2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby Ddawg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 pm

snoscythe wrote:Let's lay off of Holmoe until the 49ers are done re-staffing. Don't want to give him any added incentive to take the GM or President job there.


If he's still altered from his epileptic seizure he just might take the GM spot with the 49ers. A once fine organization is now a squalid sinking ship. Although, if Holmoe did go to the 49ers he could do America a great service and trade Kaepernick to a Canadian team. Suhweeet!
;)



User avatar
redneckjedi
All-American
Posts: 1193
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:12 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Lehi, UT
Contact:

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby redneckjedi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't know what kind of sorcery people want Holmoe to pull to get these P5 teams to schedule an OOC trap game in the middle of conference play instead of in September, but I'd like to hear it. What's the pitch? How do you provide enough incentive for them to do that?


If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?

User avatar
snoscythe
Over-Achiever
Posts: 7475
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby snoscythe » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 pm

redneckjedi wrote:I don't know what kind of sorcery people want Holmoe to pull to get these P5 teams to schedule an OOC trap game in the middle of conference play instead of in September, but I'd like to hear it. What's the pitch? How do you provide enough incentive for them to do that?


Image



Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby Ddawg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 pm

redneckjedi wrote:I don't know what kind of sorcery people want Holmoe to pull to get these P5 teams to schedule an OOC trap game in the middle of conference play instead of in September, but I'd like to hear it. What's the pitch? How do you provide enough incentive for them to do that?


Holmoe must learn the fine art of bribery. It's how the world turns. The Coug cheerleaders and Cosmo could sell cookies to raise seed money for the "P5 Bribery Fund."



It's illegal ....... but it works. 8)



bamf3000
BLUEshirt
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby bamf3000 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:07 pm

I dont think he needs to book them all later in the season for P5 opponents, but we couldnt buffer in some slightly worse teams in between those 3 games? I mean...even Portland St between the Utah and Wisconsin would give our guys a little bit of a breather



User avatar
Fido
All-American
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby Fido » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 am

bamf3000 wrote:I dont think he needs to book them all later in the season for P5 opponents, but we couldnt buffer in some slightly worse teams in between those 3 games? I mean...even Portland St between the Utah and Wisconsin would give our guys a little bit of a breather

I'd still rather play the FCS team as the opener to warm up for those P5 games.



jvquarterback
All-American
Posts: 1845
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby jvquarterback » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Fido wrote:
bamf3000 wrote:I dont think he needs to book them all later in the season for P5 opponents, but we couldnt buffer in some slightly worse teams in between those 3 games? I mean...even Portland St between the Utah and Wisconsin would give our guys a little bit of a breather

I'd still rather play the FCS team as the opener to warm up for those P5 games.


Here's how I would like the first four weeks to have gone.

Week 0 LSU
Week 1 Portland St
Week 2 Utah
Week 3 Wisconsin

Playing LSU week 0 would have made it the most watched game of the year without any competition. And I don't think BYU's chanceds of winning would have changed much whether it was week 0 or week 1. The possibility of winning week 2 would be much better after playing Portland rather than traveling back from Houston after a game with LSU.


If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

User avatar
snoscythe
Over-Achiever
Posts: 7475
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby snoscythe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 pm

jvquarterback wrote:
Fido wrote:
bamf3000 wrote:I dont think he needs to book them all later in the season for P5 opponents, but we couldnt buffer in some slightly worse teams in between those 3 games? I mean...even Portland St between the Utah and Wisconsin would give our guys a little bit of a breather

I'd still rather play the FCS team as the opener to warm up for those P5 games.


Here's how I would like the first four weeks to have gone.

Week 0 LSU
Week 1 Portland St
Week 2 Utah
Week 3 Wisconsin

Playing LSU week 0 would have made it the most watched game of the year without any competition. And I don't think BYU's chanceds of winning would have changed much whether it was week 0 or week 1. The possibility of winning week 2 would be much better after playing Portland rather than traveling back from Houston after a game with LSU.


Before you guys get too crazy, remember that to play a regular season game in "Week 0", or the last weekend of August, you either need to play in the Kickoff Classic, play against an FCS team, or get the NCAA to sanction and give you a waiver to play an FBS team, which they rarely do. So, to play LSU, you'd have to go grovel to the NCAA for something they only do once or twice every few years.

BYU only gets to play in Week 0 because it's against FCS Portland State.



jvquarterback
All-American
Posts: 1845
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby jvquarterback » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 pm

The way I understand it new Hawaii rule says they can play anyone they want at home week 0. Not sure if BYU was the designated home team in Houston or not but they could have fixed that part.


If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams

User avatar
Fido
All-American
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2017 BYU Cougars Football Schedule

Postby Fido » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:37 pm

BYU can play week 0 because of the Hawaii exception. They play at Hawaii in 2017 so they are allowed to schedule a 13th game (usually a home game to compensate for travel to Hawaii) and/or play a game in week 0 (to ensure they still get a reasonable bye week in their schedule).

The only reason we are facing LSU in week 1 is because we agreed to meet them in the Advocare Texas Kickoff in NRG Stadium in Houston. I doubt BYU had any ability to move that date 1) because they don't have that kind of influence over this event and 2) the venue is home of the Houston Texans and mid-August they begin their NFL pre-season games.




Return to “BYU Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest