but not impossible.

Where is MLP?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm
Mars wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:27 pm
particularly when it would have been a TD against a rival in a loss. I agree it would have been a difficult catch, but not impossible.

Where is MLP?
Injured in fall camp

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

MLP hurt his foot in the penultimate practice of fall camp.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SpiffCoug wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm MLP hurt his foot in the penultimate practice of fall camp.
Out for 8-ish weeks.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.
A spot on and very true statement especially in the O-line and WRs case.