Lapuaho out for 2017

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lapuaho out for 2017

Post by Fido »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... thing.html

Lapuaho started the first two games at tackle in 2016 before being forced to sit the rest of the year with a reported leg injury. That same injury has not entirely cleared up, according to Empey.

"Lui won't be with us this fall," Empey said of the 6-foot-7, 335-pound lineman from Hunter High School. "There is a lot (for him) to be able to play, and you have to be pretty healthy...let's just see how he heals up and (how he) gets stronger and then see where we're at."

Empey hopes to have Lapuaho back for the 2018 season, but also wants him to enjoy a good quality of life.

"As a coach, and as someone who has a young man (his son and fellow Cougar James Empey) who plays football, I really want him to have a great life and to be pain-free," Empey said. "So I'm probably going to err on the side of being conservative with him and not put pressure on him to return physically until I know that doing that will have him be healthy for the rest of his life."

**He has already used a redshirt year, so it appears he will lose his junior year and have a chance to return for his senior year in 2018.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Lapuaho out for 2017

Post by SkystheLimit »

Fido wrote:He has already used a redshirt year, so it appears he will lose his junior year and have a chance to return for his senior year in 2018.
Don't you think he would qualify to get a medical redshirt?

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Lapuaho out for 2017

Post by Fido »

He was HS class of 2010, did a greyshirt, 2 years of mission, played in 2014 and 2015, got a medical shirt last year after only playing 2 games. I don't think you can get consecutive medical redshirts for the same injury, can you?