BYU announces football games with San Diego State and McNeese State

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU announces football games with San Diego State and McNeese State

Post by YNot »

Fido wrote:BYU getting 2:1s or 3:1s from Utah State on a regular basis until just recently is not the case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYU–Utah_ ... ll_rivalry
1986-1988 in Provo, 1989 in Logan
1990-1992 in Provo, 1993 in Logan

That is two back-to-back 3-for-1 contracts.

That was apparently followed by a 2-for-2 contract from 1994 to 1999, but with a year off in between the games in Provo and Logan. (1995 and 1998)

That was followed by a 2-for-1 contract. 2000-2001 in Provo, 2002 in Logan.

That was followed by no game at all for the next 3 seasons.

That was then followed by a 3-for 2 series. 2006, 2009, and 2011 in Provo, 2008 and 2010 in Logan, with no game in 2007.

It wasn't until BYU's independence that BYU agreed to go back to the home-home with Utah State. I believe that Tom Holmoe over-valued the BYU-USU game and the desire to play it in November.

I think most BYU fans would be totally fine to play USU only occasionally. If we're going to play home-away series with MWC schools, I'd much rather see SDSU, Air Force, CSU, and Hawaii than an annual game with USU.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Fido wrote:- BYU playing Utah State in Ogden hasn't happened in nearly 90 years--and with modern transportation there is no legitimate reason (like to play in an NFL stadium, or at some special event of a game with big media attention) to start that up again.
I'll take "Poor Troll Attempts" for 100, Alex. (referring to my own original post)

The common inside joke is to refer to Ogden as the site of USU, rather than Logan. Ie, the average BYU fan doesn't know the difference between Logan and Ogden or where USU is actually situated.
Last edited by YNot on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Fido wrote:- Utah State (rightfully so) has no desire to give up home games and has said home/home or nothing. What motivation would they have to consent to being treated like that? And why would BYU want to earn the reputation as a school who treats other in-state schools like that when their schedule could fully accommodate a home/home series? If BYU goes that route then I think fans lose the ability to be upset with any other school giving BYU a 2-for-1 or 1-done without hypocrisy. A better move would be to play the home-home series every couple years rather than as an annual event if the games aren't "good enough".
BYU needs to revise its scheduling philosophy to align more with the Big-time programs. That means more G5's in Provo for one-and-done or 2-for-1.

USU is the perfect place to start, because we have prior history of imbalanced contracts over the last 25 years.

I agree that BYU can stop the 2-for-1 games at P5 schools. We now have sufficient games in most future seasons to add balanced series or neutral-site games against P5 opponents.

Most announced P5 series scheduled in the last couple of years match this philosophy:

Utah
Baylor
Minnesota
Virginia - This is actually one game in BYU's favor.
Mississippi St.
Michigan St.

I don't mind the WVU game in Maryland or LSU game in Houston, even if not truly "neutral" by geography.

I actually don't mind the imbalanced series with Stanford and USC - even though these were scheduled years ago - because it gets the team in California against true PAC Power opponents over Thanksgiving weekend.