QB Joe Critchlow : A closer look

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Joe Critchlow : A closer look

Post by byufan4ever »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... o-BYU.html

A good long article about Joe Critchlow and his path to BYU. He's a 6'4 210 pound QB that originally signed with SUU and went on a mission straight out of high school and will be home in June. He's a pro-style QB. Is he our next best prospect after Mangum?
Critchlow was a three-year starter at Franklin High, which competes in the biggest, and most competitive classification in Tennessee. He set school records for career completions and attempts (415 of 683), passing yards (5,703), touchdowns (68) and QB rating (108.5). He was named District Offensive Player of the Year for the Rebels.
After Critchlow’s sophomore season, schools like Georgia, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Wake Forest, Virginia and Western Kentucky started showing interest.

Some LDS players don’t reveal their plans of serving a mission, or don't decide if they will serve, until after they go through the recruiting process. But Critchlow was candid and direct. He told schools he would be serving right out of high school.

As football programs backed away from Joe, his three-star recruiting rating dropped after his junior season to a two-star rating, since those ratings are often related to the number of offers.
Joe was named to The Opening 2014-15 QB Watch List and finished in the top 5 at two regional Elite 11 competitions. At one point, he was rated the No. 1 pro-style quarterback in Mid-State and the No. 2 pro-style QB in Tennessee.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Re: QB Joe Critchlow : A closer look

Post by snoscythe »

Kody Wilstead is the heir-apparent after Mangum. Critchlow will get a shot and Wilstead will need to win it, but Wilstead is the guy to beat.

Critchlow was only extended offers from SUU, Mercer, Tennessee Martin, and UAB out of high school. He was not given a star ranking. BYU did not offer him prior to his mission. It's unsurprising that he would "switch" to BYU after an offer as that was his first FBS offer.

Wilstead, on the other hand, had offers from Louisville, SDSU, BYU and others. He was a 3-star recruit and the top pro-style QB in Utah.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

snoscythe wrote:Kody Wilstead is the heir-apparent after Mangum. Critchlow will get a shot and Wilstead will need to win it, but Wilstead is the guy to beat.

Critchlow was only extended offers from SUU, Mercer, Tennessee Martin, and UAB out of high school. He was not given a star ranking. BYU did not offer him prior to his mission. It's unsurprising that he would "switch" to BYU after an offer as that was his first FBS offer.

Wilstead, on the other hand, had offers from Louisville, SDSU, BYU and others. He was a 3-star recruit and the top pro-style QB in Utah.
I believe you but the article stated that he was a 3 star recruit with interest from the SEC and ACC and his rating dropped when he was firm about serving a mission first so the big schools never came with formal offers. At least that's his family's story. Critchlow should at least provide some good competition for Wilstead.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

....except Wilstead said the same things about mission first, but still got D-IA offers. Critchlow's only SEC interest was from Vanderbilt, and they were the school that asked him not to go on a mission, because otherwise he didn't fit into their timeline.

"Getting interest" means many things--it can be a form letter from a recruiting coordinator, it can be an invite to a camp or to take an unofficial visit, or to walk-on even. A kid in our ward, not going on a mission, "got interest" from some PAC12 schools who sent him letters, UofA even invited him down on an unofficial visit. But he never got anything else and is now headed to Southern Virginia....his only offer of any sort. He had all sorts of PAC12 "getting interest" but it didn't mean bupkis.

The article is a fluff piece--trying to get find interest on signing day.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Had an offer to SUU?! Considering they've put more guys in the NFL at QB than BYU has the last decade I'll take it!

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

snoscythe wrote:....except Wilstead said the same things about mission first, but still got D-IA offers. Critchlow's only SEC interest was from Vanderbilt, and they were the school that asked him not to go on a mission, because otherwise he didn't fit into their timeline.

"Getting interest" means many things--it can be a form letter from a recruiting coordinator, it can be an invite to a camp or to take an unofficial visit, or to walk-on even. A kid in our ward, not going on a mission, "got interest" from some PAC12 schools who sent him letters, UofA even invited him down on an unofficial visit. But he never got anything else and is now headed to Southern Virginia....his only offer of any sort. He had all sorts of PAC12 "getting interest" but it didn't mean bupkis.

The article is a fluff piece--trying to get find interest on signing day.
Ok, I'll play your game.

Wilstead is a 3 star guy who only secured offers from BYU, Louisville, San Diego State, and Southern Utah in spite of playing in LDS-friendly Utah. Critchlow(3 star pocket passer) had interest from ACC and SEC schools as a sophomore--but they went for other recruits after he was up front about serving a mission first. He was interested in BYU but they already had Mangum returning from a mission, and commits from Wilstead (3-star pocket passer), and Beau Hoge (3-star pocket passer with offers from Miami of Ohio and Ohio of the MAC). There is plenty to poo-poo on if that is your thing.

I'm not sure what a kid in your ward who got a few letters and an invite to unofficially visit one school out west--who didn't have the obstacle of a mission first--and is now playing DIII ball at Southern Virginia has to do with a guy who it sounds like would have had an offer from Vanderbilt if he backed off his mission plans.

How about we support our commits and give them a chance to come in and compete before we start bashing on them and calling any information that comes up a "fluff piece"? Was Wilstead in your ward or something?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm just saying that in recruiting I don't put any stock in hype articles, family opinion/excuses, or "getting interest" reports. They're all dreck at this point.

I'm not poo-pooing on Critchlow--I'm just giving trying to temper expectations based on those elements.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Critchlow's high school neighbored mine. Franklin High always had a good program. They're a huge public school about 20 minutes south of Nashville. We'll see about spring ball and what it brings. I do think our QB talent just leveled up and the future is bright.