Poinsettia Bowl Game - Wyoming

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Poinsettia Bowl Game - Wyoming

Post by scott715 »

The game is just over a week away.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Poinsettia Bowl Game - Wyoming

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/12/1 ... s-troubles

High scoring game? I don't see their offense scoring more than Toledo or UWV did.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

I've said this already, I'm not intending to disrespect Wyoming, but this is a tough draw for a ball game. They're going to be VERY up for this game because it's their first crack at us since we left the MWC and it's obvious that many Poke fans think we were being arrogant in going independent.

They have a decent team according to the stats above (Sagarin ranking #69). Very similar on paper to UCLA, MSU and Michigan St. BUT...there isn't much gained in beating them. Wyoming just does not have the rep. We beat Arizona this season, but they were definitely on a down year, but it's Arizona nonetheless. They have a rep. They are dominant in BB and so everyone knows them and respects them.

It's like Appalachian State is in a bowl game this year as they won the Sun Belt Conference. They were 9-3 and lost by a touchdown to Tennessee after leading most of that game. Really good team (ranked #50 in Sagarin), but beating them gives the winner very little swagger. You lose to these types of teams and the down side is way more than the upside of beating them. Puketah is playing Indiana (Sagarin #61) who didn't beat any team with a winning record this season, but you beat them and you beat a B1G team--same bounce we got from beating Michigan St in a down year.

It's sad that this concept is part of the college football world, but appearance means a lot when just a good game does not. Wyoming is a very formidable foe, but beating SDSU would have "sounded" better.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

If the Pokes are going to beat BYU, they will have to score 45 points to do it. And that's going to be tough against BYU's defense. Then of course, what if the Cougar D goes on vacation like they did against Toledo? Shoot-out?

I doubt that scenario. The O is going to do its thing against the weak WY defense. A combination of Jamaal, Squally, and that Hall kid, if he's needed, will run all over them. Also, the Cougar D should show up admirably in this game. Sitake says it's supposed to be for fun, but I think they will want to win. Winning is fun.

BYU: 41
WY: 24

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

BOID wrote:If the Pokes are going to beat BYU, they will have to score 45 points to do it. And that's going to be tough against BYU's defense. Then of course, what if the Cougar D goes on vacation like they did against Toledo? Shoot-out?

I doubt that scenario. The O is going to do its thing against the weak WY defense. A combination of Jamaal, Squally, and that Hall kid, if he's needed, will run all over them. Also, the Cougar D should show up admirably in this game. Sitake says it's supposed to be for fun, but I think they will want to win. Winning is fun.

BYU: 41
WY: 24
I think that is how he keeps the team loose. He take the pressure off of them with his mantra that playing football is fun, so go out there and have fun. And it is true. Being successful on the football field is loads of fun. What I have noticed about BYU this year is that Sitake is a great motivator. It never appeared to me, though I could be wrong, that the football team came out flat. They always seemed to be having fun on and off the field.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Blow them out and squash the idea of going back to the MWC.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »