BYU - Utah Game Thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU - Utah Game Thread

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:31 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:19 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 am

I agree, BYU needs to increase the Tempo. They don't even need to go full no huddle, just speed it up and don't let the defense set up. Cahoon was a major mistake at receivers coach. He was fired the first time for incompetence and we brought him back. Empey was also the Oline coach with Crowton and that Oline was horrible before they fired him and hired Jeff Grimes. Why do we retread failed coaches?
That is a very good question at the end of your post. Aaron Rodrick is an unproven question mark it would make more sense to hire Chad Lewis who has experience and has proven him self in the NFL as a 6 time all pro.
While it makes me throw up in my mouth a bit to suggest Roderick because he was a ute coach for so long, he has way more experience coaching than Chad lewis. Lewis was an all pro TE in the NFL but he has never coached anyone at any level. Roderick is a former BYU receiver who coached the utes receivers for many many years.
Having Cahoon coach both the TEs and WRs is just too much for him. The TEs need a separate coach from the WRs. Rodrick may have coach WRs but he has never coached TEs and this is where Chad Lewis would be the better choice as an all pro TE he worked both as WR and a blocker on the o-line as such the WR and TEs blocking ability would improve as well as their ability to catch the football. Besides how can we know how well he can do as a coach if he is never given the chance??
K, so you need to do some research before you post. You have been wrong about your facts on practically every post you have made tonight. This is the latest example. Cahoon is not BYU's TE's coach, he is the WR coach. Steve Clark is coaching the TE's. IMO the TE's are not the problem this year. Bushman looks really good and is making tough catches.
Not so, as Cahoon is listed as the WR and TE coach on the coaching roster. Steve Clark is an assistant position coach that works with offense, but Cahoon is the listed WRs and TEs coach. TEs still haven't really shown anything except for a couple of catches per game and haven't become an integral part of the offense despite TY saying they would, but are doing better than the WRs.
http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/coaches.php

Hmmmmm.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/coaches.php?year=2000

Lavell's last year. Notice who Roger French is?
Last edited by frdbtr on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/coaches.php?year=2004

04 when Lance Reynolds was supposed to be the Oline coach according to "The Dean"

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/coaches.php?year=1996

Who's the offensive line coach/offensive coordinator?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Just got home from the game. Here's the ugly truth my friends.

The offense is a total shambles. There's only one guy on offense who is any good, Matt Bushman. Tanner Mangum is a mess. He's making wrong reads, he's underthrowing 95% of his passes. He's locked on to receivers making for easy picks. He's completely unaware of his blindside. He had one good drive where he looked like the Mangum of old. It's probably enough to give him the start again next week, but only barely.

The offensive line is a mess. They aren't recognizing when potential pass rushers will have a free lane to the QB. They are barely getting any surge or holes open on run blocks. Their bright side is that they didn't have any personal fouls called against them that I recall.

The running backs are terrible. They aren't picking up pass protections, they aren't making a guy miss, they aren't falling forward when hit.

The receivers are awful. They aren't making the easy catches, let alone the tough catches. They struggle to get open, they are making mental mistakes like getting offensive PI when it was completely unnecessary.

The defense isn't as good as we're giving them credit for. Yes, they stiffen up inside the 20, but they are giving up far too many long drives and huge chunk yardage plays.

Special teams is also poor. Missed field goals, onsides kicks that go out of bounds, just a disaster.

Coaches are clueless. They don't have any idea at all how to fix the issues. The schemes are just bad. The play calling is bad. Players are starting to grumble and divisions are forming in the locker room from some of the whispers I'm hearing from people in the know.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 am

No the last time BYU had a decent O-line coach was during Lavells last season. I agree the receivers have talent they just lack the mental toughness the need to run precise routs and catch clutch balls when they are needed. This indeed a coaching problem just like the O-line lacking the toughness they need to hit somebody and drive them back 3 yards to open running lanes and to knock defenders back that are rushing the QB. This too is a coaching issue.
In 06 with Jeff Grimes, John Beck stood behind a brick wall of an Offensive line against TCU's rush with 2 badly sprained ankles and threw darts all over the field. He left after the 07 season and the Oline got worse every year since.
Really as I recall Beck was still be chased most of the time in 06 as the o-line was the worst it had ever been thanks to coach Reynolds and has never really improved and if he was so good then why wasn't he kept as O-line coach after the season was over. In Lavell's last year BYU had 3 outland trophy winners on the o-line, who played the next year under Reynolds in Crowtons first season as HC and the O-line steadily went down hill as the season went on and has never been the same since and BYU has made 5 or 6 changes in O-line coaches since Lavell left.
Reynolds wasn't the oline coach in 06, he was the RB's coach. Jeff Grimes was hired in 04 to be the Oline coach and stayed until 07. BYU beat TCU in 06 and 07. John Beck had to badly sprained ankles against TCU and could barely walk but still was able to stand behind his Oline and pick the TCU defense apart. Grimes left after the 07 season and in 08 TCU pummeled Max Hall. BYU's offensive line was still decent in 08 and 08 but in 10 they got worse and it just kept going from there. I agree that Roger French was probably BYU's best Oline coach of all time but Grimes was a very good one. He is, incidentally, LSU's offensive line coach and their line is pretty good as we saw last week.
I agree that LSU's O-line was pretty good but if Grimes was so good why did BYU let him go after 2 seasons??? Reynolds was the O-line coach from the time Lavell left until Bronco took over and as 06 was under Bronco so your are right there. Roger French was the Co-OC and not the O-lime coach. I believe Ramage was the O-line coach under Lavell, but who ever it was had several Outland trophy winners over Lavells time as HC.
Wrong all the way around. Reynolds was the Oline coach in 00 but was moved to the RB coach in 04 when Grimes has hired. Grimes was not "let go" he left to become the assistant head coach and Oline coach for a different university (a promotion). Roger French was the Oline coach, he was also co Ocoordinator with Norm Chow dude. You seriously have no clue what you are talking about. Please stop posting stuff you know nothing about.
2000 was Lavell's last season as HC. 2001 to 2004 was the Crowton era when Reynolds was the o-line coach and Bronco era began in 2005 which is what I said just not in these words. Reynolds was moved to the RB coach in Broncos first year as HC which was 2005 and BYUs run game suffered because of it. Grimes leaving to go to another school doesn't matter as the 2 years he was O-line coach BYU still had O-line problems. the fact he became a good O-line coach is a testament to the coaches at the other schools he worked with. Roger French was the Co-OC with Norm Chow after the previous OC left to take another job after 1984 national championship. He may have been the O-line coach as well, but he was always listed as the Co-OC but was never listed as the O-line coach. In any case the o-line under Lavell was the best O-line BYU has ever had and the O-line fell apart when Crowton was HC and has never been the same since.
Last edited by TheDean on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TheDean »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 am Just got home from the game. Here's the ugly truth my friends.

The offense is a total shambles. There's only one guy on offense who is any good, Matt Bushman. Tanner Mangum is a mess. He's making wrong reads, he's underthrowing 95% of his passes. He's locked on to receivers making for easy picks. He's completely unaware of his blindside. He had one good drive where he looked like the Mangum of old. It's probably enough to give him the start again next week, but only barely.

The offensive line is a mess. They aren't recognizing when potential pass rushers will have a free lane to the QB. They are barely getting any surge or holes open on run blocks. Their bright side is that they didn't have any personal fouls called against them that I recall.

The running backs are terrible. They aren't picking up pass protections, they aren't making a guy miss, they aren't falling forward when hit.

The receivers are awful. They aren't making the easy catches, let alone the tough catches. They struggle to get open, they are making mental mistakes like getting offensive PI when it was completely unnecessary.

The defense isn't as good as we're giving them credit for. Yes, they stiffen up inside the 20, but they are giving up far too many long drives and huge chunk yardage plays.

Special teams is also poor. Missed field goals, onsides kicks that go out of bounds, just a disaster.

Coaches are clueless. They don't have any idea at all how to fix the issues. The schemes are just bad. The play calling is bad. Players are starting to grumble and divisions are forming in the locker room from some of the whispers I'm hearing from people in the know.
Tanner would be fine if BYU had an offensive line coach and WRs coach that was worth anything. The defense is very good but stays on the field far to long so they get gassed which is why they give up too many long drives. I can't argue with your special teams assessment though. Otherwise your assessment is good.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Tanner really wouldn't be fine, I appreciate how well loved he is to many of you from his 3 big hail mary passes. But it's disingenuous to say he's anything but an F graded QB this year. Even when he has time he's locked on to receivers, under throwing balls, and making bad calls. Part of that is this offense is so terrible only the best of the best QBs can make it look like it's even slightly viable, but in an Anae offense Mangum would probably look fairly decent, but he'd still have some serious flaws.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:47 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am
TheDean wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:34 am

In 06 with Jeff Grimes, John Beck stood behind a brick wall of an Offensive line against TCU's rush with 2 badly sprained ankles and threw darts all over the field. He left after the 07 season and the Oline got worse every year since.
Really as I recall Beck was still be chased most of the time in 06 as the o-line was the worst it had ever been thanks to coach Reynolds and has never really improved and if he was so good then why wasn't he kept as O-line coach after the season was over. In Lavell's last year BYU had 3 outland trophy winners on the o-line, who played the next year under Reynolds in Crowtons first season as HC and the O-line steadily went down hill as the season went on and has never been the same since and BYU has made 5 or 6 changes in O-line coaches since Lavell left.
Reynolds wasn't the oline coach in 06, he was the RB's coach. Jeff Grimes was hired in 04 to be the Oline coach and stayed until 07. BYU beat TCU in 06 and 07. John Beck had to badly sprained ankles against TCU and could barely walk but still was able to stand behind his Oline and pick the TCU defense apart. Grimes left after the 07 season and in 08 TCU pummeled Max Hall. BYU's offensive line was still decent in 08 and 08 but in 10 they got worse and it just kept going from there. I agree that Roger French was probably BYU's best Oline coach of all time but Grimes was a very good one. He is, incidentally, LSU's offensive line coach and their line is pretty good as we saw last week.
I agree that LSU's O-line was pretty good but if Grimes was so good why did BYU let him go after 2 seasons??? Reynolds was the O-line coach from the time Lavell left until Bronco took over and as 06 was under Bronco so your are right there. Roger French was the Co-OC and not the O-lime coach. I believe Ramage was the O-line coach under Lavell, but who ever it was had several Outland trophy winners over Lavells time as HC.
Wrong all the way around. Reynolds was the Oline coach in 00 but was moved to the RB coach in 04 when Grimes has hired. Grimes was not "let go" he left to become the assistant head coach and Oline coach for a different university (a promotion). Roger French was the Oline coach, he was also co Ocoordinator with Norm Chow dude. You seriously have no clue what you are talking about. Please stop posting stuff you know nothing about.
2000 was Lavell's last season as HC. 2001 to 2004 was the Crowton era when Reynolds was the o-line coach and Bronco era began in 2005 which is what I said just not in these words. Reynolds was moved to the RB coach in Broncos first year as HC which was 2005 and BYUs run game suffered because of it. Grimes leaving to go to another school doesn't matter as the 2 years he was O-line coach BYU still had O-line problems. the fact he became a good O-line coach is a testament to the coaches at the other schools he worked with. Roger French was the Co-OC with Norm Chow after the previous OC left to take another job after 1984 national championship. He may have been the O-line coach as well, but he was always listed as the Co-OC but was never listed as the O-line coach. In any case the o-line under Lavell was the best O-line BYU has ever had and the O-line fell apart when Crowton was HC and has never been the same since.
So, let me think, Grimes was hired in 04, the Oline was a complete mess. He left after the 07 season after BYU had beaten TCU twice with solid Oline play. First off, that is 4 years, not 2 and the Oline was solid from 05 until he left. TCU just happens to have a pretty good Defense and they pummelled Max Hall in 08 and 09 when we played them. Second of all, if you go to cougarstats.com and look at the coaching through the years, Roger French is listed as the Oline coach the whole time Lavell was the coach so I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "he may have been the Oline coach but was never listed as the Oline coach". Seriously dude.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Jarhead wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 am Tanner played pretty poorly this game.
Just like he did last time he played them. All y'all were saying Tanner has "it". We are now seeing what happens when your LUCK runs out and you're not lobbing last second TDs to win games.

And I'm not blaming Tanner. Offense is in shambles. I disagree with anyone who said Tanner had time tonight. Huntley's line performed awesome. I don't think we recorded a single sack. Who are the running backs? Have we decided to just abandon the run game? Receiver did NOT fight through a single thing. Only one I'm impressed with was Bushman.