BYU receivers still dropping balls.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by frdbtr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Hopefully they can get this cleaned up before LSU. This could cost BYU a great season if it doesn't.

"We had a few drops that could have been big plays for us. We talked to the receivers, the tight ends, the backs, they’re all involved in that, it’s not just the receivers. And so you let them know that there are plays left out on the field. And we could have been really good on Saturday had we made some of those plays. Things like a dropped ball here or there win or lose a game when you’re playing really good teams." Ty Detmer

http://byucougars.com/m-football/fall-c ... -scrimmage

User avatar
Fido
All-American
Posts: 1977
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by Fido » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 am

I wouldn't be wringing hands just yet. That's what fall camp is for--fixing stuff like this.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by Gunk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Ya, but they are coming off a season where they dropped a lot of balls. So, seeing them drop passes in practice has to be concerning. Maybe our receivers just have bad hands.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11959
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by hawkwing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Cameron Jensen mentioned on Criddle's radio show yesterday in a phone interview (somewhat odd, since he's normally in-studio co-hosting) that if there's one aspect of the team that he's been disappointed with so far in his observations at practice it's the receivers. He said they haven't made much progress since last year.

User avatar
scott715
TV Analyst
Posts: 10046
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Pendleton, OR

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by scott715 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Not good news.

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11959
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by hawkwing » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm

And today Tysom Whiting the social media guy on the show said that the receivers had shown a lot of progress since the start of fall camp.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by frdbtr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm still hoping. The way Detmer is talking, it sounds like they are trying to address the issues. This team has a ton of potential with the talent they have in Tanner, but that talent will be wasted if guys are letting balls bounce off their facemasks like Moroni LP did in the bowl game last year with his pristine white uniform at the end of the game. It is going to take some physical receiver play to beat utah and that is why BYU has struggled with the utes for the last 10 years. The last time we beat them, we had guys like Pitta and George and some receivers that actually looked like they wanted the ball more than the defense and it still took over time. The marshmallows we have had the last few years don't have a chance. The only reason we had a chance last year was because of guys like Williams and THill and it wasn't enough.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by Gunk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm

frdbtr wrote:I'm still hoping. The way Detmer is talking, it sounds like they are trying to address the issues. This team has a ton of potential with the talent they have in Tanner, but that talent will be wasted if guys are letting balls bounce off their facemasks like Moroni LP did in the bowl game last year with his pristine white uniform at the end of the game. It is going to take some physical receiver play to beat utah and that is why BYU has struggled with the utes for the last 10 years. The last time we beat them, we had guys like Pitta and George and some receivers that actually looked like they wanted the ball more than the defense and it still took over time. The marshmallows we have had the last few years don't have a chance. The only reason we had a chance last year was because of guys like Williams and THill and it wasn't enough.
Don't forget all the turnovers we caused.

Last year should have been blowout if our receivers were any good.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by frdbtr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Gunk wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I'm still hoping. The way Detmer is talking, it sounds like they are trying to address the issues. This team has a ton of potential with the talent they have in Tanner, but that talent will be wasted if guys are letting balls bounce off their facemasks like Moroni LP did in the bowl game last year with his pristine white uniform at the end of the game. It is going to take some physical receiver play to beat utah and that is why BYU has struggled with the utes for the last 10 years. The last time we beat them, we had guys like Pitta and George and some receivers that actually looked like they wanted the ball more than the defense and it still took over time. The marshmallows we have had the last few years don't have a chance. The only reason we had a chance last year was because of guys like Williams and THill and it wasn't enough.
Don't forget all the turnovers we caused.

Last year should have been blowout if our receivers were any good.
I 100% agree. If we had had the 15 receivers in 16, we beat Utah easily and probably only have a 1 loss season, if not go undefeated. If we only had 1 guy as physical as Austin collie was in our receiver corps last year, we win games that we would have lost. If we had had 2 guys like K.O. and McGuire from the 96 team, we go undefeated last year. watching the football game replays on BYUtvsports.com it is unbelievable to me how soft our guys were last year. Very frustrating.

Edit: reading between the lines in the interviews from fall camp has me believing that the receivers are not going to have improved a lot this year. The DB's are saying that they are frustrating the receivers with bump coverage which to me is not a good sign, it means the receivers get frustrated with physical play. The receivers should be initiating the physical play not getting frustrated by it. I hope I am wrong.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8992
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU receivers still dropping balls.

Post by BroncoBot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:54 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Gunk wrote:
frdbtr wrote:I'm still hoping. The way Detmer is talking, it sounds like they are trying to address the issues. This team has a ton of potential with the talent they have in Tanner, but that talent will be wasted if guys are letting balls bounce off their facemasks like Moroni LP did in the bowl game last year with his pristine white uniform at the end of the game. It is going to take some physical receiver play to beat utah and that is why BYU has struggled with the utes for the last 10 years. The last time we beat them, we had guys like Pitta and George and some receivers that actually looked like they wanted the ball more than the defense and it still took over time. The marshmallows we have had the last few years don't have a chance. The only reason we had a chance last year was because of guys like Williams and THill and it wasn't enough.
Don't forget all the turnovers we caused.

Last year should have been blowout if our receivers were any good.
I 100% agree. If we had had the 15 receivers in 16, we beat Utah easily and probably only have a 1 loss season, if not go undefeated. If we only had 1 guy as physical as Austin collie was in our receiver corps last year, we win games that we would have lost. If we had had 2 guys like K.O. and McGuire from the 96 team, we go undefeated last year. watching the football game replays on BYUtvsports.com it is unbelievable to me how soft our guys were last year. Very frustrating.

Edit: reading between the lines in the interviews from fall camp has me believing that the receivers are not going to have improved a lot this year. The DB's are saying that they are frustrating the receivers with bump coverage which to me is not a good sign, it means the receivers get frustrated with physical play. The receivers should be initiating the physical play not getting frustrated by it. I hope I am wrong.
BYU football and T. Hill's injury in 2015 was very unfortunate. Sure, Mangum stepped in and did, for the most part, a stellar job in getting the Ws that BYU needed that year. The receivers he had definitely helped him out. But I think Hill, with the receivers on that team, could have got a lot of NFL attention. Hill returned in 2016 to some of the worst receiver play I can remember at BYU. Lots of drops, soft receivers, giving up on routes, etc.

Post Reply