Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

QB
9%
RB
32%
OL
27%
DL
14%
LB
No votes
DB
5%
K/P
14%
KR/PR
No votes

Total votes: 22

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I get the wait and see attitude with Tanner.

All QBs get in trouble from time to time. The difference is Taysom's progression was 1st read; 2nd read; run. Tanner's is 1st read; 2nd read; 3rd read; roll out right and chuck it down the field. Once other defenses figured out that tendency--UCLA--they put a stop to it.

And let's not forget the absolutely horrifying chuck-a-duck into the endzone during the bowl game that had an only-in-vegas rarified odds of coming down into our TE's hands for a TD--and the winning margin.

By the game numbers, Tanner's passing stats in games were better than Taysom's, but Taysom had better total QB yards (passing + QB running)--even after controlling for competition; total offense was a push. That was according to stats I ran last summer; I haven't updated it with the 2016 season stats.

I'm not saying we should go with the backup, just that Tanner still has work to do. But for the reasons above, I think he'll be about as effective overall as Taysom. The big difference in my mind is RBs. You don't easily replace the all-time leading rusher in school history.

I will say this, though, and I mean it with all sincerity. I feel that Tanner has had some unseen help. Those hail marys and the bobble catch and a number of other 'lucky' outcomes are too unlikely, in aggregate, to be mere chance in my opinion. Calling living right (and I really do get the sense that he is quite earnest about being a humble, dedicated follower of Christ), or whatever, but he's got something going for him. Even his resilience and ability to comeback in the Utah game--nearly a precursor of Tom Brady superbowl--makes me scratch my head and think that there's something 'special' about Tanner Mangum, beyond his innate football skills.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Of the Position Groups Listed in Which do You Have the LEAST Amount of Confidence?

Post by byufan4ever »

Nah, I think we should go the direction of never ever bench the starting QB ever. It disrupts the game flow and causes a splinter in the team. The starting QB should get all snaps in every single game. We don't want to even see what the back-ups could potentially do...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

How bout we let the coaches coach. 99.9 percent of the time when it comes to personnel decisions, the fans don't know what they are talking about.

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

frdbtr wrote:How bout we let the coaches coach. 99.9 percent of the time when it comes to personnel decisions, the fans don't know what they are talking about.
Ah! And who on this illustrious board would like to lay claim to being that 1 in 1000 who does know what he is talking about?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Let's just keep in mind that BYU coaches monitor this board and take their cues from threads just like this.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote:Let's just keep in mind that BYU coaches monitor this board and take their cues from threads just like this.
Haha. How else to explain never again going for it on 4th and 19 on your five yard line! ;) They heard, they adjusted, and then they moved on. Cheers!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I said personnel decisions, not play calling.