Former Oregon commit OL John Vaka commits to BYU

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Former Oregon commit OL John Vaka commits to BYU

Post by scott715 »

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Gunk wrote:Remember that time we got that QB that was 4 stars and then they couldn't complete a pass and so they left...

I'll take the 3 star recruits that are out to prove a point.
I remember a 5* QB that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and was much worse than our 2* guy so he left, but that doesn't mean I'll not hope to get another 5* QB down the line.

Ultimately it doesn't matter how many stars you come in with, it only matters how you perform once you're here, but that doesn't mean you can't hope for recruiting classes filled with 4 and 5* guys.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I don't have an issue with hoping for 4* or 5* guys. I only had an issue with labeling Vaka "another so-so pickup" (dissing John Vaka) and saying "at least it's not a Weber State guy this time" (dissing A.J. Lolohea).

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Fido wrote:I don't have an issue with hoping for 4* or 5* guys. I only had an issue with labeling Vaka "another so-so pickup" (dissing John Vaka) and saying "at least it's not a Weber State guy this time" (dissing A.J. Lolohea).
Fair point and a disservice by me to call them that.

I apologize.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The OL should be better next year. With Vaka, Ului L back from injury and Kieffer Longson.

trom2foot3
Recruit

Post by trom2foot3 »

I also feel that Shoaf should be pretty good next year too

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

scott715 wrote:The OL should be better next year. With Vaka, Ului L back from injury and Kieffer Longson.
I'll believe it when I see it. This kind of statement has been happening for years and our offensive line sucks year after year ever since Grimes left.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote:
scott715 wrote:The OL should be better next year. With Vaka, Ului L back from injury and Kieffer Longson.
I'll believe it when I see it. This kind of statement has been happening for years and our offensive line sucks year after year ever since Grimes left.
I think we'll have better luck now that we have an OC that has a clue and isn't making them run wind sprints on an endless loop, giving them all high ankle sprains (aka shin splints) so that we can run a gimmicky offense. I never understood why we got huge guys and tried to slim them down. Just get tight ends and make them fatter, like air Force does.

With an OC with a plan and a good one at that, they'll be great in 2-3 more years, once recruits, JC's and guys back from missions fill in.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote:
I think we'll have better luck now that we have an OC that has a clue and isn't making them run wind sprints on an endless loop, giving them all high ankle sprains (aka shin splints) so that we can run a gimmicky offense. I never understood why we got huge guys and tried to slim them down with hurry up garbage gameplan. Just get tight ends and make them fatter, like air Force does.

With an OC with a plan and a good one at that, they'll be great in 2-3 more years, once recruits, JC's and guys back from missions fill in.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I think we'll have better luck now that we have an OC that has a clue and isn't making them run wind sprints on an endless loop, giving them all high ankle sprains (aka shin splints) so that we can run a gimmicky offense. I never understood why we got huge guys and tried to slim them down. Just get tight ends and make them fatter, like air Force does.

Our offensive line problems weren't Anae's fault since in 2005-2008 with Anae as Ocoordinator, they performed well. After Grimes left, it has been all downhill. Every off season, we hear how the offensive line is going to be better next year and then the next year comes around and our QB is running for his life the second he catches the shotgun snap.