Talent gap is growing - how can we win?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
cougarapologist
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Talent gap is growing - how can we win?

Post by cougarapologist »

Worst fears being realized. Utah is bigger, stronger, faster. They look like a P5 team. We don't.
Only way to win is to play perfectly, and we don't.

KingCoug
All-American

Re: Talent gap is growing - how can we win?

Post by KingCoug »

I've always believed (and still do) that you can beat superior talent as long as A) the talent margin is not too wide (with Utah it's not, they're not Alabama) and B) you have superior coaching and scheme.

In short, whatever gap in talent isn't the problem. It's the gap in coaching.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 am I've always believed (and still do) that you can beat superior talent as long as A) the talent margin is not too wide (with Utah it's not, they're not Alabama) and B) you have superior coaching and scheme.

Namely the offensive line and receivers coaching.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 am
KingCoug wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 am I've always believed (and still do) that you can beat superior talent as long as A) the talent margin is not too wide (with Utah it's not, they're not Alabama) and B) you have superior coaching and scheme.

Let's not forget who hired those guys in the first place.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 am

Let's not forget who hired those guys in the first place.
I agree. These same guys have to realize the mistake and fix it.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

cougarapologist wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 am Worst fears being realized. Utah is bigger, stronger, faster. They look like a P5 team. We don't.
Utah's talent doesn't look any different to me than any of their talent they have had in the past as was shown by BYU out gaining them in every game since 2006. Where Utah has the advantage is in coaching as Bronco was consistently out coached by Whittingham in every game they coached against each other. Sitaki hasn't been out coached like Bronco has but he does have a pathetic o-line coach and WRs coach where Utah has a solid coaching staff except in the OC position and we will see if Utah will need another OC at the end of the season. If Whittingham ever leaves Utah then Utah will be in trouble as he is the one who holds the whole staff together.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 am
cougarapologist wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 am Worst fears being realized. Utah is bigger, stronger, faster. They look like a P5 team. We don't.
Utah's talent doesn't look any different to me than any of their talent they have had in the past as was shown by BYU out gaining them in every game since 2006. Where Utah has the advantage is in coaching as Bronco was consistently out coached by Whittingham in every game they coached against each other. Sitaki hasn't been out coached like Bronco has but he does have a pathetic o-line coach and WRs coach where Utah has a solid coaching staff except in the OC position and we will see if Utah will need another OC at the end of the season. If Whittingham ever leaves Utah then Utah will be in trouble as he is the one who holds the whole staff together.
I agree with that last point especially. When Whittingham is gone, I don't think we'll see the same kind of Ute domination.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

I heard Gordon Monson just say on the radio he doesn't think BYU will ever beat Utah again. I know I know everyone hates him blah blah blah. But to the point of this thread it's starting to seem that way. Utah tonight on offense looked so much faster more athletic and to me superior to almost every player on BYU'S offensive side of the ball. Utah has always had the athletes on defense but now they are getting them on both sides of the ball. If BYU can't get some more athletes I'm not sure they can win 1 out of 10 games against Utah. Going to the PAC12 has been so beneficial for Utah and going to the BIG12 has done the same for TCU. Not being in a P5 conference, and in more ways then people on here want to hear the honor code are hand cuffing BYU. Neither will change the gap will just keep getting bigger and the losing streak longer. I fear dark days over the next 5-10 years especially if realignment comes and BYU gets passed over again.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

a1247 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:40 am I heard Gordon Monson just say on the radio he doesn't think BYU will ever beat Utah again. I know I know everyone hates him blah blah blah. But to the point of this thread it's starting to seem that way. Utah tonight on offense looked so much faster more athletic and to me superior to almost every player on BYU'S offensive side of the ball. Utah has always had the athletes on defense but now they are getting them on both sides of the ball. If BYU can't get some more athletes I'm not sure they can win 1 out of 10 games against Utah. Going to the PAC12 has been so beneficial for Utah and going to the BIG12 has done the same for TCU. Not being in a P5 conference, and in more ways then people on here want to hear the honor code are hand cuffing BYU. Neither will change the gap will just keep getting bigger and the losing streak longer. I fear dark days over the next 5-10 years especially if realignment comes and BYU gets passed over again.
BYU will beat Utah eventually as Utah will get complacent and Whittingham won't be there forever. Independence has helped BYU in the recruiting department. Once Bronco's leftovers are gone, if Sitake keeps getting the good recruiting he has been getting BYU, and if BYU can get a solid a O-line and WRs coach BYU will be fine. Frankly I don't see there being much of a gap between BYU's players and Utah's players. I do see a gap in the coaching however as Utah definitely has the clear edge there as long as Whittingham stays with Utah and BYU fails to improve their staff.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Utah's 2nd rate OC from Eastern Washington ran circles around our good 'ol boy Detmer.

As long as Sitake and Holmoe keep hiring former players with no coaching experience, BYU will never improve regardless of how good of a recruiter Sitake is.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel