Alabama wins electoral college national championship

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Alabama wins electoral college national championship

Post by BoiseBYU »

Isola wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Rules = Trump wins.
Rules = Clemson wins.

So, declaring a champion because of rules is satirized by pretending you ignored the rules to get a dumb result? Useful idiots.
Are you calling me an idiot for posting the above link?
I wasn't criticizing you either. There are funny comparisons to make between sports and the popular vote, but it is the other side that should be making them.

There can be a discussion about how to select winners for future elections or sporting events, but you can't go back and change the outcome of past competitions based on new rules. That would be like determining new winners for NBA games prior to 1979 based on the three point shot that became a rule in 1979. If the rule had been in affect for those games teams probably would have taken more shots from that range, and defended those shots more diligently. If presidential elections were determined by a national popular vote Trump probably would have campaigned differently and people may have voted differently.

I also reject the idea that the popular vote is the "fairest" way to determine the election. The US is one of the few countries where virtually all sports determine a champion by a playoff, and not simply season long performance. Even NASCAR has a playoff now. In European soccer leagues the champion is the team with the most points at the regular season, but the popular vote argument could theoretically take issue with that too because you could say that it should be the team with the best goal differential rather than points.

Imagine Warriors claiming they are more deserving of last year's NBA title because they won the most games, but even that isn't the equivalent of the popular vote, but instead more like who won more states. The popular vote would be like claiming Golden State should have gotten last year's title because they scored the most points all year (I don't know if they did or not). Not only was that not the agreed upon terms for determining the champ, but I doubt you could find too many people trying to make the case that we should use that to determine a champ. Doing that would increase the importance of each basket (vote), but diminish the importance of each game (state).
Thanks. No offense taken and your points well made. I'm thinking more and more that instead of voting at all we just go to trial by combat. Short and sweet and we could probably sell tickets and popcorn!