Anae > Detmer

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Anae > Detmer

Post by Brayden Green »

He (Anae) had great offenses with talented kids that he - largely - didnt recruit.

Then he got let go because he was too predictable and got shut out repeatedly by .500 teams. When Bronco wanted him back he was in charge of running backs at Arizona. Of course he came back as OC.

He then proceeded to destroy the only good thing that BYU had going for it, it's offensive line recruiting, opting to recruit "white lerpy athletes" who could run fast for their size, instead of big maulers who can just blow up one or two guys in front of them and push them down field.

Ty is running the right offense with the wrong personnel. You can't run a pro offense with people that can't run block. Some adjustments need to be made, but if you think Ty is working with elite talent at any position, he's not. Tejan is the closest thing that we have to a decent lineman. That dude is beastly. But he is better suited for a stamina, paced offense like GFGH. The thing about GFGH is it is too gimmicky and won't work against elite competition. The pro style will. It needs a little bit of time, and recruits that are especially brought in to support it.
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Ddawg wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:37 pm
Mars wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:59 pm Detmer simply has no clue what he's doing.
Let's see, Ty Detmer played QB for 4 years at D1 school BYU. While there, during his Junior year he had one of the greatest years of any QB in NCAA history. He set 42 NCAA records and tied 5 others.

Upon Detmer's graduation, he had set an NCAA record for the highest passer rating - 162.7. (Won't mention he finished his college career holding 59 NCAA records).

What D1 college did you play football at? Were you a QB at a D1 school? How many NCAA records did you set? (Note - we're not even mentioning his Heisman trophy).

Let's see - Ty Detmer then played in the NFL for 14 years.

What NFL team did you play for?

But you know best, and Ty Detmer "has no clue what he's doing." Got it.

Exactly. If there were 1000 people in a room, Detmer would be the smartest person in that room. A bunch of keyboard warriors hiding behind usernames think they are smarter at offense than Ty Detmer? The guy whose job was to hold a clipboard and tell Steve Young and Brett Favre what they were doing wrong for years? Lol.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Detmer had how much college coaching experience again? Zero? None? Same as me? Yep.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Detmer is a greater athlete than I ever was or will be. He knows more about football than I even care to know about.

That doesn't make him a good coach.

It's one thing sit in a room and go over film with an NFL QB, someone who is already at the top of the game. It's another to take a 20-something with above average athleticism and understanding of the game and turn that 20-something into a world-beater. Two different skill sets. One relies on observation and intellect, while the other relies on motivation and skills production.

I get Detmer is dealing with the wrong type of players for the offense he's trying to run. So, why not come up with something that fits his current roster a bit better and work towards the offense he wants to run? For such a football genius, coming up with such a scheme shouldn't be too hard, right?

Sending a bunch of clydesdales to race against thoroughbreds is stupid as is trying to have a bunch of thoroughbreds pull a wagon they aren't meant to pull. Detmer trying to get the weak GFGH recruits to play a pro-style scheme is short sided and makes me question all those fanciful rumors BYU fans love to pass along about Steve Young and Brett Favre owing their greatness to Detmer.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I just love the "you got zero football experience so shut up" line. Well, I think 99.9% of the people on here have zero college and NFL experience so why don't we just shut down CougarCorner?? The point of fan sites is so that fans can come have opinions about things. If you don't like hearing people's opinions then GTFO here and maybe the Internet all together.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Now, what I suggest is, all you that want Ty Detmer fired and hung from a tree. Please type up your resume. Include your vast football experience. I suggest including your "fixes" for the current BYU offense malaise in your resume. I'm sure Coach Kalani Sitake will breathe a great sigh of relief because You Have All the Answers. Right?

Please do not delay - type that resume up and scoot on over to the BYU Athletics Dept. and turn the offense around.

Good luck.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

And let's see the resumes of all of those backing Detmer and saying he's doing a great job. Apparently in order to have an opinion here you need to be in the coaching hall of fame.

I don't want to hear any criticisms of Bronco, Anae, Nelson, or Heaps. They were all great because what does anyone here know??

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

My opinion, Detmer is fine. The plays were there to be had against Utah. Mangum is not seeing open receivers, nor is he seeing blitzes even when they don't come from the blind side. The problem is that Mangum can't yet read a defense, doesn't have great pocket presence, the O-line does not run block very well, and receivers are dropping crucial first downs. I think many assumed (myself included) that Mangum would be a good fit in Detmer's system because he could throw the ball well. But he had zero experience running a pro style offense. So he has struggled. Hopefully he will be really good by his senior year with two years in the system, but I wouldn't expect much out of him this year. There will be tweaks to roll him out more, and use shotgun more, but they are not going to change the system, nor should they. Kalani and Detmer are building a program. Once their Oline, and Dline recruits come in and develop, and QBs have a couple of years to sit and learn the offense, we will start to see BYU competing much better against stiffer competition. They came to a program with players built for an offense that is way different from the offense we need to run against top teams. The pro-style offense will allow us to do so. We just need to be patient. I loved seeing Kalani immediately bench Hifo for dropping the first down pass. I love that he hurts when we lose and he hates having to apologize to BYU fans for losses. He gets it. Both Kalani and Detmer have my total support. If things are still this bad in a couple of years, then maybe there would be reason for concern. Right now I just chalk it up to growing pains in a rebuild. BYU fans have been pretty spoiled to not have to go through the major rebuilding project that almost every program has to go through. We should be patient with coaches that are still being competitive while they are rebuilding.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.