7 on 7s

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
sage
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

7 on 7s

Post by sage »

Hi guys and gals. My annual report on the 7 on 7s for this month. I ref FB as some may remember and this was a great chance to see some FB. I loved it. Last Sat at the Ute Shoot. (Kind of hard on my self esteem to spend so much time among them UTES) It was so fun to be a part of football again. The NCAA has made a requirement that schools may hold these types of events but must have all activities on school property, so the size of the turney was limited to just varsity, instead of the many many jv teams that show up. We only had 16 fields going, instead of the close to 40.

I didn't see any great QBs this year. Some were very good, but none stood out. I only got to see 7 or 8 teams, as my field had 5 the round robin matches, and 4 for the bracket play. Maple mountain won my pool. It was close though. They were tied with about 20 seconds to go, and all the other team had to do was throw the ball away to go to overtime, but instead he threw a pik, and lost.

But the highlight of the day came when I got to officiate the Orem HS squad. They are big. And most have pretty good hands. But they have that one guy that we all want... the Nacua kid. WOW! ! ! ! He made three plays that stood out, two of which were amazing.

The defender was trailing him very close, good coverage. The qb threw it up and it was just barely underthrown. Nacua leapt up, reached over the D's head and one handed the ball like fly paper. While still in the air he turned his body away from the defender and extended the ball towards the endzone (one handed) reaching out so the defender could not knock it out of his hands. It was impressive. Only to have him do it again a little later. Not quite in so impressive of a fassion the second time, but he did all that was necessary to score and keep the ball. Same kind of play.

The third play was towards my sideline, but the ball was thrown out of bounds. He charged the spot where it was to come down, acelerating away from the D, but as he dove and caught the ball, he was out-of-bounds. Incomplete. But he caught the ball. He did all he could.

I was impressed. This kid is a top talent. I don't know what he is rated, but my judgement he is definitely 5 star. I have never seen anyone this good in over 30 years of reffing FB.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: 7 on 7s

Post by hawkwing »

I've heard Nacua is very good and could be the best athlete in the family, but that he's not interested in BYU. Hopefully that changes.

trom2foot3
Recruit

Post by trom2foot3 »

hawkwing wrote:I've heard Nacua is very good and could be the best athlete in the family, but that he's not interested in BYU. Hopefully that changes.
I read somewhere Puka Nacua's top choice was BYU

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

trom2foot3 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I've heard Nacua is very good and could be the best athlete in the family, but that he's not interested in BYU. Hopefully that changes.
I sure hope so.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:
trom2foot3 wrote:
I sure hope so.
I think he said "one of my favorites" or "a favorite". He's training in the off-season with Ross Apo, which doesn't hurt.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
trom2foot3 wrote:
I sure hope so.
I think he said "one of my favorites" or "a favorite". He's training in the off-season with Ross Apo, which doesn't hurt.
Or does it?