Mangum trending down in every stat category

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Mangum trending down in every stat category

Post by frdbtr »

The comment about meds is par for the course for that poster whom in 09 was calling for Austin collie to have an injury after he declared early for the NFL draft. With some people you just expect it and then nothing surprises you.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SenorCougar wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 am Uncalled-for and reflects worse on the commenter than on Tanner.
Uhhh. I don't think anyone in their right mind felt that jab in any way reflected poorly on Tanner. Mars will Mars.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 pm I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.
While I have no direct experience with anti-depressants, from what I understand one of the theories behind them is keep the user at an even emotional level and they accomplish such by removing the highs and lows.

I've seen this first hand in friends and family. While the "depression" is diminished so is the elation.

From a purely objective point of view, it's not unfathomable to suspect that Tanner isn't experiencing something like this and that it isn't affecting his play. Football is an emotional game. If Tanner isn't feeling the same way he was 2 years ago, if he can't get as amped or fired up like he used, why would it be unreasonable to assume that may be affecting his on-field performance?

I've seen coworkers' performance affected by anti-depressants. I've seen family affected and I've seen friends. That doesn't mean I am "judging" them or demeaning them. If a co-worker suddenly lost an arm, we'd all know, talk about its effects, and make accommodations. We'd acknowledge and address it. But if someone is depressed, for some reason we think it best to be hush-hush about it and pretend they are unaffected. How is that more compassionate? How does that remove barriers?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:51 pm I'm on depression meds. Some work great, some have terrible side effects. I've experienced both. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with his looking so vastly different on the field. It might, it might not. Same thing as him supposedly breaking up with fiancee, as another poster mentioned.
A family member of mine is on anti-depressants. The medication had a poor effect and increased thoughts of suicide. The practitioner did a blood test called genomic testing and discovered that they were using the wrong med. The medication was switched with fantastic results.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:39 pm
While I have no direct experience with anti-depressants, from what I understand one of the theories behind them is keep the user at an even emotional level and they accomplish such by removing the highs and lows.

I've seen this first hand in friends and family. While the "depression" is diminished so is the elation.

From a purely objective point of view, it's not unfathomable to suspect that Tanner isn't experiencing something like this and that it isn't affecting his play. Football is an emotional game. If Tanner isn't feeling the same way he was 2 years ago, if he can't get as amped or fired up like he used, why would it be unreasonable to assume that may be affecting his on-field performance?

I've seen coworkers' performance affected by anti-depressants. I've seen family affected and I've seen friends. That doesn't mean I am "judging" them or demeaning them. If a co-worker suddenly lost an arm, we'd all know, talk about its effects, and make accommodations. We'd acknowledge and address it. But if someone is depressed, for some reason we think it best to be hush-hush about it and pretend they are unaffected. How is that more compassionate? How does that remove barriers?
I think you bring up a lot of very good points here.

I think one of the big problems with mental illness is there's such a stigma around it and it's treatment that no one wants to talk about it, but discussing it openly is a step in the right direction. I don't think anyone would say that TM is a bad person or should just shake off his depression. He should be treated properly (that to be determined by him and his doctors).

Mental health is far more important than football ability.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Mars, I have disagreed with you on some things but I want to tell you I appreciate your courage in telling us of this personal problem. I pray you are successful in overcoming this.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Tanner has been taking anti-depressants fro his issues since high school.

Can't say I buy that they suddenly are making him zombie-like on the field, especially since this offense made Taysom Hill look zombie-like as well.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

vancouvercougar wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:10 am A family member of mine is on anti-depressants. The medication had a poor effect and increased thoughts of suicide. The practitioner did a blood test called genomic testing and discovered that they were using the wrong med. The medication was switched with fantastic results.
As Vancoug stated, a possible side affect of most medications is a potential increase in the thing being treated. Yes, depression meds can cause increased depression. That being said, snoscythe's explanation seems much more likely. The Oline and RBs may be doomed, but I do have hopes that Tanner will bounce back.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I sound like a broken record but it is all about the Oline and the receivers. As they go, this offense will go and IMO both have been playing poorly so far this year. Hopefully they get things fixed before Saturday or we will have 7 losses in a row to the utes.