Fall camp (Aug 3rd)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fall camp (Aug 3rd)

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:I never said Kalani was on the show and said that, I said it was mentioned by players and media who had been at the practice and heard that. As I've thought of it more, I recollect that it was actually attributed to Ty Detmer and was speaking about he wanted to play people who had been in the system longer and earned it. His goal is to play Jr's and Sr's. for that reason.

The episode in question was late last week, either Wed, Thur, or Friday.
He has not interviewed Detmer since March. Last week the only member of the coaching staff he interviewed was Mike Empey, who pretty much said the opposite of what you've heard--in fact it's the promo cut on ESPN960 right now: (paraphrasing) "If a younger guy outperforms a starter, that means he's better than the starter and our line is better having that younger guy on the line." In fact, the station has titled the interview "I'm always going to allow competition at all times.

Criddle and ESPN960 are really good at putting their takes and interview out there on social media, so the fact that you can't find a link or retweet makes me think you might have misheard something, especially when everything that is out there is pretty much opposite of that.

The only thing remotely close to what you are recollecting came from Detmer about the runningbacks, not the QBs
talking about RBs, Detmer wrote:You’re starting to see that natural instinct, where (Canada has) got some experience and that experience is helping him stay probably at the top,” Detmer said. “At the same time, those other guys are pushing.
That's not saying experience is something they are looking at, he's saying Squally is showing 'natural instinct' better because of his experience, and that natural instinct is the edge.
again re: RBs, Detmer wrote:We’re young skill-wise but we’re talented, so it’s a matter of getting those guys experience in our system, getting him comfortable to where things happen naturally for him and he doesn’t have to think about my read or my cut. I can just go play
Just as I hope coaches don't use "more experience" in deciding who should play, I also hope they don't discount a better performing player because, well he's just got more experience. Whoever is playing best, you play him, whether it's raw ability or seasoned discipline arising out of experience.

I think we might be a bit over-sensitive to coaches mentioning experience in our players.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Interesting. Based solely on the footage Hawk posted, Hoge has had far better performance over little Detmer (and I say that intentionally; the guy's puny--about my size. 6 even, 160. Check that; he's listed at 5-10, 175. And you know the official numbers are always inflated).
That meets my eye test, too. I live on the East coast but was out for the Fall 2015 scrimmage and saw both of them throw in game situations, and even with limited reps, Hoge seemed the better QB--though neither was great at that time.
But in Koy's corner, if both Hoge and little Detmer have improved since Spring, then that implies that Detmer hasn't hit his ceiling and still has room to grow. And if big Detmer is really concerned about people knowing the system, then that has to favor his nephew, who played in basically the same offense under Grandpa Sonny.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

If Tanner Mangum goes down against any of our front 5, I want Beau Hoge to be next in. I *think* he would disrupt a defense more, and still be on the mark with a passing attack.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Apparently I'm not making myself very clear despite the fact that I have specifically said that it was not an on air interview but a report from those who were at camp (making it 2nd hand information). So in order to clarify, this was not an on air interview, nor was it a recorded sound bite from Ty. It was a comment made by someone talking about what was said while at practice. Yes, this means it is a 2nd hand comment.

I hope that that clarifies the misunderstanding in what I wrote earlier.

And to reiterate it was specifically in talks about QB and it could have been completely taken out of context by the guys, but that's what we listen to them for.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »