Was Taysom Hill the reason we didn't have a 100 yard receiver this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Was Taysom Hill the reason we didn't have a 100 yard receiver this year?

Post by SenorCougar »

frdbtr wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:So his draft report was pretty much everything me and the other "haters" were saying all season....

:whistle:
And Tanner just dazzled me in the bowl game. Ty said that Tanner could not even recognize the simple BASIC coverages... :whistle:
The problem all year was not the QB, it was the receivers and the offensive lines pass blocking. Everyone can blame the wet ball but the ball bounced off of the hands of receivers all year and the bowl game was no different. I keep harping on this but if we don't have a MAJOR improvement with our receivers and pass blocking, BYU is going to really struggle this year without the run threat that Taysom offered the offense.
Fully agree. Well said.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

SenorCougar wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:So his draft report was pretty much everything me and the other "haters" were saying all season....

And Tanner just dazzled me in the bowl game. Ty said that Tanner could not even recognize the simple BASIC coverages... :whistle:
The problem all year was not the QB, it was the receivers and the offensive lines pass blocking. Everyone can blame the wet ball but the ball bounced off of the hands of receivers all year and the bowl game was no different. I keep harping on this but if we don't have a MAJOR improvement with our receivers and pass blocking, BYU is going to really struggle this year without the run threat that Taysom offered the offense.
Fully agree. Well said.
The problem wasn't *only* the quarterback. T HIll definitely was *a* problem last year.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Brayden Green wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:

Fully agree. Well said.
The problem wasn't *only* the quarterback. T HIll definitely was *a* problem last year.
Just not as big-a-problem as you make him out to be. Just like Tanner wasn't the *only* problem in the bowl game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

We could have had Payton Manning in his prime last year and the receivers would still have had balls bouncing off their hands. We would have still had marshmallows that were easy to throw off their routes. We would still have had receivers running the wrong way on routes. It wouldn't have mattered. Taysom Hill was far from perfect but the receivers absolutely sucked last year. Go back and watch some of BYU's replay games from previous years (especially 1996) and tell me that I am not right on this.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:Go back and watch some of BYU's replay games from previous years (especially 1996) and tell me that I am not right on this.
Don't have to go back that far, only need to go back as far as 2015 with Mangum. He had matthews, Houk, blackmon and Mitch Jeurgens making plays. This year was very different.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Go back and watch some of BYU's replay games from previous years (especially 1996) and tell me that I am not right on this.
Don't have to go back that far, only need to go back as far as 2015 with Mangum. He had matthews, Houk, blackmon and Mitch Jeurgens making plays. This year was very different.
The sad thing is, none of those guys had even a sliver as much toughness as Austin Collie had, and the entire corps of 96 receivers were all in the mold of Collie (if not tougher). That is why I keep referring to them when I talk about Receiver toughness.