Taysom Hill

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Also if I could put Toby Christiansen's heart in Nick Kurtz body we would have had an NFL receiver last year.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8823
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:Then we agree. They were playing like garbage and THAT is why they were "hated." They weren't "hated" because of who was on the bench behind them.
I don't agree. I think a VERY large part of the discontent was because of who was on the bench. had Taysom only had koy detmer behind him on the bench, I don't think you'd have had so many "sky is falling put in mangum to save the season" fans running around with their hair on fire.

people weren't able to enjoy the season simply because all they could think about was how awesome everything would have been if mangum was playing. same thing with everyone think that byu is suddenly a basketball powerhouse "if only" Frankie J had played at BYU. It's crappy fanhood. And honestly, I think mangum comes in and plays just as "crappy" as Hill last season. and I'm a guy who had his socks blown off by mangum, definitely wasn't expecting him to be as good as he was in 2015.

My point in making this thread was that it's too bad fans weren't able to sit back a bit and enjoy Taysom's senior campaign (and a very difficult schedule) without fretting the whole year about Mangum. I enjoyed that season a lot. the most difficult thing about it was the fans at games and on forums calling for the white knight mangum to play.

Again, Hill may go down as the most under appreciated qb ever at BYU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 am

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Then we agree. They were playing like garbage and THAT is why they were "hated." They weren't "hated" because of who was on the bench behind them.
I don't agree. I think a VERY large part of the discontent was because of who was on the bench. had Taysom only had koy detmer behind him on the bench, I don't think you'd have had so many "sky is falling put in mangum to save the season" fans running around with their hair on fire.

people weren't able to enjoy the season simply because all they could think about was how awesome everything would have been if mangum was playing. same thing with everyone think that byu is suddenly a basketball powerhouse "if only" Frankie J had played at BYU. It's crappy fanhood. And honestly, I think mangum comes in and plays just as "crappy" as Hill last season. and I'm a guy who had his socks blown off by mangum, definitely wasn't expecting him to be as good as he was in 2015.

My point in making this thread was that it's too bad fans weren't able to sit back a bit and enjoy Taysom's senior campaign (and a very difficult schedule) without fretting the whole year about Mangum. I enjoyed that season a lot. the most difficult thing about it was the fans at games and on forums calling for the white knight mangum to play.

Again, Hill may go down as the most under appreciated qb ever at BYU.
Speaking of misrepresenting a point. My point about Frankie J was that the BYU coaches needed to figure out how to not let his kind of talent get swooped right out of their grasp by designer coaches. I guess that makes me a bad fan. :roll: We are in agreement on Taysom Hill though.

byufan4ever
All-American
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by byufan4ever » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am

Taysom was fully appreciated for 4 out of his 5 seasons at BYU. Don't act like some of us hate him and think he had a sucky BYU career. My wife's cousin name their son Taysom. We all bought in with that "Heisman leap" in the Texas game. He had some truly great moments that has not been seen at BYU. However, just because he provided some awesomeness for 4 seasons doesn't mean that I pretend that his final season was just as awesome. Go ahead and live in La La Land if it makes you feel better. But his last season was not pretty at times. Yes, the OL and the WRs contributed to the sucky passing game, but so did Hill.

Many sports fans really like to latch onto a coach or player that has some good (even great) moments and then excuse all future crappy performances because they are so great in their minds and they "deserve" their job or starting position purely based on past performance. You had two great seasons? Yes, please stay as long as you want no matter how many losses or interceptions! I don't care because I'm living in the past!

Again, for those of you who can't read well, I don't hate Taysom. I LOVED watching him. But he definitely had a down year last season (GASP!). That doesn't mean he was the most under appreciated QB ever at BYU in my books.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8823
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am

if he wasnt most under appreciated, who was?
Heisman talk
got opponents DC fired
close to or most wins against p5 teams
could have left this past year for a p5 team
new coaches I believed contributed to losses against wvu and utah. as well as hifo who most likely turned wrong way on pick six vs utah.


byu4ever, your response is exactly what I had a hard time with the last season. I'm not saying you literally "hate" Hill. But he too quickly became the scapegoat for a new system, new coaches, poor pass protection, poor WR play, soft offense (minus ironically Hill and Williams). I doubt that Tanner is the magic bullet for all that. I, unlike fans of your opinion, believe the coaches believed the same Re Taysom and weren't giving him some charity case farewell tour. I think that at some point they would have put in tanner if they thought he gave them the better chance to win. this also makes me think you might want to tamper expectations re: tanner. he had a good season frosh year, but he was LUCKY and some of those lucky plays could have been ugly endings. I'm hoping people appreciate him for his good qualities and aren't calling for his head after byu loses a couple close ones next year.

I also remember the defense, while much better than I anticipated, allow some long crucial drives late in games to surrender leads. can't ask them for shutout every night, and they had a killer game vs BSU, but it's a team game and Taysom was a smaller part of the problem than a lot of fans want to admit.

I'm fine with being critical. I think it's odd fans are critical, want to bench Taysom for some struggles and think that Tanner would have saved the day. I think TH kept us in games that could have been blowouts (utah, WVU) and likely made some mistakes that cost us some. just like 99% of qbs out there, including Tanner.

@byu4ever, if your wife's cousins son is named Taysom, you do have the final say in the matter. no arguing that one. ha ha ;)

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8823
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am

frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Then we agree. They were playing like garbage and THAT is why they were "hated." They weren't "hated" because of who was on the bench behind them.
I don't agree. I think a VERY large part of the discontent was because of who was on the bench. had Taysom only had koy detmer behind him on the bench, I don't think you'd have had so many "sky is falling put in mangum to save the season" fans running around with their hair on fire.

people weren't able to enjoy the season simply because all they could think about was how awesome everything would have been if mangum was playing. same thing with everyone think that byu is suddenly a basketball powerhouse "if only" Frankie J had played at BYU. It's crappy fanhood. And honestly, I think mangum comes in and plays just as "crappy" as Hill last season. and I'm a guy who had his socks blown off by mangum, definitely wasn't expecting him to be as good as he was in 2015.

My point in making this thread was that it's too bad fans weren't able to sit back a bit and enjoy Taysom's senior campaign (and a very difficult schedule) without fretting the whole year about Mangum. I enjoyed that season a lot. the most difficult thing about it was the fans at games and on forums calling for the white knight mangum to play.

Again, Hill may go down as the most under appreciated qb ever at BYU.
Speaking of misrepresenting a point. My point about Frankie J was that the BYU coaches needed to figure out how to not let his kind of talent get swooped right out of their grasp by designer coaches. I guess that makes me a bad fan. :roll: We are in agreement on Taysom Hill though.
ha ha. sorry frdbtr. I didn't even see who made those comments. definitely wasn't pointing a finger your way! Just thought it was funny so many people thought BYU basketball would be a contender with him. would he have helped? probably. I'd love to have gotten him as well. I think it might be a little unrealistic to get the Jabari and FJs of the world due to what I see as a development problem at BYU though.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5451
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by Gunk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 pm

I wasn't for Hill coming back, but it is was it is. It was hard watching him play this last year. He couldn't make a throw (WRs and OL certainly didn't help) and he lost a step. What is Hill known for? Running.

The iconic play of Hill's career is him running. He gave DC fits not because of his arm, but because of his legs. Most of his career the OL sucked and the WRs weren't much better, but he made plays, not with his arm but his legs. He didn't have his legs last season. The deficiencies at OL and WR made Hill almost unwatchable.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5099
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:40 am

I disagree completely that Taysom had lost a step last year, and his pro day results confirm that. It was said on BYU sports nation that Taysom had not been training for Pro day because he had been rehabbing his elbow instead and he still ran a 4.44 40. According to David Nixon, most guys practice their technique for weeks in order to get the best time and he hadn't practiced at all, just showed up and did it. Taysom had not lost a step. I've said this before and I feel like a Broken record but Taysom was not the problem with the offense last year. He wasn't perfect but he wasn't the problem. In fact, I believe that Taysom was chosen to be the starter specifically to bridge the gap between Ty's first year where we simply didn't have the proper personnel to run his offense and when they could recruit guys who can run it. Taysom Masked a bunch of problems last year with his playmaking ability and we stayed in games where we would have normally been blown out and won games we would have lost.

User avatar
Cougarfan87
All-American
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by Cougarfan87 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:20 am

frdbtr wrote:I disagree completely that Taysom had lost a step last year, and his pro day results confirm that. It was said on BYU sports nation that Taysom had not been training for Pro day because he had been rehabbing his elbow instead and he still ran a 4.44 40. According to David Nixon, most guys practice their technique for weeks in order to get the best time and he hadn't practiced at all, just showed up and did it. Taysom had not lost a step. I've said this before and I feel like a Broken record but Taysom was not the problem with the offense last year. He wasn't perfect but he wasn't the problem. In fact, I believe that Taysom was chosen to be the starter specifically to bridge the gap between Ty's first year where we simply didn't have the proper personnel to run his offense and when they could recruit guys who can run it. Taysom Masked a bunch of problems last year with his playmaking ability and we stayed in games where we would have normally been blown out and won games we would have lost.
I concur here. I don't think Taysom was the problem. No player plays perfectly, so of course, if you want to look for mistakes you can find them. But Taysom was what we needed...the best equipped to handle poor Oline play. It's too bad we haven't had a decent Oline or good WR play with some of these defenses the past few years. We could have had some pretty special seasons...gone from good to great. I believe that is what Ty and Kalani are building. Mangum will probably do pretty well this season if Bushman lives up to the hype and the Oline improves. Then I would expect a great year the year after. I believe. :crazy:
Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 8771
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by Mars » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Underappreciated?

Brad Sorensen maybe? Walk-on at QB, was 4th-string behind Heaps and Nelson. Transferred to SUU, drafted into the NFL, made teams from 2013-2016.

James Lark? Christian Stewart?
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply