What surprised me the most from the offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What surprised me the most from the offense

Post by hawkwing »

I was most surprised by Tanner's consistent underthrows. In many his long throws he was consistently under throwing his receivers by several yards. I can remember 1 or 2 overthrows but a lot of underthrown balls.

This is something I'll be watching for closely against LSU.

redneckjedi
All-American

Re: What surprised me the most from the offense

Post by redneckjedi »

We had several near catches on those underthrown balls which would have led to 14+ more points, and then everyone is happy. Hopefully that is just in-game chemistry that will improve over time.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 am I was most surprised by Tanner's consistent underthrows. In many his long throws he was consistently under throwing his receivers by several yards. I can remember 1 or 2 overthrows but a lot of underthrown balls.

Ben Criddle, Cam Jensen, and Jake Kuresa all agree that the most concerning thing coming out of PSU was Tanner Mangum*.

*no one was calling for any backups, so no strawman knee-jerk rebuttals, please.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 am
hawkwing wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 am I was most surprised by Tanner's consistent underthrows. In many his long throws he was consistently under throwing his receivers by several yards. I can remember 1 or 2 overthrows but a lot of underthrown balls.

Ben Criddle, Cam Jensen, and Jake Kuresa all agree that the most concerning thing coming out of PSU was Tanner Mangum*.

*no one was calling for any backups, so no strawman knee-jerk rebuttals, please.
I want QB2 whoever he is!!! :lol:

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

I may not be calling for a backup QB, but I will *ahem* note that since about week three of the polling for "least confident position group" I was voting for the QB group. After Tanner's bowl-game performance, after seeing Tayson regress from how he looked against Nebraska, and with a pro-style offense that demands much more perfection from the QB in all facets, I've been very concerned about how well any QB is going to perform this season.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:22 am
byufan4ever wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

I may not be calling for a backup QB, but I will *ahem* note that since about week three of the polling for "least confident position group" I was voting for the QB group. After Tanner's bowl-game performance, after seeing Tayson regress from how he looked against Nebraska, and with a pro-style offense that demands much more perfection from the QB in all facets, I've been very concerned about how well any QB is going to perform this season.
You just criticized two different QB1s. Mind blown! :bug:

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm certainly not ready to call for any backups, I think it's pretty clear from what I've seen that TM is head and shoulders above the other QBs, but it is interesting that he has struggled to make some of these throws.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:38 amYou just criticized two different QB1s. Mind blown! :bug:
It may be worse, but between the lines I think I'm really criticizing a Heisman-winning QB1.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think I said at the start of last year or when Detmer was hired, that he'll either be here for 20 years (or however long he wants) or he'll be gone after two or maybe three years. I think his offense is either going to work or he's quickly going to realize it's not and will say he doesn't need the stress, criticism, etc. that comes with a failed offensive system.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The underthrown balls are balls thrown late, probably because Tanner was waiting for guys to get open before letting the ball go. This offense requires timing and you are supposed to throw the ball on time. Lets hope that the timing gets better during week two, and especially week 3, I don't want to see another loss to the utes but I am starting to feel like it is going to happen again.