BYU receivers still dropping balls.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 am
BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:BYU receivers have struggled against physical, aggressive DBs for as long as I've been a fan. Luckily there are only a handful of teams that have athletic enough secondaries to do this.
unfortunately, BYU plays a few of them this year.
Including the utes.
And, more urgently, LSU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 am
BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:BYU receivers have struggled against physical, aggressive DBs for as long as I've been a fan. Luckily there are only a handful of teams that have athletic enough secondaries to do this.
unfortunately, BYU plays a few of them this year.
Including the utes.
And, more urgently, LSU.
Losing to LSU doesn't hurt near as much as losing to the utes. The reason BYU has lost to the utes 6 times in a row is because they bump and harass our soft receivers to death and throw off the timing of our passing game. in the 15 bowl game our receivers out played the utes defense but 5 turnovers leading to 5 TD's in the first 2 seconds of the game were too much to overcome. Last year, with our marshmallows, the passing game was non existent.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I think frdbtr likes our receivers. Just saying.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am I think frdbtr likes our receivers. Just saying.
I have no opinion on this years receivers because frankly, we have seen none of them in action. Jonah Trinnaman was nothing special last year and Moroni LP was a complete marshmallow as a WR so I have some serious reservations on how he will be physical at the TE position. Other than those 2 we have seen none of our receivers that are being talked about in the media this year. As for last year, I have never seen a worse group than we had last year. That is why we used TH and JW as our primary weapons in the offense last year in the running game. The pass was an afterthought and failed more often than not to do anything. Of course Taysom Hill took the blame for it :whistle: even though BYU fans had seen what he was capable of in the passing game the first 4 games of 14 and 2/3 of the game at Nebraska. Funny thing, now that he has capable guys in the NFL, he all of a sudden learned how to throw the ball again. Anyway, sidetrip. I am hoping our receivers learned some toughness in the off season or we are going to waste the most talented thrower we have had in the offense since John Beck and before him Sark.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Brandon Bradley was on Criddle's show yesterday and he said after watching the last day and a half of practice that he was really impressed with the receiving corps and the DBs and thought those two position groups may be the strength of the Cougars this year.

It was definitely an interesting and alternative view to what we've heard a lot so far.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am Brandon Bradley was on Criddle's show yesterday and he said after watching the last day and a half of practice that he was really impressed with the receiving corps and the DBs and thought those two position groups may be the strength of the Cougars this year.

It was definitely an interesting and alternative view to what we've heard a lot so far.
I really hope he is right. I would love to see that play out in games. After watching so many years of very poor receiver play, I am in wait and see mode with the Oline and the receivers. Every year we hear how good these guys are going to be and every we don't see it play out on the field.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

If our WRs were that bad last year, we should have burned a redshirt and played Simon or one of the other. Even if they only got in for a few plays a game, we were one play away from winning 4 games last year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

scott715 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 am If our WRs were that bad last year, we should have burned a redshirt and played Simon or one of the other. Even if they only got in for a few plays a game, we were one play away from winning 4 games last year.
They were that bad last year but for some reason the coaches decided against bringing anyone off of redshirt.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Trevor Matich, whom I assume knows more football than all of us on this board kept saying all year last year on BYU sports nation that if you had to convince a Jury that the BYU receivers wanted the ball more than the opposing db's wanted it, you wouldn't be able to do it by the video evidence. I wasn't the only one seeing how soft they were last year. All you have to do is go to BYUTVsports.com and watch some football game replays of previous years and you will see the difference. The difference between the 15 receivers and the 16 receivers is huge. If you really want to see tough receivers go watch the 96 team. I watch a lot of college football and BYU's receivers were the softest group I watched last year and it wasn't even close. Most of those guys would never have even seen the field on any college team other than ours.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Tell us how you really feel.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins