Mangum trending down in every stat category

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Mangum trending down in every stat category

Post by hawkwing »

I was bored and decided to do some analysis of Mangum. I can't sleep after that disaster.
Completion-trend.PNG
YPG-trend.PNG
YardsPerCompAtt.PNG
As you can see, Mangum is trending downward. The offense is getting more and more anemic and the Mangum of early days with the big arm is no where to be seen. He's now under throwing receivers on 10 yard routes, let alone under throwing them by 8 or 10 yards on 40 yard routes.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Mangum trending down in every stat category

Post by SpiffCoug »

His fiancé broke him when their engagement ended so she could play volleyball in Korea. He's not the first man broken by a woman. But Tanner is a very poor QB right now.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Mars wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.
And commments like this are why people who struggle with depression hesitate to discuss these kind of issues in public. C'mon man.

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

How do you expect any QB top perform when he has no receiver with any speed, no running back with speed and no offensive line? Tom Brady couldn't score many points with this team.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:43 am I was bored and decided to do some analysis of Mangum. I can't sleep after that disaster.

Completion-trend.PNG

YPG-trend.PNG

YardsPerCompAtt.PNG

As you can see, Mangum is trending downward. The offense is getting more and more anemic and the Mangum of early days with the big arm is no where to be seen. He's now under throwing receivers on 10 yard routes, let alone under throwing them by 8 or 10 yards on 40 yard routes.
I'd imagine LSU is going to damage a lot of QBs stats this year. Kinda like Michigan 2015 killed some qbs (including Tanner)

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

Mars wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 am Plus he's on depression meds now. Looks like a zombie out there on the field.
Really man? You ought to be disgusted with yourself.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Woody3715 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 pm How do you expect any QB top perform when he has no receiver with any speed, no running back with speed and no offensive line? Tom Brady couldn't score many points with this team.
I agree with some of this. The receivers are plenty fast, just not physical. They don't fight for 50/50 balls and they don't run good routes. The offense might not help them much. Where is BYU's 80's offense? They used to make fools of bump coverage back then with crossing routes, passes to the RB out of the back field and the TE over the middle. It seemed like every pass to a WR last night was on a well covered streak. Why weren't they going over the middle at all?

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Tanner is a good man. I hope the best. The trend lines are disconcerting. BUT the trend lines also reflect the play calling and TEAM performance. Tanner did miss some receivers, BUT play action does not work when you cannot run on the team and the D does not have to respect the run. Passing is harder when a three man rush can put pressure to throw quickly. Passing is harder when you apparently don't have a RB who can catch a ball (Dye caught one!! And that was it) passing is harder when your receivers do not fight for the ball. Beau Tanner LET that defender intercept the ball. There was no fight. Passing is harder when you don't call more plays like slants (Trinamon (sp?) was money last year on slants.). I've seen none this year I have seen no crossing routes or wr in motion to stymie bump and run. I don't know what's going on totally but I know some of it is team performance and some of it is coaching and play calling. I've seen Tanner's capabilities. They are still there. He is someone to work with and utilize in a successful scheme. BUT he cannot on his own carry this team to the promised land and it is foolish for any of us to assume otherwise.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

The future has arrived. Bronco is gone. Taysom is gone. Fights in the stands to bench Taysom and play Tanner. Taysom is not an NFL caliber QB. Tanner will opt out for the NFL early. Bronco rubbed everybody wrong. Bronco can't recruit. Kelani is getting 3+ star recruits that Bronco couldn't. Preseason reports receiving corps and tight ends much improved. Oline is finally close to potential with a senior 4 year starter at center. Speed like BYU has never had before. Off-season strength training was impressive and this team finally has the strength to compete. Taysom played well enough in preseason to be picked up off waivers quickly. May have an NFL future of some type. Things aren't always as simplistic as they seem. I liked Bronco and I like Kelani. I liked Taysom and I support Tanner. I'm not into scapegoats. Lastly, the comment about depression was one of the lowest blows I've seen here. Uncalled-for and reflects worse on the commenter than on Tanner.