Odds ' N Ends

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Odds ' N Ends

Post by snoscythe »

A few things bouncing around in my skull today re: BYU football:

- Ty Detmer had an interesting co-interview with Tanner Mangum on media day on Ben Criddle's show. Ty's vision of the offense is punishing defenses for adapting to the spread. "You want to put a 220 lb middle-linebacker on the field? Then we're going to pound that guy all day long, and when you bring the safeties up to compensate, we're going to pick you apart." Translation -- I think we will see more Ula at RB this season than Squally, and I think BYU is going to try to be more like Alabama and Michigan than the Lavell-era Cougars.

- LES is getting additional cell boosters from T-Mobile and Sprint this season (they had Verizon boosted last season) and is trying to get WIFI in place before the season as well, which should lead to additional "experience" upgrades like an official in-game app, etc. Having been to the new McLane Stadium (Baylor), I'm excited about an LES app -- here's what Baylor's app offers:
In-Venue Content: Get access to live video and replays under your control while at McLane Stadium.
Parking Assistance: Get traffic routes to and from the stadium based on your parking location.
Social Media: Aggregated Twitter feeds of everything Baylor Football, check in to McLane Stadium on game day, one-click tweet of all media items, one-click Facebook posting of all media items.
Stats: Real-time statistics.
News: Real-time breaking news from the Baylor Football program.
Videos: Video-on-demand clips from Baylor Football, as well as coach and player interviews.
Photos: Gallery of action photos from games.
- Holmoe has pretty much ruled out corner expansion at LES. Feedback is that adding more of the undesireable endzone and corner seats will just make it harder to sell games out. Any future expansion/renovation would focus on (1) adding more sideline/E/W seats via upper deck(s) and luxury type seating. Not any time soon, but that's what fans should be looking for instead of corner filling.

- No more walk-on tryouts. I've heard that under Kalani, BYU will be moving exclusively to "preferred walk-ons" and will no longer have open tryouts in the Fall for any Rico that thinks they were overlooked.

- Jamaal Williams is #2 on the GB depth-chart, but has been getting all the #1 snaps in the hurry-up offense drills.

- Vegas projects Utah with 5.5 wins this season.....

- I think BYU sells caffeinated beverages in 2018, but no Mtn Dew.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Odds ' N Ends

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote: - I think BYU sells ...... no Mtn Dew.
A shame. It's fun to get all hopped up on Mtn. Dew like a spider monkey. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLe09qoyPP8

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I'm not against big tough running backs but I miss the Edwards days when the passes ripped defenses apart. Defenses are better at stopping that attack but I still miss it.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I like that between Tanner and Ty, there is the ability to scheme against what most college teams are doing. At some point that play action will open up and Tanner will strike it for the chunk play. I'm feeling it baby!

I can't wait to watch the battle in the trenches against them LSU boys, then see how they handle the passing attack. Those d-backs will do a few first game mis-reads to compensate, and then wham! I think this *might* be the season where a top O and top D are on the same team. I'm feeeeeeeeeelin gooooood. Tiger bait!!!

I also think an in game app and an enriched 2nd screen gameday experience will send BYU publicity on social media to a whole new level. I would be happy to work for whoever is making it. And I love sharing the experience online with all those who love BYU football. That's you idiots.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Also:

- At the Coaches' Circle dinner last week, Kalani was asked "What's the biggest strength of the team this year, and what's the biggest weakness?" His response -- "Tanner Mangum".

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:Also:

- At the Coaches' Circle dinner last week, Kalani was asked "What's the biggest strength of the team this year, and what's the biggest weakness?" His response -- "Tanner Mangum".
I love Kalani. They were talking on the radio yesterday about how he motivates players with love. People want to play for a guy like that.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

So how do we overcome the weakness of Tanner Mangum while emphasizing the strengths.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I feel like a broken record. The passing game goes nowhere if the receivers play soft and can't get open like last year, or run wrong routes blah, blah, blah. I love Kalani's frankness and optimism but Tanner Mangum is not going to be the team's biggest weakness next year.