Fall camp (Aug 3rd)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fall camp (Aug 3rd)

Post by hawkwing »

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Fall camp (Aug 3rd)

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks for putting these highlights on Hawk. Some of us who don't live down there only have posts like this to go on.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I try to put them together, but some days I'm too busy. I'll try to be better at it.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Thanks, Hawk.

Here are some highlights I saw; translating numbers in to names.
Troy Warner had a nice PBU of a Mangum pass to Jonah Trinneman, who had a bad case of T-Rex arms.
Koy CAN complete a pass. (I'm not too high on him)
Beau-2-Beau: B Hoge had a nice deep ball to B Tanner, mostly thanks to poor coverage by freshman Chaz Ah You
11-2-11: Critchlow tossed an INT to Austin Lee over a weak attempt to get it by Aleva Hifo
Glad to see Sione back to invading the backfield!
Al-Bakri's a big dude with nice hands coming out of the backfield.
Nice little run by Fonua--though the D didn't look like they were trying.
Squally looks the best of the RBs with a couple of good, shifty cuts and change of pace.
Tanner-2-Tanner: Nice pass by Tanner Mangum hitting B
eau Tanner in stride, and great YAC by the JR juco transfer.
Nice job by Mangum threading the needle and finding Talon Shumway over the middle.
Overall the D did a nice job bottling up the run, and Z Anderson did a nice job breaking up a pass as another Koy Detmer ball fell to the dirt.

After the first few days of practice, I have to think that Hoge has the upper hand for backup QB and Canada has the inside track for starting at RB--though the running backs collectively are not terribly impressive.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The interesting talk around camp that I'm hearing is that Koy is actually the better QB than Beau but that there is a real split on naming him #2 because Beau has "put in the time" and deserves it.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

CrimsonCoug wrote:Thanks, Hawk.

Here are some highlights I saw; translating numbers in to names.
Troy Warner had a nice PBU of a Mangum pass to Jonah Trinneman, who had a bad case of T-Rex arms.
Koy CAN complete a pass. (I'm not too high on him)
Beau-2-Beau: B Hoge had a nice deep ball to B Tanner, mostly thanks to poor coverage by freshman Chaz Ah You
11-2-11: Critchlow tossed an INT to Austin Lee over a weak attempt to get it by Aleva Hifo
Glad to see Sione back to invading the backfield!
Al-Bakri's a big dude with nice hands coming out of the backfield.
Nice little run by Fonua--though the D didn't look like they were trying.
Squally looks the best of the RBs with a couple of good, shifty cuts and change of pace.
Tanner-2-Tanner: Nice pass by Tanner Mangum hitting B
eau Tanner in stride, and great YAC by the JR juco transfer.
Nice job by Mangum threading the needle and finding Talon Shumway over the middle.
Overall the D did a nice job bottling up the run, and Z Anderson did a nice job breaking up a pass as another Koy Detmer ball fell to the dirt.

After the first few days of practice, I have to think that Hoge has the upper hand for backup QB and Canada has the inside track for starting at RB--though the running backs collectively are not terribly impressive.
Thanks C C.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:The interesting talk around camp that I'm hearing is that Koy is actually the better QB than Beau but that there is a real split on naming him #2 because Beau has "put in the time" and deserves it.
Here's all I've heard about the QB situation:

- all 4 of the backups are significantly improved over Spring ball, even Hoge and Detmer.
- Critchlow is the biggest surprise, and has a real shot at taking over the #2 this season from Detmer/Hoge.
- The heir apparent to Mangum is Wilstead, but he may be placed on the scout team to maximize his reps in practice. He may not be the #2 QB at this moment, but given his progression and upside, most everyone thinks he will be the runaway #2 going into Spring 2018.
- Hoge and Detmer are essentially tied for the backup role if you strictly look at passing #s, but Critchlow is pushing them.

As for Hoge vs. Detmer, little Detmer has shown a stronger arm this Fall, which has helped him keep the gap close, but Hoge has the added ability to run the ball that gives the offense an added facet that is not there with Detmer. Hoge also has greater upside as this is just his 4th year of playing the QB position, but Detmer has been playing the position since he could grasp a football and may be at his plateau after 12 years of playing QB in competitive football. In this case, if passing performance is a tie, the tie goes to Hoge. Detmer has to win it outright if he wants it. Again, both will need to fend off Critchlow.

I have not heard a single inkling from anyone that any player, much less any QB, is getting any more favorable consideration because of "dues", "effort", or "time" put in. Everything I have heard at every position comes down to who is better at their position. It's almost a point of emphasis from this coaching staff (especially Mike Empey) to distance themselves from those notions, so I'm rather shocked to read your post.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The interesting talk around camp that I'm hearing is that Koy is actually the better QB than Beau but that there is a real split on naming him #2 because Beau has "put in the time" and deserves it.
Here's all I've heard about the QB situation:

- all 4 of the backups are significantly improved over Spring ball, even Hoge and Detmer
- Critchlow is the biggest surprise, and has a real shot at taking over the #2
- The heir apparent to Mangum is Wilstead, but he may be placed on the scout team to maximize his reps in practice. He may not be the #2 QB at this moment, but given his progression and upside, most everyone thinks he will be the runaway #2 going into Spring 2018.
- Hoge and Detmer are essentially tied for the backup role if you strictly look at passing #s, but Critchlow is pushing them. Detmer has shown a stronger arm this Fall, which has helped him keep the gap close, but Hoge has the added ability to run the ball that gives the offense an added facet that is not there with Detmer. Hoge also has greater upside as this is just his 4th year of playing the QB position, but Detmer has been playing the position since he could grasp a football and may be at his plateau.

I have not heard a single inkling from anyone that any player, much less any QB, is getting any more favorable consideration because of "dues", "effort", or "time" put in. Everything I have heard at every position comes down to who is better at their position. It's almost a point of emphasis from this coaching staff (especially Mike Empey) to distance themselves from those notions, so I'm rather shocked to read your post.
There have been multiple quotes and comments on it attributed to Kalani Sitake made on Ben Criddle's radio show by media members are former players who have been at the practices.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:There have been multiple quotes and comments on it attributed to Kalani Sitake made on Ben Criddle's radio show by media members are former players who have been at the practices.
Link? I listen to Criddle every day, and I haven't heard anyone say that Hoge gets the nod for paying dues--it's all been about upside and the added threat of mobility.

His guest hosts and former player interviews are all over the board on the backup QB race. Harper even went from "Detmer" to "tie" in the space of 24 hours last week.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I never said Kalani was on the show and said that, I said it was mentioned by players and media who had been at the practice and heard that. As I've thought of it more, I recollect that it was actually attributed to Ty Detmer and was speaking about he wanted to play people who had been in the system longer and earned it. His goal is to play Jr's and Sr's. for that reason.

The episode in question was late last week, either Wed, Thur, or Friday.