Was Taysom Hill the reason we didn't have a 100 yard receiver this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Was Taysom Hill the reason we didn't have a 100 yard receiver this year?

Post by frdbtr »

Mingjai wrote:
frdbtr wrote:the receivers have to get open and catch the ball for our passing game to improve.
I guess we'll get to test the theories that (1) Tanner makes better reads, (1) Tanner throws a more accurate ball, and (3) Tanner's more accurate throws are more catchable.

With luck, the bowl game will provide ample observations of the offense operating under the direction of a different QB such that we can apportion responsibility for this year's lack of passing productivity across the constituent elements of QB, receivers, offensive coordinator, QB coach, and receivers coach. Having reached a consensus on distribution of responsibility, we will then be better positioned not only to identify possible solutions but also to debate these solutions, allowing this competition of ideas to determine which of these potential solutions is best. Should these solutions be found satisfactory by board members, we will then respectfully submit to the relevant parties these fully-developed solutions along with a plea for implementation into future game plans. Maybe then we will all feel that we have done our part as stakeholders to advance this glorious enterprise called BYU football and can finally be at peace.

At least until letter of intent day and spring football... isn't fandom great!
Frankly I expect Tanner to throw for more yards and have a better per than Taysom would have in this game but my theory that Taysom would have been a better throwing QB this year if the receiver play was better still applies. I watch a lot of college football and our receivers look worse than any other team I have watched this year. Our offensive line play (other than for the run) is simply offensive. Tanner is going to blow away all of BYU's passing records by the time he leaves if he stays through his SR year, which is saying something. I feel that Taysom won the job this year though because Ty saw something in him that he wanted to utilize while the offense was growing under him and that is why Taysom was chosen. Since Kalani said that they will have to work hard to get Tanner ready for the bowl game without Taysom I feel that all the coaches felt they had chosen the right guy to lead the team this year. I don't have a dog in this race, I just defend the dog that was chosen unless that dog clearly was the problem with the offense which IMO Taysom was not.

By the way, I liked your post. Funny, made me laugh. :)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I suspect we will have a better passing day against Wyoming in the bowl game. What we really will need to wait and see on is how Tanner performs against P5 defenses. It's an area where he has struggled in the past.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

He doesn't get drafted. Can't pass and can't stay healthy.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

He won't get drafted but more because he is 26 years old than his skillset. There are a bunch of guys who do what he does and are much younger. If it weren't for his injuries and age, he would be a 1st round pick with his skillset.

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

frdbtr wrote:He won't get drafted but more because he is 26 years old than his skillset. There are a bunch of guys who do what he does and are much younger. If it weren't for his injuries and age, he would be a 1st round pick with his skillset.
I don't think he was as fast or quick after his foot injury. But he still was able to become the starting QB.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Maybe he was still recovering from the injury. I know nothing about how long it takes.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

So his draft report was pretty much everything me and the other "haters" were saying all season....

:whistle:

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

Brayden Green wrote:So his draft report was pretty much everything me and the other "haters" were saying all season....

And Tanner just dazzled me in the bowl game. Ty said that Tanner could not even recognize the simple BASIC coverages... :whistle:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SenorCougar wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:So his draft report was pretty much everything me and the other "haters" were saying all season....

And Tanner just dazzled me in the bowl game. Ty said that Tanner could not even recognize the simple BASIC coverages... :whistle:
The problem all year was not the QB, it was the receivers and the offensive lines pass blocking. Everyone can blame the wet ball but the ball bounced off of the hands of receivers all year and the bowl game was no different. I keep harping on this but if we don't have a MAJOR improvement with our receivers and pass blocking, BYU is going to really struggle this year without the run threat that Taysom offered the offense.