Spring Practice

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Spring Practice

Post by scott715 »

So Spring can not get here soon enough.

http://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/02/10/b ... -practice/
Three players to watch during spring ball. A QB, RB and WR.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Spring Practice

Post by SpiffCoug »

I want to watch the OL. Then the DL. Then I'll come back to the OL and return to the DL again. Then I'll finish by watching the OL and the DL.

With Tanner Mangum, I'm not concerned about QB. I'm not concerned about WR. I'm not concerned about RB. I think we have enough talent to be good enough at those last two positions.

But if we can't control the line of scrimmage, our RBs won't have anywhere to run. If we can't pass block, our WRs won't have enough time to get into routes for Tanner to find them. It all starts up front.

Same on defense. I'm sold on our LBs. They're all studs across the board. I'm even excited by our DBs, although we did lose Nacua. But if our DL can't stop the run or get pressure we'll be thrashed all day.

If the OL can't block, the defense comes back onto the field too quickly. If we can't pressure the QB, our offense won't see the field enough.

OL and DL.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

It's all about the receivers and the Oline. The oline improved last year marginally in run blocking. I wasn't as impressed with their pass blocking. The receivers sucked last year and the best of the crappy receivers graduated and I don't see anyone that is going to improve them this year. I hope someone who was on the practice squad or a mission makes a difference because I am sick of losing to utah but IMO I don't see anyone who will be able to beat utah's press coverage.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

The receivers and O line have my interest for the spring.

I first found the light of BYU football when I moved to Utah in the summer of 2006. The fall football season beheld my bewilderment and wonder. I beheld an incredible passing game as well as its sacred protection.

Let us link hands brethren! Raise thy voice this offseason to an effective pass attack! May we rejoice in awe of the mighty pocket protection! May we tremble before the might of effective run AND pass blocking! May all line blocking assignments be met heretofore with great haste! And may the feet of thine receivers be swift! Oh blessed Cosmo, leave us not in this our hour of need!

And yea, thy line shall indeed hold true. For thus it is written, thy foe to the north shall tremble beneath thee.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

SpiffCoug wrote:I want to watch the OL. Then the DL. Then I'll come back to the OL and return to the DL again. Then I'll finish by watching the OL and the DL.

With Tanner Mangum, I'm not concerned about QB. I'm not concerned about WR. I'm not concerned about RB. I think we have enough talent to be good enough at those last two positions.

But if we can't control the line of scrimmage, our RBs won't have anywhere to run. If we can't pass block, our WRs won't have enough time to get into routes for Tanner to find them. It all starts up front.

Same on defense. I'm sold on our LBs. They're all studs across the board. I'm even excited by our DBs, although we did lose Nacua. But if our DL can't stop the run or get pressure we'll be thrashed all day.

If the OL can't block, the defense comes back onto the field too quickly. If we can't pressure the QB, our offense won't see the field enough.

OL and DL.
Excellent points. The 2017 class of signed recruits is heavily dominated by very promising linemen. Help is on the way. It's all good. 8)

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Spring camp starts Monday, February 27.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Oh blessed day! May this offseason be filled with prosperous growth of strength! And let thy servant Tanner time routes to utmost perfection with these thine receivers. May they practice each route even seven times seven.Yea, may our brethren of the line wax ever stronger.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Official request for a podcast at the cave upon completion of spring practice.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »