2016 Poinsettia Bowl

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016 Poinsettia Bowl

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Our passing game still sucks. If we don't get our receivers fixed in the off season, next year will be a very long year.
Reinforces the reasons why Taysom was never benched. There was more wrong with the offense this year than QB play.
I agree, it has been my position all year. If Tanner was the fix to the problem, he would have played. We need better Oline play and receiver play. If these problems don't get fixed we are going to lose a lot of games next year.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Yep.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Check out this tweet by Douchebag Extraordinaire. What a tool Drew is. No wonder the pos writes for the Tribune. Here's hoping one of his crucial organs fails in the new year.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Yeah, that's a cheap shot.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote:We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.
We did win the game and I'm happy about that. My thoughts were based on what needs to happen next year when we don't have an NFL running back running around in the other teams secondary, and a QB who has the ability to dominate games with his legs. Next year we want to win games on Tanner Mangum's arm and without receivers who can catch the ball or an Oline who can sustain blocks in the passing game, we are going to struggle to win games.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

frdbtr wrote:
BoiseBYU wrote:We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.
We did win the game and I'm happy about that. My thoughts were based on what needs to happen next year when we don't have an NFL running back running around in the other teams secondary, and a QB who has the ability to dominate games with his legs. Next year we want to win games on Tanner Mangum's arm and without receivers who can catch the ball or an Oline who can sustain blocks in the passing game, we are going to struggle to win games.
Oh, we'll see. I expect the usual above average team that will go to an "also ran" bowl game.

I will say that I was disappointed in Tanner Mangum. He made some foolish decisions and I understand that he didn't play that much this season, but that's just an excuse that can be used to explain the lack of better timing with receivers, but not for his 1) interception (what the heck went through his mind to send up a floater like that); 2) his "pinball bumper" TD pass; and 3) taking a large sack on the play late in the game.

While Squally might not exactly equal Jamall, I think we'll be okay. I can't image getting worse with the receiving corp as NO ONE stood out this season period. That's an unusual experience at BYU. I don't perceive the OL will be worse than this year either.

Next season our tough games will be: Utah, Boise St, Wisconsin, Mississippi St and LSU, but I do like seeing the likes of those schools on our schedule.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Tanner also made some good decisions. He went through several reads before tucking and diving into the end zone for the opening TD.

Instead of taking a sack in the 2nd quarter, he threw the ball at Balderee's back.

It did feel like a few times this season (Arizona, Wyoming and even Boise to an extent), Detmer thought the game was over and they had a firm grip on it and he went uber-conservative in play calling.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think taking that sack in the 4th quarter was one of the smartest decisions Mangum made all game. What else would you have him do in that situation with that play call? Run out of bounds and stop the clock? Throw it away and stop the clock? Try to force a throw with no open receiver and risk a pick within field goal range? Or take the sack and force Wyoming to use their last timeout?

Yeah, sacks are bad, but given the play call and coverage, it was the best choice he could have made.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote:I think taking that sack in the 4th quarter was one of the smartest decisions Mangum made all game. What else would you have him do in that situation with that play call? Run out of bounds and stop the clock? Throw it away and stop the clock? Try to force a throw with no open receiver and risk a pick within field goal range? Or take the sack and force Wyoming to use their last timeout?

Yeah, sacks are bad, but given the play call and coverage, it was the best choice he could have made.
I think taking the sack was the right decision and exactly what Detmer wanted him to do in that situation. I agree with the announcers that the play call was subpar. Don't run a play with the potential to lose so many yards.
Last edited by Jarhead on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.