This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:46 pm

I mean, who doesn't have depression and anxiety sometimes.

And, I think any high pressure position in life presents those emotions.

I can only imagine the terrible memes that await this young man. Oh hearken ye my people! Let us lift him in joyful noise!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5200
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by frdbtr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:21 am

There is a difference between being depressed and having depression. Tanner has a real problem because he is not only taking medication for his problem but see's a counselor for it. Real depression is a very difficult challenge and anyone who makes fun of Tanner for it is a classless loser. I hope he is able to overcome this challenge and have a normal and productive life. He always seems really happy in the public so it appears he is coping well.

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11857
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by hawkwing » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:41 am

I'm grateful for Tanner speaking up about his issues. I think anyone who is feeling depressed should know that there is help and support out there. I don't claim to know what the difference between real and fake depression is, but I know anyone who is hurting should be shown love and compassion.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by Mars » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I thought this was a given for all BYU fans.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

User avatar
byufan4ever
All-American
Posts: 1069
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by byufan4ever » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:20 pm

A link to an article would have been nice. I had no idea what you were talking about. Here you go:

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... e2c36.html

My wife suffers from severe depression at times. As someone who has never gone through depression myself it is very difficult to understand what they are going through. Even my mother-in-law who is a nurse (so I would think she would understand this type of thing) has had a very hard time accepting that her daughter has depression because she thinks that something is "wrong" with my wife or that it somehow looks "bad" on the family. It's like it has to be talked about in hushed tones behind closed doors.

One of the best things that helped my wife was accepting that she did have depression. Good for Tanner for speaking out. That is a very hard thing to do.
"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5200
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by frdbtr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm

hawkwing wrote:I'm grateful for Tanner speaking up about his issues. I think anyone who is feeling depressed should know that there is help and support out there. I don't claim to know what the difference between real and fake depression is, but I know anyone who is hurting should be shown love and compassion.
I wasn't talking about real and fake depression. People can be depressed and not be diagnosed with depression. There is a difference.

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11857
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by hawkwing » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:37 pm

frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I'm grateful for Tanner speaking up about his issues. I think anyone who is feeling depressed should know that there is help and support out there. I don't claim to know what the difference between real and fake depression is, but I know anyone who is hurting should be shown love and compassion.
I wasn't talking about real and fake depression. People can be depressed and not be diagnosed with depression. There is a difference.
That's fine, but I think someone who is depressed has a real problem. I'm not a medical professional and I don't know where that line of is how often a person can feel depressed before being diagnosed with depression but I hope anyone who is feeling depressed can know there is love and support for them out there even if it's their first and only time feel depressed. I hope I'm making myself clear, I'm not trying to argue.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5200
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by frdbtr » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:39 pm

hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I'm grateful for Tanner speaking up about his issues. I think anyone who is feeling depressed should know that there is help and support out there. I don't claim to know what the difference between real and fake depression is, but I know anyone who is hurting should be shown love and compassion.
I wasn't talking about real and fake depression. People can be depressed and not be diagnosed with depression. There is a difference.
That's fine, but I think someone who is depressed has a real problem. I'm not a medical professional and I don't know where that line of is how often a person can feel depressed before being diagnosed with depression but I hope anyone who is feeling depressed can know there is love and support for them out there even if it's their first and only time feel depressed. I hope I'm making myself clear, I'm not trying to argue.
I see what you are saying. The difference is, you can wake up in the morning and feel sad and not want to go to work, call in sick, spend the day relaxing and feel better and then go to work the next day. That is feeling depressed. When you don't want to get out of bed for a month, that is probably depression. There is a difference. I understand the love and understanding part as well because feeling depressed for a day or so can become long term if someone doesn't feel understanding from the people around them. Having said that, my whole point with my statement above is Tanner obviously has more than the "blues" if he is on medication for his depression.

jvquarterback
All-American
Posts: 1889
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by jvquarterback » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:55 pm

byufan4ever wrote: Even my mother-in-law who is a nurse (so I would think she would understand this type of thing) has had a very hard time accepting that her daughter has depression because she thinks that something is "wrong" with my wife or that it somehow looks "bad" on the family. It's like it has to be talked about in hushed tones behind closed doors.

One of the best things that helped my wife was accepting that she did have depression. Good for Tanner for speaking out. That is a very hard thing to do.
Older folks have a really difficult time with this. I deal with depressed folks all the time in my job and it can be a bear getting them to acknowledge what's going on. I once tried to talk to an older family member about what is clearly severe depression. She and her husband basically don't talk to me any more because I have somehow shamed them. The real shame is she could be so much happier.
If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

User avatar
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm

It's the shame aspect that gets me. Every organ in your body can have something going on, why does the world shame people when the brain has depression? I see it as an issue to cope with like any other that comes our way.

When we don't cope with it, and don't talk about it, and pretend people just shouldn't have it--omg that is terrible.

Post Reply