What was your first reaction...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What was your first reaction...

Post by EM_Puma »

What was your first reaction when you found out that BYU would face the Wyoming Cowboys in the Poinsettia Bowl?

I'm curious if it was just me, but it was hard to be excited. This is a team whose coach swore they would never schedule BYU again after we left the MWC and a fan base that had a history of being the most crude of those we routinely played. Add to that the fact that even though they have a descent team this season (they beat Boise, while we did not), they still lost to 7-5 Eastern Michigan University (who by the way lost to Toledo).

I just don't feel like you win a whole lot in saying you beat Wyoming and if you lose to them, that would suck about as much, or more, as it was in losing to UVU this season in BB.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: What was your first reaction...

Post by hawkwing »

Disappointed.

I have never met a single Wyoming fan that has been kind or gracious.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

There certainly is a healthy number of fans who despise all things BYU and aren't afraid to show it. :)

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Well at least they have a new coach with no history playing us. Let's beat them down and enjoy it. No reaction as it was rumored for a while.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I would have rather played San Diego state but it doesn't matter. With the exception of BYU/Wyoming fans, no one will remember the outcome of this game past the day it is played.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Meh. Better than SDSU. I don't like playing them on their home field. If it had been SDSU in the LV bowl that's a different story.

I wish Holmoe had signed a contingency with the lower level PAC or Big12 bowls. Could have gone to any of the LV, Cactus, or Heart of Dallas bowls this year.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I agree with the contingency. I heard that 6-5 Army goes to the Heart of Dallas bowl for $1.1M almost double the Poinsettia bowl.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Bowl payouts http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl ... edule.html

How about a deal to get into the Cure bowl at $1.35M and replace a Sunbelt team. Miami Beach bowl is $1.0M for a MAC team.
Two 5-7 teams got to go bowling however the bowls were not a lot of money.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

It appears that bowl contracts are the most difficult part of football scheduling. However, I do think we need to get some more variability for bowl destinations and opponents. I really dislike knowing the bowl destination 2 months before the end of the season. Last year had a little bit of excitement - Las Vegas or Hawaii? It felt like we actually had something to play for.

If we had NO bowl contract this year, BYU could have ended up in DFW against either Army or Navy. (The B12 and B1G didn't have enough eligible teams to fill in the Armed Forces and Heart of Dallas bowls - so LA Tech and North Texas - who is 5-7, by the way - fill in).

Navy in DFW would have been fun.

Also, Boise St. gets Baylor in Phoenix - backfilling for the PAC.

Houston gets SDSU in Vegas - again, backfilling for the PAC.

I would like to see all of the following as at least options, with the ultimate destination depending on whether conferences can fill their bowl allotments and the attractiveness of BYU's season:

TIER 1 (contingent backup)
1) Holiday (San Diego, CA) v. PAC or B1G (backup)
2) Cactus (Phoenix, AZ) v. PAC or B12 (backup)
3) Foster Farms (Santa Clara, CA) v. PAC or B1G (backup)
4) Texas (Houston, TX) v. B12 or SEC

TIER 2 (v. PAC, B12, or B1G - no more than 2x in 6 years for any particular bowl)
5) Las Vegas v. PAC
6) Heart of Dallas v. B1G
7) Armed Forces v. B12 (or Army or AAC...Navy, Houston, SMU)

TIER 3 (v. MWC or AAC)
8 ) Poinsettia v. MWC or AAC
9) Hawaii v. MWC or AAC
10) Miami Beach v. AAC

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I was thinking it was ok. We have an improved Wyoming team who we regularly trounced back in the MWC days. How much better are they? I think a good, solid thumping would help keep them in their place. Where they belong.

I think that Jamaal will have a fun rushing day, and will be spelled with Tanner's throwing attack. I think we will finally get a 100 yard receiver, maybe Kurtz or MLP. Wyoming will be overhyped, and we win in the trenches to a bunch of nasty good ole boys who use religion as an "othering" agent.