Riley Burt moved to CB

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Riley Burt moved to CB

Post by hawkwing »

CrimsonCoug wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:48 am Or, Burt saw that the run game was a total loss due to the weak o-line and abandoned ship.

More likely, this probably means that we sustained more injuries to the CBs than we did to the RBs and we're scrambling for depth there. And maybe they wanted a corner who could help in run support after Guice bounced the others around like bowling pins.

No matter how you slice it, the only way this would have been a positive indicator is if the running game was already playing lights-out. They're not, so this can only be interpreted as bad news.

Funny thing is, I thought we were hearing out of camp (can't remember if it was Spring or Fall) that he was doing pretty well, and was expected to be a featured back. I figured he didn't play the last while because he was in the dog house--like he violated team rules or something.
Hmmm....Maybe he was just in Reno's doghouse. and Tuikai sprung him loose.

Then again, aside from his one 41 yard run, his ypc was about 3.5 (though a small sample). That's OK, but not great.
Most reports in camp said he was 1a/1b running back, right there with Squally. Many expected him to end up being named the starter by the 2nd or 3rd game. The fact that he never even sniffed the field in the first 2 games was absolutely shocking. Some people have hinted that there were discipline or injury issues that the staff were keeping quiet. This move kind of makes those rumors seem baseless.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Since day 1 of Spring Camp, my understanding has always been that Ula is the RB that everyone has pinned their hopes on, and that Squally is just a place-holder until he gets up to speed on blocking-schemes and back to 100% health.

On Criddle's show they were saying Riley Burt was an "internet superstar" who seemed to generate a lot of chatter on the fan boards based on measurables and a camp highlight or two, but that never was as high on the coaches' radars as the fans'.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am Since day 1 of Spring Camp, my understanding has always been that Ula is the RB that everyone has pinned their hopes on, and that Squally is just a place-holder until he gets up to speed on blocking-schemes and back to 100% health.
ahem.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm
snoscythe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am Since day 1 of Spring Camp, my understanding has always been that Ula is the RB that everyone has pinned their hopes on, and that Squally is just a place-holder until he gets up to speed on blocking-schemes and back to 100% health.
ahem.
Good thing our best back got 4 carries tonight, or was it 5?